I love me some tier 2

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
owwo
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:11 pm

I love me some tier 2

Postby owwo » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:23 pm

i graduated from an unranked university in 2006 with a 2.1 gpa @ 28 yrs old. Since then, i've worked in commercial real estate eventually become a co-founder of a commercial real estate fund and have spun off other ancillary companies from that. I scored a 168 LSAT and am looking to leverage my 6+ years of work/entrepreneurial experience into law school.

I'm not shooting for t14 or tier 1...what are my chances of getting accepted into a tier 2 school (like houston @ #51 or baylor @ #57). thanks.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: I love me some tier 2

Postby Br3v » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:42 pm

owwo wrote:i graduated from an unranked university in 2006 with a 2.1 gpa @ 28 yrs old. Since then, i've worked in commercial real estate eventually become a co-founder of a commercial real estate fund and have spun off other ancillary companies from that. I scored a 168 LSAT and am looking to leverage my 6+ years of work/entrepreneurial experience into law school.

I'm not shooting for t14 or tier 1...what are my chances of getting accepted into a tier 2 school (like houston @ #51 or baylor @ #57). thanks.


http://lawschoolnumbers.com/

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/

curiousnole
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:33 pm

Re: I love me some tier 2

Postby curiousnole » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:06 am

I'm so sick of people suggesting LSN and LSP for non-traditional applicants. Those sites are COMPLETELY USELESS for someone in the op's position. He's asking for opinions here on a unique situation, with a unique split, come on now. If he went by the bare numbers, which is what these sites do, he definitely would not get the info he needs. The work experience plays a huge factor obviously.

owwo
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:11 pm

Re: I love me some tier 2

Postby owwo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:21 am

^ +1.

those are my thoughts...granted my gpa's dismal, but how many other law school applicants bring my unique work experience/background as a co-founder and managing principal of a private commercial real estate investment firm with over $10 mil in assets?
Last edited by owwo on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: I love me some tier 2

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:22 am

curiousnole wrote:I'm so sick of people suggesting LSN and LSP for non-traditional applicants. Those sites are COMPLETELY USELESS for someone in the op's position. He's asking for opinions here on a unique situation, with a unique split, come on now. If he went by the bare numbers, which is what these sites do, he definitely would not get the info he needs. The work experience plays a huge factor obviously.


Completely useless? lol.

While being a non-trad is beneficial, the sad fact is that numbers are still a huge part of the game even for people with extensive work experience. Whether it's justified or not, that 2.1 is going to haunt OP.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: I love me some tier 2

Postby stratocophic » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:23 am

owwo wrote:i graduated from an unranked university in 2006 with a 2.1 gpa @ 28 yrs old. Since then, i've worked in commercial real estate eventually become a co-founder of a commercial real estate fund and have spun off other ancillary companies from that. I scored a168 LSATand am looking to leverage my 6+ years of work/entrepreneurial experience into law school.

I'm not shooting for t14 or tier 1...what are my chances of getting accepted into a tier 2 school (like houston @ #51 or baylor @ #57). thanks.
Catch you at WUSTL in the fall, mang

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15524
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: I love me some tier 2

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:25 am

If your work experience is so badass I don't know why you'd go to law school, especially with that GPA.

But if you want a Tier 2 school, you'll get one. No one can say for sure which ones, so apply to a lot of them.

WUSTL advice is credited.

owwo
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:11 pm

Re: I love me some tier 2

Postby owwo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:28 am

my motivation for law school is to gear up for the next phase in life...politics being a major part of it...and on a purely sentimental note, it's fulfilling a promise that's long in coming.

User avatar
R86
Posts: 476
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: I love me some tier 2

Postby R86 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:41 am

:D
Last edited by R86 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pballer
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:58 pm

Re: I love me some tier 2

Postby pballer » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:41 am

I'm not a non-trad, but I applied last cycle with a 2.4/167 and had multiple T1 acceptances. You need to either selectively apply to splitter friendly schools or blanket the hell out of t1. Your numbers are likely wasted on t2s, because your LSAT being 8 points higher than their 75th percentile does nothing for their usnews numbers game. That said, im sure some t2s would bite too. Don't take this as me saying that your GPA doesn't foreclose some options, because it absolutely does, but you still have access to t1 if you apply to the right places, and since no one is going to give you good scholarship money with a 2.1 UGPA you might as well pay sticker at a t1.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: I love me some tier 2

Postby Br3v » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:45 am

curiousnole wrote:I'm so sick of people suggesting LSN and LSP for non-traditional applicants. Those sites are COMPLETELY USELESS for someone in the op's position. He's asking for opinions here on a unique situation, with a unique split, come on now. If he went by the bare numbers, which is what these sites do, he definitely would not get the info he needs. The work experience plays a huge factor obviously.


I lol'ed

pballer
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:58 pm

Re: I love me some tier 2

Postby pballer » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:57 am

lawschoolpredictor being all but worthless for splitters with a <2.8ish is credited. Lawschoolnumbers can be somewhat helpful, but there's a really small set of people with these stats, so the sample size is really small.

