Applying Late, Chances

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
dbart914

Applying Late, Chances

Postby dbart914 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:57 pm

Hello all,

I just recently sent in my applications for a number of schools in the past few days. I know that ones chances of admission are less later in the cycle, but I am hoping I can get into at least a few of the schools I applied to!

I have a 3.14 GPA and a 162 on the LSAT

I have applied to:

CUNY
Ole Miss
Florida St.
Oklahoma
Howard
Rutgers

Law School Predictor says I should get into all of them, but do my chances drop significantly taking the late apps. into consideration?

Any advice/ information would be greatly appreciated! thanks

chw123

Re: Applying Late, Chances

Postby chw123 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:40 pm

dbart914 wrote:Hello all,

I just recently sent in my applications for a number of schools in the past few days. I know that ones chances of admission are less later in the cycle, but I am hoping I can get into at least a few of the schools I applied to!

I have applied to:

CUNY
Ole Miss
Florida St.
Oklahoma
Howard
Rutgers

Law School Predictor says I should get into all of them, but do my chances drop significantly taking the late apps. into consideration?

Where are you a resident? You should be perfectly fine at all those schools, save maybe OU because of they're kinda stingy on out of state apps, so that's the only place I seeing it even being a slight issue.

dbart914

Postby dbart914 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:57 pm

Where are you a resident? You should be perfectly fine at all those schools, save maybe OU because of they're kinda stingy on out of state apps, so that's the only place I seeing it even being a slight issue.[/quote]

Thanks for the response, I hope your right!

I am from New Jersey originally, but I should be able to claim residency in NY for CUNY, since I have lived there for the past two years.

Alan

Postby Alan » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:24 pm

dbart914 wrote:I have a 3.14 GPA and a 162 on the LSAT

Hello. I think youd be in at most those schools if you had applied in october.

Yes, unfortunatly, your chances do drop significantly after january.

If you dont like your options after you hear back, perhaps you should retake in june and apply early next cycle. I know you probably dont want to wait a year. Im just giving the advice i know I should follow but will ignore cause ZOMG I CANT WAIT.

fwiw, i applyed late and got into 2 of my top choices (UH and UMN) but without schollys...

TLSwag

Postby TLSwag » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:03 am

I have applied to:

CUNY
Ole Miss
Florida St.
Oklahoma
Howard
Rutgers

You should definitely retake & reapply.

omninode

Postby omninode » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:13 am

I would definitely wait and apply next year. Even if you don't retake, you will benefit from having more time to hone your application and think about where you really want to be.

TLSwag

Postby TLSwag » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:21 am

omninode wrote:I would definitely wait and apply next year. Even if you don't retake, you will benefit from having more time to hone your application and think about where you really want to be.

Maybe OP will benefit as an individual, or some shit like that, but the only thing thats really going to benefit his admissions chances is a retake. and every point counts homie

omninode

Postby omninode » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:03 am

TLSwag wrote:
omninode wrote:I would definitely wait and apply next year. Even if you don't retake, you will benefit from having more time to hone your application and think about where you really want to be.

Maybe OP will benefit as an individual, or some shit like that, but the only thing thats really going to benefit his admissions chances is a retake. and every point counts homie

All I can say is, in my experience, waiting a year was the best decision I could have made. Applying late in the cycle (as I almost did last year) can make you feel like you have to accept certain compromises, geographically and otherwise. OP is applying to schools in Florida, Oklahoma, New Jersey, etc. My advice is to take some time to figure out where you want to end up, and apply to multiple schools in that area. My two cents.

TLSwag

Postby TLSwag » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:09 am

omninode wrote:
TLSwag wrote:

All I can say is, in my experience, waiting a year was the best decision I could have made. Applying late in the cycle (as I almost did last year) can make you feel like you have to accept certain compromises, geographically and otherwise. OP is applying to schools in Florida, Oklahoma, New Jersey, etc. My advice is to take some time to figure out where you want to end up, and apply to multiple schools in that area. My two cents.

That is actually great advice. I just took a more in depth look at that school list, it was all over the place. Not sure what you were thinking there OP, outside t14 employment recruiting=regional. people should definitely know this before applying to law schools, sigh...

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:55 am

I have applied to:

CUNY
Ole Miss
Florida St.
Oklahoma
Howard
Rutgers

So your odds drop significantly applying late but they are infinitely better than if you didn't apply at all.

Perhaps the OP does have ties in all of these places and understands they are regional markets and they are all good fits for him/her. (possible if not all that likely.)

Sitting out a cycle may well be the best option but if he/she gets accepted someplace that they do want to live and work and has ties and has a way to finance it that will not lead to crippling debt going this fall may well be a viable option.

keyon

Postby keyon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:47 am

DELICIOUS SPAM

dbart914

Postby dbart914 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:03 pm

thanks for all the input guys, anyone else have anything to add?

Return to “What are my chances?”