Chances for t25

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Jredelman15

Chances for t25

Postby Jredelman15 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:29 pm

I have average softs and with a 3.36 GPA and 168 LSAT. I am not sure when to apply however. Should I wait until the fall grades come out and apply mid-cycle? I want to know my chances for UT, Emory, UCLA, USC, UC-Berkeley, GULC, and GW. I don't know if this matters but I am from rural West Virginia and have an upward grade trend with the last 4 semesters being 3.8, 3.0, 4.0, and 4.0. Any help is much appreciated.

Br3v

Re: Chances for t25

Postby Br3v » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:31 pm

Jredelman15 wrote:I have average softs and with a 3.36 GPA and 168 LSAT. I am not sure when to apply however. Should I wait until the fall grades come out and apply mid-cycle? I want to know my chances for UT, Emory, UCLA, USC, UC-Berkeley, GULC, and GW. I don't know if this matters but I am from rural West Virginia and have an upward grade trend with the last 4 semesters being 3.8, 3.0, 4.0, and 4.0. Any help is much appreciated.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-content/uploads/Law-School-Predictor-Full-Time-Programs.htm

Most people are going to tell you to retake your LSAT, you will open something like an exponential amount of more doors if you break 170.

Also nice job with grades last 4 semesters
Last edited by Br3v on Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

srfngdd6

Postby srfngdd6 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:32 pm

lawschoolnumbers.com

hurldes

Postby hurldes » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:42 pm

Here are my guesses...

UT -- probably out.
Emory -- definitely in with $$
UCLA -- maybe waitlist, but probably out.
USC -- probably in with no money.
UC-Berkeley -- definitely out.
GULC -- most likely out.
GW -- definitely in with no $$.

I think all except Berkeley are worth the application fee... just because there's no way Berkeley will accept a 3.3, unless you get like a 177 on a retake.

As far as timing your apps, the sooner the better. If you can get them in as early as possible you will have a better shot at getting accepted to any school. If a school is on the edge with you, they'll just waitlist you and then you can send them your fall grades as soon as they come out.

omninode

Postby omninode » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:49 pm

Most of the schools on your list will want a higher LSAT score. I had numbers virtually identical to yours, and I barely cracked the top 20, which I think is pretty typical. Retake if you can.

Jredelman15

Postby Jredelman15 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:53 pm

I have one difficulty that I overcame my sophomore fall semester. My brother was in a coma and ICU for a significant amount of time that fall and I considered dropping out of school. I dropped my hours and switched my major. Is this worth writing an addendum for since my GPA suffered. The reason for the low GPA was a poor first year being in the wrong major combined with overworking and lack of studying. Is this worth mentioning?

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:32 am

Your first reason sounds legit but your second just sounds whiny.

Postby 2014 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:19 am

hurldes wrote:Here are my guesses...

UT -- probably out.
Emory -- definitely in with $$
UCLA -- maybe waitlist, but probably out.
USC -- probably in with no money.
UC-Berkeley -- definitely out.
GULC -- most likely out.
GW -- definitely in with no $$.

I think all except Berkeley are worth the application fee... just because there's no way Berkeley will accept a 3.3, unless you get like a 177 on a retake.

As far as timing your apps, the sooner the better. If you can get them in as early as possible you will have a better shot at getting accepted to any school. If a school is on the edge with you, they'll just waitlist you and then you can send them your fall grades as soon as they come out.

This is probably too optimistic. I'd say UT, Berkeley, GULC are all extreme long shots, UCLA and USC don't look a whole lot better.

You should be fine at GW and Emory, I absolutely wouldn't expect any of the others.
Since you don't seem to care about location (applying to both east and west coast schools) you should consider applying to some midwestern schools and BU/BC to give you more options.

cmob

Postby cmob » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:12 am

With the legal field as depressed as it is right now, I'm not sure why someone would ever settle for a non-T14 with a year of GPA and a retake in their back pocket. Even if you have to take a year off, improvements in both stats, plus time to structure amazing applications, would net you some serious scholly money.

Jredelman15

Postby Jredelman15 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:05 pm

cmob wrote:With the legal field as depressed as it is right now, I'm not sure why someone would ever settle for a non-T14 with a year of GPA and a retake in their back pocket. Even if you have to take a year off, improvements in both stats, plus time to structure amazing applications, would net you some serious scholly money.

Appreciate the advice however I can take additional hours it would put me over 150 hours it isnt allowed by my school. I graduate in december and would exceed the 150 unless I went to school part time. Im out of options I have some decent softs and really good LORs.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:15 pm

Jredelman15 wrote:
cmob wrote:With the legal field as depressed as it is right now, I'm not sure why someone would ever settle for a non-T14 with a year of GPA and a retake in their back pocket. Even if you have to take a year off, improvements in both stats, plus time to structure amazing applications, would net you some serious scholly money.

Appreciate the advice however I can take additional hours it would put me over 150 hours it isnt allowed by my school. I graduate in december and would exceed the 150 unless I went to school part time. Im out of options I have some decent softs and really good LORs.

What do you mean out of options? Why can't you retake this June or October?

Jredelman15

Postby Jredelman15 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:20 pm

Samara wrote:
Jredelman15 wrote:

What do you mean out of options? Why can't you retake this June or October?

I should have specified, I am out of options on the GPA. I am retaking in October. I have been told that most schools dont look at the LSDAS GPA they look at the UG GPA instead. Is this true? The career options arent that bad in the regional schools (i.e Emory, SMU, UofH) from what I hear.

Return to “What are my chances?”