Work Experience and Northwestern ED

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
MachineLemon

Work Experience and Northwestern ED

Postby MachineLemon » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:58 am

Like many, I'd prefer to go to law school for free. My cycle has gone well, but I am not convinced that the debt I'd have to take out is worth it at any of the schools to which I've been admitted. I'm seriously considering waiting a year and EDing to Northwestern. I'll have two years of full-time work experience at a non-profit.

My stats (approx for anonymity): 3.75-3.79 GPA; LSAT: 175-179 (retake of <170)

Any sense of how Northwestern views WE outside of industry? Is waiting a year worth it?

A bonus to waiting: I'd have enough savings to pay cash for my COL (i.e. $0 debt upon graduation)

Thanks!

Samara

Re: Work Experience and Northwestern ED

Postby Samara » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:41 am

I haven't heard of NU discriminating between "industry" work and non-profit work. People who worked a substantive position for Goldman or something, might get an extra boost, but your WE wouldn't be seen negatively. FWIW, I got in with a 175/3.09 and all four years of my WE is with non-profits.

Based on your numbers, you would definitely be competitive for the ED scholarship. Is your job above administrative assistant? Is the non-profit a stable, respected organization or is it a fringe group run out of someone's garage?

I think it's worth it for you to wait. However, keep in mind that no one knows if the ED scholarship will be available next cycle. This is the first year for it and they may decide not to do it again. However, if you have a stable job, it wouldn't hurt and you might still get a full-ride to NU or somewhere comparable.

MachineLemon

Postby MachineLemon » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:05 am

Samara wrote:Based on your numbers, you would definitely be competitive for the ED scholarship. Is your job above administrative assistant? Is the non-profit a stable, respected organization or is it a fringe group run out of someone's garage?

I think it's worth it for you to wait. However, keep in mind that no one knows if the ED scholarship will be available next cycle. This is the first year for it and they may decide not to do it again. However, if you have a stable job, it wouldn't hurt and you might still get a full-ride to NU or somewhere comparable.

It's new and growing, but it's not a fringe group. It's a non-partisan organization that promotes informed voting. My work is substantial and law-related--mostly research and writing.

Any indications that the ED scholarship won't be around? When might that be announced? I don't mind losing a deposit to wait and see.

Samara

Postby Samara » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:18 am

MachineLemon wrote:It's new and growing, but it's not a fringe group. It's a non-partisan organization that promotes informed voting. My work is substantial and law-related--mostly research and writing.

Any indications that the ED scholarship won't be around? When might that be announced? I don't mind losing a deposit to wait and see.

Cool, sounds like substantial (and interesting) WE. I haven't seen any indication that it won't come back, but I haven't seen any indication that it will. I think you should go for it.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:23 am

No matter what, schools will be giving out full rides in some form or another next year. You have very little to lose and something to potentially gain by sitting out (better hiring cycle thanks to your more substantive work experience, potential scholarship $$).

Return to “What are my chances?”