Please help! 159/3.79

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jtjrd10
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:47 pm

Please help! 159/3.79

Postby jtjrd10 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:34 pm

I am in the process of figuring out which schools I will start my applications for the next year, and was hoping I could receive some help on what is the best school I could get into, as well as what are the schools who can offer me the most scholarship money. I will be graduating from the University of Michigan with a B.A. in Political Science and a 3.79 GPA. My only LSAT score is a 159, and I did play two years of community college baseball (team captain) before transferring to the University of Michigan. Additionally, I will be a volunteer teacher in American Samoa Islands for the next year. Any thoughts on what high-ranking schools I will have a shot at? What schools can offer me the most scholarship aid? Or if playing baseball will help? Thanks for all of the help!
Last edited by jtjrd10 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: Please help! 159/3.79

Postby paratactical » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:37 pm

You should really consider retaking the LSAT. How much prep did you do to get the 159?

User avatar
Mr. Pancakes
Posts: 1234
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: Please help! 159/3.79

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:38 pm

paratactical wrote:You should really consider retaking the LSAT. How much prep did you do to get the 159?

this, plus you have a decent GPA. You should sit this cycle out and prep for the June test. Apply early next cycle.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18419
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Please help! 159/3.79

Postby bk1 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:39 pm

1. CC baseball will not help.

2. Find schools in the area(s) that you want to practice in, those are the ones you should be applying to.

3. http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com (for figuring out your chances at various schools and what numbers are required for a scholarship at those schools)

4. Scholarships are based off of GPA/LSAT scores. Pretty much all schools give out scholarships, what matters is which schools offer scholarship to people with your numbers.

5. Admissions is based almost entirely off of GPA/LSAT scores.

6. Because of 4/5 you should retake the LSAT. A lower score won't hurt you (since they only look at your best score) and a higher score could net you tens of thousands of dollars in scholarship money or acceptance to a much better school..

jtjrd10
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:47 pm

Re: Please help! 159/3.79

Postby jtjrd10 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:46 pm

paratactical wrote:You should really consider retaking the LSAT. How much prep did you do to get the 159?


I prepped for nearly 6 months. I was originally going to take the October, but did not feel ready and sat out until February. Ideally, I would like to attend CU Boulder, but I would be happy with Denver or Santa Clara with money. Also, is it worth mentioning on my resume that I worked in a medical marijuana dispensary, or would that bring harm?

User avatar
Mr. Pancakes
Posts: 1234
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: Please help! 159/3.79

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:49 pm

jtjrd10 wrote:
paratactical wrote:You should really consider retaking the LSAT. How much prep did you do to get the 159?


I prepped for nearly 6 months. I was originally going to take the October, but did not feel ready and sat out until February. Ideally, I would like to attend CU Boulder, but I would be happy with Denver or Santa Clara with money. Also, is it worth mentioning on my resume that I worked in a medical marijuana dispensary, or would that bring harm?

I wouldn't mention that. some people still have very old school views about that stuff.

User avatar
chill
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:55 am

Re: Please help! 159/3.79

Postby chill » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:49 pm

.
Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

jtjrd10
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:47 pm

Re: Please help! 159/3.79

Postby jtjrd10 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:55 pm

chill wrote:
jtjrd10 wrote:
paratactical wrote:You should really consider retaking the LSAT. How much prep did you do to get the 159?


I prepped for nearly 6 months. I was originally going to take the October, but did not feel ready and sat out until February. Ideally, I would like to attend CU Boulder, but I would be happy with Denver or Santa Clara with money. Also, is it worth mentioning on my resume that I worked in a medical marijuana dispensary, or would that bring harm?


Can you be more specific about how you prepared? What was your diagnostic score? What was your average on practice tests?


I took the Blueprint Video course, and my averages were anywhere from 157-164 at the highest. I do not know how much I will be able to take it again, as I leave to volunteer teach in the American Samoa Islands at the end of May for a year, and was hoping to fill my applications there. I guess this will also have an affect on my application as well.

User avatar
Mr. Pancakes
Posts: 1234
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: Please help! 159/3.79

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:59 pm

jtjrd10 wrote:I took the Blueprint Video course, and my averages were anywhere from 157-164 at the highest. I do not know how much I will be able to take it again, as I leave to volunteer teach in the American Samoa Islands at the end of May for a year, and was hoping to fill my applications there. I guess this will also have an affect on my application as well.


If I were you I would want to take the test again to make sure that I maxed out my score.
A lot of people work full-time and study, me being one of them. You could also take it in October.

User avatar
chill
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:55 am

Re: Please help! 159/3.79

Postby chill » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:47 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
jtjrd10 wrote:I took the Blueprint Video course, and my averages were anywhere from 157-164 at the highest. I do not know how much I will be able to take it again, as I leave to volunteer teach in the American Samoa Islands at the end of May for a year, and was hoping to fill my applications there. I guess this will also have an affect on my application as well.


If I were you I would want to take the test again to make sure that I maxed out my score.
A lot of people work full-time and study, me being one of them. You could also take it in October.


Yeah. Retake for sure. Your high score on a PT was 5 points above your test. I think that, if you study some more (does BP allow you to rewatch the videos?), you'd be well-prepared for either October or December. Would you be coming home for the holidays at all? Maybe you can swing the December test into that trip.

I get that you probably feel like you should apply next fall, but if you get into the 160's (or push through to the 170's), you'll be looking at admission to your schools of choice with money (or, depending on how high you go, a T14-- don't underestimate your GPA. I would do all sorts of things for it.). You've got the PT scores to suggest you can hit the 90th percentile. Do it.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful and 3 guests