160, 3.96 GPA, Pepperdine?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ejs04100
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:30 pm

160, 3.96 GPA, Pepperdine?

Postby ejs04100 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:04 pm

Does anyone have any thoughts on my chances at getting into Pepperdine's JD/Master's of Dispute Resolution Program? I think my LSAT may be a little low, but I have law firm experience, strong softs, and as mentioned, a 3.96 GPA. Any input would be appreciated!

lsatcrazy
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 8:08 pm

Re: 160, 3.96 GPA, Pepperdine?

Postby lsatcrazy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:07 pm

IBTRetake

User avatar
Geetar Man
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:13 am

Re: 160, 3.96 GPA, Pepperdine?

Postby Geetar Man » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Seriously, dude. If you can retake and bump your lsat to a 170 +, Pepperdine won't be in your scope of schools to attend.

T14 or bust with that GPA.

User avatar
moneybagsphd
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: 160, 3.96 GPA, Pepperdine?

Postby moneybagsphd » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:21 pm

Geetar Man wrote:Seriously, dude. If you can retake and bump your lsat to a 170 +, Pepperdine won't be in your scope of schools to attend.

T14 or bust with that GPA.

User avatar
buckilaw
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

Re: 160, 3.96 GPA, Pepperdine?

Postby buckilaw » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:31 pm

Wouldn't you rather be asking us if you should attend Harvard or Columbia with money? Retake.

ejs04100
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:30 pm

Re: 160, 3.96 GPA, Pepperdine?

Postby ejs04100 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:33 pm

I think I've pretty much maxed out on my LSAT...and Pepperdine has the best JD/MDR Program in the country which is why I'm considering it.

lsatcrazy
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 8:08 pm

Re: 160, 3.96 GPA, Pepperdine?

Postby lsatcrazy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:40 pm

ejs04100 wrote:I think I've pretty much maxed out on my LSAT...and Pepperdine has the best JD/MDR Program in the country which is why I'm considering it.

Uh oh...now youve done it...

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: 160, 3.96 GPA, Pepperdine?

Postby spleenworship » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:41 pm

ejs04100 wrote:I think I've pretty much maxed out on my LSAT...and Pepperdine has the best JD/MDR Program in the country which is why I'm considering it.


How many times and how did you study? Also, dual degree virtually useless.

ejs04100
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:30 pm

Re: 160, 3.96 GPA, Pepperdine?

Postby ejs04100 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:46 pm

I've only taken my LSAT once, but I studied using practice tests, Princeton Review books, and a prep course. I had been averaging 156 on prep tests, so I was pretty happy with a 160. I realize I'm a "reverse-splitter" but I never had my heart set on a T-14. @Spleenworship, why do you say that dual degrees are virtually worthless?

ejs04100
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:30 pm

Re: 160, 3.96 GPA, Pepperdine?

Postby ejs04100 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:48 pm

I'd also like if I could get some input regarding my original question if anyone has an insight! Thanks.

User avatar
Geetar Man
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:13 am

Re: 160, 3.96 GPA, Pepperdine?

Postby Geetar Man » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:50 pm

You're pretty much in, assuming there is nothing else that would bar you from attending:

http://pepperdine.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats


BUT, I think that if you're set on Pepperdine, you'll benefit in the form of CASHMONEYZ by retaking your LSAT.

Either way, enjoy Pepperdine.

User avatar
MachineLemon
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:47 am

Re: 160, 3.96 GPA, Pepperdine?

Postby MachineLemon » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:51 pm

ejs04100 wrote:I've only taken my LSAT once, but I studied using practice tests, Princeton Review books, and a prep course. I had been averaging 156 on prep tests, so I was pretty happy with a 160. I realize I'm a "reverse-splitter" but I never had my heart set on a T-14. @Spleenworship, why do you say that dual degrees are virtually worthless?


How many full, timed practice tests did you take?

ejs04100
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:30 pm

Re: 160, 3.96 GPA, Pepperdine?

Postby ejs04100 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:52 pm

Geetar Man wrote:You're pretty much in, assuming there is nothing else that would bar you from attending:

http://pepperdine.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats


BUT, I think that if you're set on Pepperdine, you'll benefit in the form of CASHMONEYZ by retaking your LSAT.

Either way, enjoy Pepperdine.


Thanks @Geeter Man! I'm going to visit this summer, but Pepperdine has everything I'm looking for. I appreciate your response!

ejs04100
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:30 pm

Re: 160, 3.96 GPA, Pepperdine?

Postby ejs04100 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:53 pm

MachineLemon wrote:
ejs04100 wrote:I've only taken my LSAT once, but I studied using practice tests, Princeton Review books, and a prep course. I had been averaging 156 on prep tests, so I was pretty happy with a 160. I realize I'm a "reverse-splitter" but I never had my heart set on a T-14. @Spleenworship, why do you say that dual degrees are virtually worthless?


How many full, timed practice tests did you take?



10-15. The analytical reasoning was my downfall unfortunately.

User avatar
MachineLemon
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:47 am

Re: 160, 3.96 GPA, Pepperdine?

