WTK: Univ WI - Madison chances for non-traditional student

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mikekw

WTK: Univ WI - Madison chances for non-traditional student

Postby mikekw » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:50 pm

Hello!

Here are the basics:

Wisconsin resident;
33 years old;
3.37 GPA (could be a 3.31, don't remember) with BBA: Business Management background;
LSAT to be taken;
Attended law school in Indiana for half of one semester approximately five years ago and left WELL before any grades released due to personal problems (never gave up on the dream of a legal career, just was forced to leave to handle matters).

If that's not enough, my career experience since school involves firearms sales, being a residential landlord, and being a real estate broker/auctioneer.

Any thoughts on my chances at Madison?

blurbz

Re: WTK: Univ WI - Madison chances for non-traditional student

Postby blurbz » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:58 pm

Come back with an LSAT score.

Good luck on the test.

mikekw

Postby mikekw » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:06 pm

blurbz wrote:Come back with an LSAT score.

Good luck on the test.

Thank you- I'll need it!

Perhaps a better question is what score I should seek if I want in at Madison.

wisc14

Postby wisc14 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:25 pm

Your gpa is low and not impressive, so you will need a LSAT score in the top 75% to be competitive (i.e. 165 or higher.

Outside of that, you will need a strong personal statement and will have to show the committee why are you trying to go to law school at age 33....

WannaGo

Postby WannaGo » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:14 am

With your GPA slightly below UW's 25%, you're going to want to do everything you can to get as high of an LSAT score as possible. Looking at the current and past cycles, your GPA isn't a show stopper but it does put you at a disadvantage. Also, your circumstances attending a different law school and leaving warrants a thoughtful "why Wisconsin" essay.

If you haven't yet, check out the following sites:

http://wisconsin.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/1112/?lsat2=180&lsatR=true&lsat1=120&lgpa1=1.00&lgpa2=3.31&urm=Excluded&status=3,6&type=jd
It appears this cycle, applicants with your GPA who were accepted at UW had anywhere between a 164-169. (Babyblue originally identified himself as a URM so I didn't include his stats.)

Play with the law school predictors below - it's where the majority of the 'TLS experts' get their information anyway:
http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-content/uploads/Law-School-Predictor-Full-Time-Programs.htm

http://www.hourumd.com/

A high LSAT score and a strong application package (LORs, PS, etc), yes you have a shot but it's going to require a solid LSAT and polished package. But hey, if UW is really where you want to go, apply and see what happens.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:13 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikekw

Postby mikekw » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:42 pm

Thank you both!

I'm just starting on my LSAT prep now. Hopefully I can raise things up! In 2001, I earned a 158 with little study. In 2006, I earned a 160 with a moderate/middle amount of study. I'd love to get a 170, though I don't know how realistic of a goal I've set for myself.

Mike

Return to “What are my chances?”