Early on, what are my chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Bucky Badger

Early on, what are my chances?

Postby Bucky Badger » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:43 am

I am currently a Freshmen at Iowa State University. I am currently studying "undecided" engineeing, but am leaning toward either Mechanical, Industrial, or Construction Engineering. At least at this point, I have a high interest in attend law school upon undergraduate completion.

I just wanted to see what my "chances" were to get into law school? I had a 4.0 my first semester, but as for this semester with more difficult classes, I see my GPA running around a 3.6-3.7. As for future years, my personal expectation is to achieve at minimum, a 3.5. Also, I am involved with various campus organizations and hold leadership positions in each. Does this add to the prospects at all?

I obviously have not yet taken the LSAT, but what would be a good score that would give me good chances to get into a "good" law school? What are the pros/cons with majoring in engineering and then applying to law school?

Thanks for the support, everybody! :D

rad lulz

Re: Early on, what are my chances?

Postby rad lulz » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:10 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 2014 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:50 pm

Everyone with a pulse basically gets into law school, your goal should be to get into a good one.

Alan

Postby Alan » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:51 pm

Bucky Badger wrote:I am currently a Freshmen at Iowa State University. I am currently studying "undecided" engineeing, but am leaning toward either Mechanical, Industrial, or Construction Engineering. At least at this point, I have a high interest in attend law school upon undergraduate completion.

I just wanted to see what my "chances" were to get into law school? I had a 4.0 my first semester, but as for this semester with more difficult classes, I see my GPA running around a 3.6-3.7. As for future years, my personal expectation is to achieve at minimum, a 3.5. Also, I am involved with various campus organizations and hold leadership positions in each. Does this add to the prospects at all?

I obviously have not yet taken the LSAT, but what would be a good score that would give me good chances to get into a "good" law school? What are the pros/cons with majoring in engineering and then applying to law school?

Hey! I went to ISU too. It is a beautiful school, isnt it?

Depends what "good" means to you. T14,T30, Tier 1?

Lets say you got a 3.5 engineering degree. A 160+ gives you a decent shot at Iowa/Wisc

Majoring in engineering is great if you want IP law. If not, then it may not be a stratigically good major for law school because its harder to get a high GPA.

Your clubs and organizations memberships and leadership roles wont really matter much.
Last edited by Alan on Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:55 pm

If you know you want Law school, chose a major that will allow yo uthe highest gpa possible as well as provide you with at least the chance of decent job prospects if you do not attend law school down the road. Aim for above a 3.5, many of us on the board wish we could go back in time to freshman year and get straight A's. Graduating with a 3.5 and 3.8+ could be the difference of attending any law school you would want (given good LSAT)

on the lsat note. No do not start studying now or something like that. General advice is to study about 3 months out from the real deal, and really no more than 5 months tops but to each his own. Have fun, enjoy college, but keep that gpa up.

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:13 pm

Alan wrote:
Bucky Badger wrote:I am currently a Freshmen at Iowa State University. I am currently studying "undecided" engineeing, but am leaning toward either Mechanical, Industrial, or Construction Engineering. At least at this point, I have a high interest in attend law school upon undergraduate completion.

Lets say you got a 3.5 engineering degree. A 160+ 170+ gives you a decent shot at Iowa/Wisc T-14

Majoring in engineering is great if you want IP law. If not, then it may not be a stratigically good major for law school because its harder to get a high GPA.

Your clubs and organizations memberships and leadership roles wont really matter much.

FTFOP

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:13 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:
Alan wrote:

Lets say you got a 3.5 engineering degree. A 160+ 170+ gives you a decent shot at Iowa/Wisc T-14

FTFOP

yeah, good looks. alan was not helping.

EdgarWinter

Postby EdgarWinter » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:46 pm

Return to “What are my chances?”