User avatar
fundamentallybroken
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:52 am

Re: I love me some tier 2

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:06 am

owwo wrote:^ +1.

those are my thoughts...granted my gpa's dismal, but how many other law school applicants bring my unique work experience/background as a co-founder and managing principal of a private commercial real estate investment firm with over $10 mil in assets?


You would be very, very surprised...

EMZE
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 am

Re: I love me some tier 2

Postby EMZE » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:09 am

LSP/LSN had me at deny /weak consider for almost every school T50. I am in at GULC and Berkeley. Non-trad matters if you can leverage it well in your PS/DS

User avatar
Tadatsune
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:17 pm

Re: I love me some tier 2

Postby Tadatsune » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:25 am

Uh, why do you want to go to law school exactly?

User avatar
turkishswat
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:34 am

Re: I love me some tier 2

Postby turkishswat » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:34 am

EMZE wrote:LSP/LSN had me at deny /weak consider for almost every school T50. I am in at GULC and Berkeley. Non-trad matters if you can leverage it well in your PS/DS


There are these things. They are called exceptions. Sometimes they do not follow the rule.

ahnhub
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:14 pm

Re: I love me some tier 2

Postby ahnhub » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:39 am

A 168 will get you into reputable schools. You should get into Baylor and Houston, although with that GPA it's unpredictable. You can get into WUSTL/Illinois/Indiana/Iowa with that score (maybe some of the U-California schools, too, I'm not sure). I would recommend targeting the best regional school where you work now.

User avatar
Always Credited
Posts: 2509
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: I love me some tier 2

Postby Always Credited » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:50 am

Schools will take him because given his companies, etc., they can probably mark him down as employed upon graduation. Little else matters.

owwo
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:11 pm

Re: I love me some tier 2

Postby owwo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:52 am

Tadatsune wrote:Uh, why do you want to go to law school exactly?



read my reasons, a couple of posts up. law school is a stepping stone for my plans, not an end goal.

User avatar
futurejdgirl
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 9:30 pm

Re: I love me some tier 2

Postby futurejdgirl » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:07 am

It's annoying when people constantly ask "why" someone wants to go to law school, when obviously OP has had enough work experience to grow on their own and come to the decision at a mature stage in life. If he wanted to stay in his job, he would. Move on from this.

Anyways, you have a shot at some lower T-1 schools for sure. Are you wanting to stay in Texas? I'm from here and I would suggest going for SMU over Baylor and Houston. I definitely think you have a good chance there with your LSAT. Baylor is also well respected in Texas but I think SMU has more connections with larger law firms, from what I've seen.

Also, I'm not sure about Northwestern's GPA range but they favor applicants with a lot of work experience. I'm not sure about how much they like splitters either but its worth looking into. There are lots of threads on this forum about splitter friendly schools - good, reputable ones at that, which could be worth your time.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: I love me some tier 2

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:37 am

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

t14fanboy
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:51 pm

Re: I love me some tier 2

Postby t14fanboy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:20 am

What a shitfest.

User avatar
GATORTIM
Posts: 1214
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Re: I love me some tier 2

Postby GATORTIM » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:43 am

owwo wrote:
Tadatsune wrote:Uh, why do you want to go to law school exactly?



read my reasons, a couple of posts up. law school is a stepping stone for my plans, not an end goal.



owwo wrote:my motivation for law school is to gear up for the next phase in life...politics being a major part of it


Uh, why do you want to go to law school exactly?

You can go into politics without law school.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: I love me some tier 2

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:09 am

Op wants to go to law school. Let him go to law school. He has clearly made himself some money ... better to blow it on education than by putting it up his nose (i guess). So anyway, Op... Your work experience isn't going to matter a whole lot. What will matter is the 168 on the LSAT... Many Tier II schools will let you in with that score.. Apply to a few of them and you should get in.

owwo
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:11 pm

Re: I love me some tier 2

Postby owwo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:48 am

GATORTIM wrote:
owwo wrote:
Tadatsune wrote:Uh, why do you want to go to law school exactly?



read my reasons, a couple of posts up. law school is a stepping stone for my plans, not an end goal.



owwo wrote:my motivation for law school is to gear up for the next phase in life...politics being a major part of it


Uh, why do you want to go to law school exactly?

You can go into politics without law school.



lol, i had no idea my "why" would be germaine as to whether or not i can get into law school.

to answer this and other questions- i want to remain in tx, particularly in houston, due to the fact that my personal investments in commercial property are here in houston.

the long and short of my "why" - one of my end goals is to finish with an MBA from HBS...obviously my 2.1 isn't going to cut it. i hope to leverage my gpa from law school (conditional of course on me actually making the grades) to land a position with military jag (af/navy, in order of preference). my hope is that my work experience in the private sector, my high gpa from law school, and my service as a jag would be enough to tip the scales in my favor with HBS.

sure, law school is not a prerequisite to enter in politics, but it doesn't hurt. Also being able to serve my country using my best abilities and strengths as a military jag, rather than as an enlisted soldier, would help further my goal towards becoming a public servant.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lawlita, massappeal and 3 guests