Ole Miss and other chances

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mmdeacon

Ole Miss and other chances

Postby mmdeacon » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:44 am

Hi TLS,

I've been lurking this site for quite a while, signed up for the forums recently, and then continued lurking. This is my first post, so please, go easy on me (already, I realize that's not TLS' strongest suit). :lol:

(I'm going to bold what I think TLS will find important to avoid TL;DR.)

Basically, I've fallen in love with Ole Miss law, and I'm terrified that they're going to break my heart. Others on my list include U Michigan (I know that I have about zero chance, but I have some vague ties there, so I threw my hat in the ring), Pittsburgh (I like some of their programs, but thinking back, there is nothing in Pittsburgh for me really), Michigan State, Wayne State, UDM (my soon-to-be in-laws are all in Michigan, many of them in Detroit), SUNY Buffalo (nearest to my own hometown), St. Thomas (fee waiver), Ohio Northern (because why not?), and recently, Mississippi College (free application? Count me in).

21 year old white female, currently at a really, really tiny liberal arts college

GPA: 3.05
LSAT: 162
Residency: Upstate New York
Major: International Studies

graduating a year ahead of schedule
I work two jobs
dabbled with every student organization known to man
I speak decent Spanish.

(Oh, and my GPA got dragged down mostly by mediocre or poor grades in Bookbinding, Letterpress Printing, and Ballet.)

Should I be worried about Ole Miss? If I don't get in there, will I at least be a shoo-in for UDM or (preferably) Wayne so I can at least live in Detroit and buy a home for the price of a VCR?

Edited for brevity's sake and to not sound like such a rambling fool.

(Please assuage my fears.)
Last edited by mmdeacon on Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

MrPapagiorgio

Re: I'm in love.

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:49 am

wtf

nkp007

Postby nkp007 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:57 am

wut the wut.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:58 am

honestly, if you're for real everyone is going to tell you to retake and they're right. your work experience might count as real work experience for a school like NU (which loves splitters) which is a hell of a lot better than going to Ole Miss no matter how much you love it.

having said that (which you probably don't want to hear), TLS can't tell you where you'll get in any better than lawschoolnumbers can. white females don't need what are my chances thread because there's nothing we can say that LSN can't.

best of luck, hope you'll retake :)

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:00 am

mmdeacon wrote:(Oh, and my GPA got dragged down mostly by mediocre or poor grades in Bookbinding, Letterpress Printing, and Ballet.)

No chance you are for real.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:02 am

You live in upstate NY and want to go to Detroit Mercy or Ol Miss?
I'm confused as to how you plan on using either of these degrees in markets that probably aren't going to look too fondly on "foreigners" and that won't travel back to your home state.

mmdeacon

Postby mmdeacon » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:09 am

snehpets wrote:honestly, if you're for real everyone is going to tell you to retake and they're right. your work experience might count as real work experience for a school like NU (which loves splitters) which is a hell of a lot better than going to Ole Miss no matter how much you love it.

having said that (which you probably don't want to hear), TLS can't tell you where you'll get in any better than lawschoolnumbers can. white females don't need what are my chances thread because there's nothing we can say that LSN can't.

best of luck, hope you'll retake :)

Thanks for the actual help, I'll keep the option of retaking in mind. I've been thinking about just waiting until next year, but on the other hand, I (of course) don't want to.

I don't know why it's so hard to believe that I'm "real" though.

You live in upstate NY and want to go to Detroit Mercy or Ol Miss?
I'm confused as to how you plan on using either of these degrees in markets that probably aren't going to look too fondly on "foreigners" and that won't travel back to your home state.

Those are places I could see myself living. I have ties to Detroit and Kalamazoo. As for Ole Miss, Oxford is a place I'd love to live.

No chance you are for real.

No, it's true. Those classes were my requirements for Arts and PE. I tried new things and made the mistake of not trying new things Pass/Fail.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:10 am

It will be very difficult for you to show that you're invested in Oxford long term. Also, do not go to UDM. If you must, Mich State, but not UDM

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:15 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:17 am

rad lulz wrote:MS (along with SC) is probably the most insular market in the nation. One of my bros goes there, and a substantial portion of the hiring is based on "who ya know." You know no one. Also you are a Yankee. And the degree doesn't really travel outside of MS. Going to Ole Miss wouldn't be a disastrous decision financially, because it's cheap, but it would be a pretty bad decision if you want to, ya know, be an actual lawyer.

What if the end goal here is to get the MRS degree? I think Ole Miss would be a solid choice for that.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:18 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:20 am

rad lulz wrote:
descartesb4thehorse wrote:
rad lulz wrote:MS (along with SC) is probably the most insular market in the nation. One of my bros goes there, and a substantial portion of the hiring is based on "who ya know." You know no one. Also you are a Yankee. And the degree doesn't really travel outside of MS. Going to Ole Miss wouldn't be a disastrous decision financially, because it's cheap, but it would be a pretty bad decision if you want to, ya know, be an actual lawyer.

What if the end goal here is to get the MRS degree? I think Ole Miss would be a solid choice for that.

She says she has some "soon to be in-laws," so I think that ship has sailed?

OP, while we're at the "retake/NU" advice, I'd also highly recommend not getting married until you're at least 24. I have it on good authority that that's not too young to have a meaningful, lifelong marriage relationship.

mmdeacon

Postby mmdeacon » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:25 am

JamMasterJ wrote:It will be very difficult for you to show that you're invested in Oxford long term. Also, do not go to UDM. If you must, Mich State, but not UDM

I think if I end up in Michigan I'd like to end up at Wayne.

As for showing investment in Oxford... you're right, it's certainly going to be difficult to show. I'm hoping I'll be able to work there through summers if I get in and eventually claim Mississippi residency.

MS (along with SC) is probably the most insular market in the nation. One of my bros goes there, and a substantial portion of the hiring is based on "who ya know." You know no one. Also you are a Yankee. And the degree doesn't really travel outside of MS. Going to Ole Miss wouldn't be a disastrous decision financially, because it's cheap, but it would be a pretty bad decision if you want to, ya know, be an actual lawyer.

Thanks for this input, it's absolutely something I'll need to consider wherever I end up.

OP, while we're at the "retake/NU" advice, I'd also highly recommend not getting married until you're at least 24. I have it on good authority that that's not too young to have a meaningful, lifelong marriage relationship.

I'm not really in the market for relationship advice, but thanks for your concern. The plan is for a long engagement (a matter of years) in any event.

tyro

Postby tyro » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:32 am

Waterman alt

Stanford4Me

Re: Ole Miss and other chances

Postby Stanford4Me » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:00 am

How does a BAMF get a 3.05 GPA and subpar grades in Home Ec. classes? STFU.

mmdeacon

Postby mmdeacon » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:06 am

Stanford4Me wrote:How does a BAMF get a 3.05 GPA and subpar grades in Home Ec. classes? STFU.

We can't all go to the top fourteen law schools in the country. Also, there were some grave family/personal circumstances that caused me to have to prioritize, and making books and standing on my tip-toes were two activities that happened to fall by the wayside.

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:38 am

tyro wrote:Waterman alt

Almost always TCR.

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:09 am

no underwater basket weaving?

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:38 am