Chances at Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
karina

New

Chances at Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU?

Post by karina » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:11 am

What are my chances at Harvard, Stanford, Columbia and NYU?

GPA: 3.86 (from a top5 school based on the us news ranking)
Major: Political Science (expected to graduate with honors)
LSAT: 173
no legal experience, but have had research positions in the fields of poli sci and econ
Asian Female, non-citizen

I also have a few questions:
1. Would my citizenship status hurt me in anyway in law-school admission? What about during the job application process?
2. I am interested in doing intellectual property law (trademark/copyright). I saw from some posts on this forum that although the overall level matters more in general, it's better in terms of alumni connection and job opportunities to go to schools that are ranked highly in your desired specialty. So in my case, should I look into schools like UC Berkeley since it's rated highly for IP, although it's lower in the overall ranking compared to the schools I am looking at right now?

Thanks so much!

kaiser

Gold

Re: Chances at Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU?

Post by kaiser » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:14 am

My hunch is that you get into both NYU and Columbia, but most likely out at Harvard and Stanford (though you are on the cusp).

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:15 am

3 outa the 4 assuming decent personal statement and recs and applying early

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:17 am

thederangedwang wrote:3 outa the 4 assuming decent personal statement and recs and applying early
this or 2/4. The "out" is probably S, since you don't mention any strong softs. FWIW, I have a friend with virtually the same stats that got CCN, but not HYS

ahnhub

Silver

Post by ahnhub » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:20 am

If you haven't already checked it out: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/

You can plug into your numbers for each school. You will get into NYU and probably Columbia. Harvard could go either way, and Stanford who knows--my guess is probably not unless they happen to really like something about your app.

You are also a strong contender for full rides at lower T-14. General TLS consensus is specialty rankings don't matter.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:22 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:3 outa the 4 assuming decent personal statement and recs and applying early
this or 2/4. The "out" is probably S, since you don't mention any strong softs. FWIW, I have a friend with virtually the same stats that got CCN, but not HYS
Basically yeah, the numbers will get you NYU and CLS.

But you have an unique opportunity here of making your personal statement actually worth something since you are on the fence for HLS and to a lesser extent, SLS. Write a good one, and then get good recs and apply early...I see you getting in HLS

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:40 am

While specialty ranks basically never matter, there is some exception to the rule when it comes to IP. If I was going for IP, I would for sure take Berkeley over MVP, etc, and maybe even over Chicago. On the other hand, even though GW is ranked higher than CCN, you should virtually never take GW over CCN. So it matters a little, but not a whole lot.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Bronze

Post by Lovely Ludwig Van » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:50 am

I think you'll get into H if you apply early and don't bomb the interview. A lot of the people with similar type stats who don't get into H are retakers. Assuming you are not a retaker, I think you have a good shot.

karina

New

Post by karina » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:48 pm

Thanks a lot for your advice. I have another question- how early should I apply to Harvard then? Is sometime around the end of October early enough?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:52 pm

karina wrote:Thanks a lot for your advice. I have another question- how early should I apply to Harvard then? Is sometime around the end of October early enough?
Thats considered the later part of the early cycle. So it is still early, but if I were you, I would go earlier than that.

icpb

Bronze

Post by icpb » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:41 pm

karina wrote:What are my chances at Harvard, Stanford, Columbia and NYU?

GPA: 3.86 (from a top5 school based on the us news ranking)
Major: Political Science (expected to graduate with honors)
LSAT: 173
no legal experience, but have had research positions in the fields of poli sci and econ
Asian Female, non-citizen

I also have a few questions:
1. Would my citizenship status hurt me in anyway in law-school admission? What about during the job application process?
2. I am interested in doing intellectual property law (trademark/copyright). I saw from some posts on this forum that although the overall level matters more in general, it's better in terms of alumni connection and job opportunities to go to schools that are ranked highly in your desired specialty. So in my case, should I look into schools like UC Berkeley since it's rated highly for IP, although it's lower in the overall ranking compared to the schools I am looking at right now?

Thanks so much!
You have a decent shot at Harvard and Stanford if you attend HYPSM (especially HYS) for undergrad. I have seen stats at some of those schools. In at Columbia and NYU.
Last edited by icpb on Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lizaregina

New

Post by lizaregina » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:41 pm

For what it's worth, my numbers are very similar to yours (my GPA is a little lower) and I got 3/4 (still waiting to hear from S).

Lovely Ludwig Van

Bronze

Post by Lovely Ludwig Van » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:10 pm

karina wrote:Thanks a lot for your advice. I have another question- how early should I apply to Harvard then? Is sometime around the end of October early enough?
I'd apply around late-September/early-October. Last year I applied to H on 10/30 and got WL'd, this year I applied on 11/5 and got held before I got in. If you apply as soon as the application becomes available, there's no way they can miss reviewing your app along with the other first-batch apps (i.e. the batch with the highest proportion of admits). I spoke to an adcomm last year and she specifically mentioned there IS an advantage to applying early, as they have a lot more spots open at that point.

I truly believe that with the way LSAT takers are down and the scarcity of applicants with clean testing records (i.e. no retakes), you will get in as long as the rest of your app is solid.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”