What are my chances? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Jchan

New

What are my chances?

Post by Jchan » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:54 am

Hi,

Ive been out of school for 1 year,(working full time if that helps), with a 2.6 undergrad gpa and am scoring in the low 170s.
Im still very new to the idea of law school so forgive me, i really dont know much. I live in NY and am def. Willing to relocate to get in to a better law school if i have to. I guess my strategy thus far is to figure out what chances of getting in where and apply to all. Any tips and advice? Also, any idea if i may even get scholarships with such a low gpa? Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

soj

Platinum

Re: What are my chances?

Post by soj » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:19 pm

Low 170s is a good sign, but try to do even better. Read this article on how to have a successful splitter cycle. You're probably not going to get a lot of money anywhere, but WUSTL and Illinois are known to be generous to splitters. Northwestern and maybe Georgetown are probably your only realistic T14 options, but you won't get much money from them.

Jchan

New

Post by Jchan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:43 am

Thanks for your input!
Yea, I've looked on the law school predictor plenty of times myself. the "DENY" shows up much less when I increase the lsat score even 1 or 2 points. Hopefully I will be able to bring my score up by the time I take it! Do you think if I scored higher on the lsat I would then get some money? :?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:47 am

Jchan wrote:Thanks for your input!
Yea, I've looked on the law school predictor plenty of times myself. the "DENY" shows up much less when I increase the lsat score even 1 or 2 points. Hopefully I will be able to bring my score up by the time I take it! Do you think if I scored higher on the lsat I would then get some money? :?
LSP breaks down for extreme splitters like you. With a 2.6, the difference between a 172 and 177 is minimal at best because 172 is above the median of any school that would take you. With your work experience, Northwestern is your best shot at the T14. Consider applying ED to UVa or GULC if those are better fits for you.

What are your goals? Where do you want to practice?

Jchan

New

Post by Jchan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:39 am

Hmm... a 172 v 177 really wont make a difference with a low gpa like mine? :x
I'd definitely

Well I'd like to be in NY or at least the east coast. Not sure about what I'd like to do exactly though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:48 am

What sucks is that you're going to have to either pay sticker at a T14 or take a big hit in job prospects for a probably small scholly at somewhere like WUSTL, especially since you want east coast. Either way, you will most likely need biglaw in order to pay off the debt. So, your best bet is to ED to UVa, but blanket the lower T14. Get a 170+ on the LSAT to have a shot; 172+ to have a good shot. Apply early in the cycle and make sure your app is top-notch. Check out my guide as linked above for more details. Good luck!

Jchan

New

Post by Jchan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:56 am

But really, I'll go anywhere that'll take me

Jchan

New

Post by Jchan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:00 am

I'm really worried about application as well.. Im in the really early stages of looking into law schools - Don't have a personal statement yet, dont even know how I will get recommendation letters from anyone other than my current employer, and don't really know anything about law schools! I'm basically spending all my time on the lsat itself and definitely need to look into the other aspects as well. I just thought I'd be able to get more money than I thought!

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:11 am

Jchan wrote:I'm really worried about application as well.. Im in the really early stages of looking into law schools - Don't have a personal statement yet, dont even know how I will get recommendation letters from anyone other than my current employer, and don't really know anything about law schools! I'm basically spending all my time on the lsat itself and definitely need to look into the other aspects as well. I just thought I'd be able to get more money than I thought!
You have plenty of time to get all that together. I only submitted LORs from employers and didn't have a great PS. Check out people with similar numbers to you on lawschoolnumbers.com to get a good picture of what you can expect. Focus on the LSAT for now and lurk around on here to learn more about what you can expect from law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:42 pm

Jchan wrote:But really, I'll go anywhere that'll take me
Not for sticker. You will rue the day you decided to take out 250k in loans to land a job at 70k a year.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:47 pm

:shock:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”