. Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:38 pm

Last edited by Crowing on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

soj

Platinum

Re: Looking for advice for possibly retaking next cycle

Post by soj » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:49 am

Sorry your cycle didn't go as you hoped. I think retake/reapply is the best option. The safest option is probably September 1 ED at NYU or UVA. Penn ED and Michigan ED are a little less predictable, but you should have a decent chance. Check LSN.

If you get 175 or higher on your retake, you'll basically be a lock for NYU RD. I'm not sure if 1 year of WE is enough for NU, but it certainly couldn't hurt.

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:23 am

I'm a bit confused as to your application strategy. What was your rationale for excluding the T14 schools you didn't apply to? Also, NU w/o work experience was never going to happen with your GPA. You should definitely apply to Cornell and Georgetown. For schools that rejected you this time around, you will want to add something to your application. It's possible that your personal statement sends the wrong message, or maybe it's your resume, like you say (though this seems unlikely to me). Blanket the sub-HYS T14, work on your personal statement, and get some useful work experience (it could be important in the job search, anyway. Your next cycle should be better.

ahnhub

Silver

Post by ahnhub » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:45 am

Unless your practice tests indicate you have a very good shot of hitting 175 (like you were hitting 175 and above on average), I don't think you have to retake--it's very hard to improve on a score that good already. A 173 is good enough to get you splitter consideration everywhere, and probably to get you in somewhere ED. A really, really high LSAT retake (176-178) would probably get you into NYU and consideration at Columbia, but again, I would only retake if I felt like I had a good shot of getting 2+ points better.

There are plenty of people on LSN who reapplied early next cycle, and I would say 75% of them had better results. An ED to Penn looks very good, although the sample size is small. How much time did you spend on your app? You applied quite late, and the disappointing results might have been a result of timing as much as a poor app--you didn't apply to that many schools.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:07 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”