Chances Are?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
VREBEL

Re: Chances Are?

Postby VREBEL » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:05 am

Re apply after I retake the LSAT.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:05 am

VREBEL wrote:Re apply after I retake the LSAT.

Sounds like the best choice for you. Good luck.

VREBEL

Postby VREBEL » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:40 am

Thanks for the input and suggestions everyone!

I probably have the lowest GPA and LSAT score in this forum and I know that many people that have read my post wonder why I even want to go to law school or if I could make if I did get accepted. My GPA and my first attempt at the LSAT do not accurately reflect my ability or potential in my opinion. I know that a law school can’t just take my word so I will retake the LSAT and properly prepare this time. Since I will not be eligible for Fall 2012 I will likely study and take the October or December LSAT and prepare to re-apply for Fall 2013.

My goal is to score at LEAST 20 points higher if not more. The term “splitter” is new to me…any thoughts on my 2.7 GPA and a new LSAT score of 165 or higher? Based on some information I read, Denver University looks at your higher score, but I do not know how accurate that information is.

R86

Postby R86 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:44 am

:D
Last edited by R86 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VREBEL

Postby VREBEL » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:46 am

Oh yeah!

My application status finally changed to "Application Complete/Ready for Review" earlier this week. I assume it will be at least 6 weeks before I hear anything from the school. I think we are all pretty sure what the result will be...Has anyone heard of withdrawing an application?

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:01 am

VREBEL wrote:Oh yeah!

My application status finally changed to "Application Complete/Ready for Review" earlier this week. I assume it will be at least 6 weeks before I hear anything from the school. I think we are all pretty sure what the result will be...Has anyone heard of withdrawing an application?

if you really want to go to denver you might as well just hold on. I know someone who I went to high school with that had a 3.0 and 147 that was accepted.
even though they were accepted to oklahoma city and denver they ended up not going to law school because of the extreme debt they would be hit with. That person has a pretty decent job right now and makes around 50k. definitely not ballin' but they don't have a 1500 a month loan payment to make either.

VREBEL

Postby VREBEL » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:17 am

I do want to go to law school at Denver. I do need to retake the LSAT and score very high to even have a chance of getting accepted with my low GPA and to have any hope of getting scholarship money, not sure that I can even if I do score very high.

That is what I am trying to figure out now...do I withdraw my application, study my ass off and retake and then re-apply? Or do I let my application get denied and then study...retake and re-apply?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:23 am

VREBEL wrote:That is what I am trying to figure out now...do I withdraw my application, study my ass off and retake and then re-apply? Or do I let my application get denied and then study...retake and re-apply?
Probably doesn't matter which. You're very unlikely to get in as-is (and wouldn't get any $$), but if you're just DYING of curiosity you can let your application ride out the cycle.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:31 am

VREBEL wrote:I do want to go to law school at Denver. I do need to retake the LSAT and score very high to even have a chance of getting accepted with my low GPA and to have any hope of getting scholarship money, not sure that I can even if I do score very high.

That is what I am trying to figure out now...do I withdraw my application, study my ass off and retake and then re-apply? Or do I let my application get denied and then study...retake and re-apply?

Study while waiting. If by some chance u get in then you make your decision then. Most likely u won't, so you keep studying. But if you do you need to evaluate the debt situation and consider the fact that if you do increase your score you could get a scholarship, most likely.

VREBEL

Postby VREBEL » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:44 am

Yeah, I know that even if by some miracle I was accepted I would not get any scholarship money based on my current status.

If I study until October or December and retake and score lets say a 170... what do you think my new chances of acceptance and scholarship money are with my GPA of 2.7?

170 is high goal but I know I can do it if I study. When I took the LSAT in Feb I did run out of time in each section and had to guess alot at the end, I didn't want to leave any bubbles blank. Also, my diagrams were so frekin sloppy on the LG sections...It really was a mess taking it on such short notice and under the circumstances that I did :?

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:45 am

VREBEL wrote:Yeah, I know that even if by some miracle I was accepted I would not get any scholarship money based on my current status.

If I study until October or December and retake and score lets say a 170... what do you think my new chances of acceptance and scholarship money are with my GPA of 2.7?

170 is high goal but I know I can do it if I study. When I took the LSAT in Feb I did run out of time in each section and had to guess alot at the end, I didn't want to leave any bubbles blank. Also, my diagrams were so frekin sloppy on the LG sections...It really was a mess taking it on such short notice and under the circumstances that I did :?

check out lawschoonumbers.com that should help you see what you may need to get money.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:48 am

VREBEL wrote:Yeah, I know that even if by some miracle I was accepted I would not get any scholarship money based on my current status.

With a 165 or better you are most likely going to get in, probably with a scholarship.

Aim for 170. Use the Powerscore Logic Games Bible (and Logical Reasoning Bible). Take every practice test ever made. You can do this. The test is learnable.

ETA: if you get 170 or better, apply to CU too. You can either go there if you get in (hard to say with that GPA), or you can use your acceptance there, even without a scholly, to negotiate for schollys. Actually, apply to several places out of state you are likely to get into. Denver Law doesn't know you don't want to leave state. Use the other schools acceptances and schollys to leverage a better one out of the school you DO want to go to.

VREBEL

Postby VREBEL » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:06 pm

I am definitely aiming for the 170 range if I invest the study time. I have about 7 Kaplan books and some others but I think I will pick up the Logic Games and Logic Reasoning Bibles. I have at least the next 7 months to study!!! I wish I didn’t have to live through the LSAT nightmare a second time.

That is a good point…I should apply to more schools.

Denver offers a Chancellor Scholarship (full ride) to 11 or 12 first year students based on past public interest involvement and a desire to pursue a career in public interest law. I applied for that to with my horrible, horrible current stats. Even if I do get a 170 on my second LSAT attempt I may still not be eligible for the scholarship with my GPA. On the school’s website they indicate that the scholarships typically go to students with at least the median GPA and LSAT score.

VREBEL

Postby VREBEL » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:31 pm

Is it common to get a lot of emails from other schools encouraging you to apply?

gaud

Postby gaud » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:43 pm

VREBEL wrote:Is it common to get a lot of emails from other schools encouraging you to apply?

Yes.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:53 pm

gaud wrote:
VREBEL wrote:Is it common to get a lot of emails from other schools encouraging you to apply?

Yes.

Let me add that u don't want to apply to most of them, either.

VREBEL

Postby VREBEL » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:02 pm

You mean Phoenix School of Law isn't a good school??? Just kidding.

Return to “What are my chances?”