Advice for working professional applying to IP Law Program Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
misskat

New

Advice for working professional applying to IP Law Program

Post by misskat » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:05 pm

I'm trying to figure out my chances on admission into the University of San Diego part time Law Program.

My Background: I'm a medicinal chemist working in early stage drug development. I finished a Bachelor's in Chemistry in 2003 with a relatively low GPA (2.9). I then worked for two years as a polymer chemist for a company involved in the development of medical devices. In 2006, I went back to school and completed a Ms in Organic Chemistry (GPA 3.34). Since 2009, I've been working as a medicinal chemist at a research institute.

For about a year now, I've been thinking about getting into IP Law. I think my background would make me well suited for working in the drug patent, or even medical device patent sector. I have authored 2 papers and been a contributing author on 3 more, but I don't have any patents as of yet. Because I work in academia, I probably will not be working on getting any patents in the foreseeable future. I work and live in the San Diego area, and was looking at the University of San Diego Law School... specifically their part time law program. I have yet to take the LSAT's (will be doing that in June), but assuming that I do decently enough on my LSATs (low 160's), what are my chances of getting into this law program. From what I've read, your undergraduate GPA is extremely important. The median GPA of the incoming class of 2011 at USD was 3.34 (well above my undergraduate GPA).

Is it worthwhile even applying? Will my low undergrad GPA kill my chances in getting into this program? How heavily will admissions factor in my graduate school degree/GPA and work experience? Any advice/input will be greatly appreciated.

LOLyer

Bronze

Re: Advice for working professional applying to IP Law Program

Post by LOLyer » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:10 pm

Your LSAT is weighted a good deal more than any other factor, including your GPA. The LSAT pretty much makes or breaks you.

Take the LSAT. If you do well, you absolutely have a shot at getting in.

(also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I read somewhere that part-time programs have less competitive admissions criteria)

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:27 am

misskat wrote: Is it worthwhile even applying? Will my low undergrad GPA kill my chances in getting into this program? How heavily will admissions factor in my graduate school degree/GPA and work experience? Any advice/input will be greatly appreciated.
A lot of this depends on your LSAT score. While your GPA is very low (by law school standards), there are places that will forgive that to a certain degree with a high enough LSAT score. The grad degree/GPA won't help you that much in the law school admissions process, though there are certain schools that will love the work experience; it will, however, be invaluable while applying for jobs in the patent field.

As far as if it's worthwhile, I would say yes. You have a very marketable degree and resume for patent law. Even if you don't attend a top school, you should be able to find pretty solid work as a patent attorney with a Master's in Chemistry and work experience in drug development. While I wouldn't necessarily expect to be on drug patent cases (though your work experience might trump your lack of a PhD), I would be surprised if you couldn't find a patent firm to take you on.

misskat

New

Post by misskat » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:50 am

Thanks for the replies! I made an appointment with someone in admissions yesterday, and explained my situation. He basically said the same thing (that as long as I do well >160 on the LSAT, I would have a very good chance at being admitted). I guess I'm a little lucky, because USD is trying to build their IP program so people with advanced degrees and work experience in the sciences who are also interested in IP are deemed very attractive to the program.

At this point, I plan on using the LSAT as my litmus test. If I do well.. it's meant to be. If not, looks like I'm stuck in basic research for the rest of my life... I guess there are worse places to be.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:03 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”