Postby MachineLemon » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:35 pm

ejs04100 wrote:
MachineLemon wrote:
ejs04100 wrote:I've only taken my LSAT once, but I studied using practice tests, Princeton Review books, and a prep course. I had been averaging 156 on prep tests, so I was pretty happy with a 160. I realize I'm a "reverse-splitter" but I never had my heart set on a T-14. @Spleenworship, why do you say that dual degrees are virtually worthless?


How many full, timed practice tests did you take?



10-15. The analytical reasoning was my downfall unfortunately.


Yeah, that was my weakness. I was able to really perfect it. Consensus says that the games (aka analytical reasoning) are the easiest to improve. That doesn't mean it's easy, haha, just easier than improving reading or arguments.

Have you gone through the powerscore logic games bible? I recommend it.

User avatar
Geetar Man
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:13 am

Re: 160, 3.96 GPA, Pepperdine?

Postby Geetar Man » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:35 pm

ejs04100 wrote:Thanks @Geeter Man! I'm going to visit this summer, but Pepperdine has everything I'm looking for. I appreciate your response!


No problem!

ejs04100 wrote:10-15. The analytical reasoning was my downfall unfortunately.


This, dude. What was your breakdown, by section, on your LSAT? Meaning, how many questions did you miss per section? If the number is high for logic games (analytic reasoning), then you need to retake. For it is believed and demonstrated all over the place that this section is the easiest (for most people) to improve on.

Depending on how many you missed, it could make the difference between Pepperdine @ full-tuition vs. Pepperdine for less than half-tuition.

I'm sorry, I know its not the advice that you want to hear. But since you're wanting to do the dual-program, I think it's in your best interest to get law school at the lowest price.

With that 3.98, you've demonstrated that you're capable and willing, so you have one more task before law school and thats to be willing to max out your potential on the LSAT, especially if you missed a lot in the logic games section.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: 160, 3.96 GPA, Pepperdine?

Postby spleenworship » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:45 am

ejs04100 wrote:I've only taken my LSAT once, but I studied using practice tests, Princeton Review books, and a prep course. I had been averaging 156 on prep tests, so I was pretty happy with a 160. I realize I'm a "reverse-splitter" but I never had my heart set on a T-14. @Spleenworship, why do you say that dual degrees are virtually worthless?


1. Powerscore logic games bible
2. 20 more practice tests
3. Retake. Go to t14 with $$$ to double or triple your chances of a good job.
4. Dual degrees are usually worthless because they cost more, take more time, don't significantly impact your employment chances or options, and you can realistically only do one thing at a time (ask an MD/JD at a med mal firm the last time they saw a patient- sure they use their medical knowledge, but not in any way that the average JD couldn't learn, and they aren't really practicing medicine... They are practicing law. It is the same with all of them...even your MDR isn't anything the average JD wouldn't learn in ADR classes that they actually needed).

ejs04100
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:30 pm

Re: 160, 3.96 GPA, Pepperdine?

Postby ejs04100 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:15 pm

Geetar Man wrote:
ejs04100 wrote:Thanks @Geeter Man! I'm going to visit this summer, but Pepperdine has everything I'm looking for. I appreciate your response!


No problem!

ejs04100 wrote:10-15. The analytical reasoning was my downfall unfortunately.


This, dude. What was your breakdown, by section, on your LSAT? Meaning, how many questions did you miss per section? If the number is high for logic games (analytic reasoning), then you need to retake. For it is believed and demonstrated all over the place that this section is the easiest (for most people) to improve on.

Depending on how many you missed, it could make the difference between Pepperdine @ full-tuition vs. Pepperdine for less than half-tuition.

I'm sorry, I know its not the advice that you want to hear. But since you're wanting to do the dual-program, I think it's in your best interest to get law school at the lowest price.

With that 3.98, you've demonstrated that you're capable and willing, so you have one more task before law school and thats to be willing to max out your potential on the LSAT, especially if you missed a lot in the logic games section.


@Geeter Man: I actually don't know what my breakdown was on my LSAT because I took the undisclosed February exam. However, on my practice tests I definitely missed the most questions on the logic games section. Do you know how dual-programs generally work, as far as tuition goes? I know at Pepperdine the MDR is approximately 18 more credits so I was under the impression that I'd just have to pay for the additional 18 credits. Thoughts? Thanks again for responding; you have been a big help!

ejs04100
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:30 pm

Re: 160, 3.96 GPA, Pepperdine?

Postby ejs04100 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:16 pm

spleenworship wrote:
ejs04100 wrote:I've only taken my LSAT once, but I studied using practice tests, Princeton Review books, and a prep course. I had been averaging 156 on prep tests, so I was pretty happy with a 160. I realize I'm a "reverse-splitter" but I never had my heart set on a T-14. @Spleenworship, why do you say that dual degrees are virtually worthless?


1. Powerscore logic games bible
2. 20 more practice tests
3. Retake. Go to t14 with $$$ to double or triple your chances of a good job.
4. Dual degrees are usually worthless because they cost more, take more time, don't significantly impact your employment chances or options, and you can realistically only do one thing at a time (ask an MD/JD at a med mal firm the last time they saw a patient- sure they use their medical knowledge, but not in any way that the average JD couldn't learn, and they aren't really practicing medicine... They are practicing law. It is the same with all of them...even your MDR isn't anything the average JD wouldn't learn in ADR classes that they actually needed).


Thanks for taking the time to respond!




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest