174/2.76 GPA. Don't know what to do.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
rglifberg
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: 174/2.76 GPA. Don't know what to do.

Postby rglifberg » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:50 pm

bk1 wrote:
rglifberg wrote:lol well maybe you wouldn't but that vast majority of people on this forum would, which is the point I was trying to make, in a douchebag manner (intentionally), mainly because this is very little optimistic encouraging advice compared to the condescending negativity


Have you seen the legal market? There's nothing optimistic about it.


Yes, but judging from you total # of posts, I am sure you would agree that most of the advice regarding lower ranked schools is not sincere, and is given condescendingly

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: 174/2.76 GPA. Don't know what to do.

Postby Samara » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:58 pm

rglifberg wrote:
bk1 wrote:
rglifberg wrote:lol well maybe you wouldn't but that vast majority of people on this forum would, which is the point I was trying to make, in a douchebag manner (intentionally), mainly because this is very little optimistic encouraging advice compared to the condescending negativity


Have you seen the legal market? There's nothing optimistic about it.


Yes, but judging from you total # of posts, I am sure you would agree that most of the advice regarding lower ranked schools is not sincere, and is given condescendingly

lol, have you ever read bk's posts?

(not that he is condescending, but he's not afraid to be blunt about the extreme often present at lower-ranked schools)

Maybe read up on the legal market a little more before you get so chesty.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: 174/2.76 GPA. Don't know what to do.

Postby spleenworship » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:37 am

rglifberg wrote:
Yes, but judging from you total # of posts, I am sure you would agree that most of the advice regarding lower ranked schools is not sincere, and is given condescendingly


Look, as someone who goes to a T2 I can kind of see where you are going with this, but while the majority of posters on here are a little condescending about the lower ranked schools, I don't blame them at all. When I look at my schools ~70% JD required job stats I can't help but see the wisdom, no matter how condescendingly given, in making every attempt possible to go to the highest ranked school you can with the least amount of debt.

Now, the least amount of debt to rank ratio is something I am willing to argue with people about... that's why I went to my school, after all. But for people to give realistic advice about someone's chances of getting into a high ranked school- I really don't see an issue with that.

The simple fact remains that if you can't get into a T14 at sticker or a T1 or strong regional school with a scholly it probably is worth it to decide on a different career. Otherwise your ass could end up with 100K or more of debt and no effing job. That is serious /self land, and no one should voluntarily and ignorantly put themselves in that situation. If the condescension and sarcasm on here drives off a few people from spending money on apps they are almost certainly going to be denied from, or even better makes someone who has no business taking on debt for a minuscule chance of reaching their dreams reconsider their decision and drives them to apply to pharmacy or MBA or nursing school... I'm good with that. 30,000 jobs, 45,000 grads. Needs to be done.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: 174/2.76 GPA. Don't know what to do.

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:43 am

thisisme wrote:Echoing the NU advice, especially if you have WE.

You should also check out Whimsical's cycle on LSN: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/whimsical

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: This is my LSN info!! I came here to post this (have not read the possibly derpy argument that occurred in the past 2 pages).

If you have any qs about my cycle (I was 2.81/176, so slightly higher stats but I'm not sure that it makes that much of a difference), feel free to PM me! I was WL-ed at Cornell but I didn't put much effort into my app.

If you have WE, your best bets for T14 are probably NU and GULC. NU took a bunch of people ~my stats. W/O WE, NU is not likely to happen, but you will still have a shot at GULC. Expect a WL at UVa unless you apply early and with an ED application. Also, you could try applying to Cornell EA (not binding, but you hear back quickly) - this might give your app an extra edge. I personally missed the EA deadline because I had to submit a dean's certificate because my grades put me on academic probation for a quarter (another important thing to note and prepare for if Cornell is your top choice).

User avatar
kerflux
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: 174/2.76 GPA. Don't know what to do.

Postby kerflux » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:09 am

This is excellent input, but we were really more interested in having you chime in on the derpy argument...

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: 174/2.76 GPA. Don't know what to do.

Postby 2014 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:15 pm

rglifberg wrote:
t14fanboy wrote:
Samara wrote:This should help. Apply to any school that's green.

ED to UVa is your best shot at T14 if you are comfortable with sticker. Next best chance is NU if you have work experience, GULC if you don't. If you want a scholarship, WUSTL gives you the best shot for that.

Cornell is possible, but unlikely, same with Vanderbilt. The others on your list are probably not worth it considering the other options you will have.

What do you want to do? Where do you want to work?


No. OP's best and maybe only chance at a t14 is NU. I know LSN shows some 2.9/170+ people getting into UVa this cycle, but it is unlikely that the school will dip as low as 2.7 when they have not done so in the past. GULC also shows some people with GPAs similar to OP getting in, but maybe it's just an effect of this cycle. Historically, NU is the only t14 to accept people with 2.7s provided they have high LSATs and work experience.


How do you know they have not done so in the past? Are you an adcomm? Or did you come to that conclusion by looking at LSN, which is not representative at all....... Typical "expert" poster on TLS..... My sister just got in to W&L with a GPA & LSAT below the 25th percentile, which means no shot of admission according to "experts" on this site.

Grats to your sister on being a URM.

t14fanboy
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:51 pm

Re: 174/2.76 GPA. Don't know what to do.

Postby t14fanboy » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:47 pm

Haha. That was actually my first thought but I just didn't want to say it because he was throwing a hissyfit.

rglifberg
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: 174/2.76 GPA. Don't know what to do.

Postby rglifberg » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:50 pm

t14fanboy wrote:Haha. That was actually my first thought but I just didn't want to say it because he was throwing a hissyfit.


Not URM by TLS standards, my family is Central American, well half actually

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: 174/2.76 GPA. Don't know what to do.

Postby Samara » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:56 pm

rglifberg wrote:
t14fanboy wrote:Haha. That was actually my first thought but I just didn't want to say it because he was throwing a hissyfit.


Not URM by TLS standards, my family is Central American, well half actually

I'm no URM expert, but I believe that Central American heritage is generally given a small boost, but can vary from school to school. URM cycles are unpredictable and everyone on TLS will tell URMs to apply well above their numbers. So, your case is actually in line with TLS advice.

TLS - 1; rglifberg - 0

rglifberg
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: 174/2.76 GPA. Don't know what to do.

Postby rglifberg » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:08 pm

Samara wrote:
rglifberg wrote:
t14fanboy wrote:Haha. That was actually my first thought but I just didn't want to say it because he was throwing a hissyfit.


Not URM by TLS standards, my family is Central American, well half actually

I'm no URM expert, but I believe that Central American heritage is generally given a small boost, but can vary from school to school. URM cycles are unpredictable and everyone on TLS will tell URMs to apply well above their numbers. So, your case is actually in line with TLS advice.

TLS - 1; rglifberg - 0


That's good news for me then I'm glad lol

TLSwag
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: 174/2.76 GPA. Don't know what to do.

Postby TLSwag » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:05 pm

2014 wrote:
rglifberg wrote:
t14fanboy wrote:
Samara wrote:This should help. Apply to any school that's green.

ED to UVa is your best shot at T14 if you are comfortable with sticker. Next best chance is NU if you have work experience, GULC if you don't. If you want a scholarship, WUSTL gives you the best shot for that.

Cornell is possible, but unlikely, same with Vanderbilt. The others on your list are probably not worth it considering the other options you will have.

What do you want to do? Where do you want to work?


No. OP's best and maybe only chance at a t14 is NU. I know LSN shows some 2.9/170+ people getting into UVa this cycle, but it is unlikely that the school will dip as low as 2.7 when they have not done so in the past. GULC also shows some people with GPAs similar to OP getting in, but maybe it's just an effect of this cycle. Historically, NU is the only t14 to accept people with 2.7s provided they have high LSATs and work experience.


How do you know they have not done so in the past? Are you an adcomm? Or did you come to that conclusion by looking at LSN, which is not representative at all....... Typical "expert" poster on TLS..... My sister just got in to W&L with a GPA & LSAT below the 25th percentile, which means no shot of admission according to "experts" on this site.

Grats to your sister on being a URM.


Haha hit the nail on the coffin with that one. But seriously enough of this "expert" poster shit, T14FanBoy has given me solid advice on issues I have inquired into insight for and he is simply just trying to help OP get a better idea of the realistic legal market, and thus, where his applications (&ED) would be most effectively utilized. Seems like a valid post to me, and not condescending in any manner; if anyone is trying to live up to this image of an "expert" TLS poster, as you claim, it would be you, for contradicting valid advice, so take a look in the mirror bro. As much as people would like to believe otherwise, or neglect such advice, everyone the truths about "BigLaw" employment are the truths.

rglifberg
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: 174/2.76 GPA. Don't know what to do.

Postby rglifberg » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:35 pm

TLSwag wrote:
Haha hit the nail on the coffin with that one. But seriously enough of this "expert" poster shit, T14FanBoy has given me solid advice on issues I have inquired into insight for and he is simply just trying to help OP get a better idea of the realistic legal market, and thus, where his applications (&ED) would be most effectively utilized. Seems like a valid post to me, and not condescending in any manner; if anyone is trying to live up to this image of an "expert" TLS poster, as you claim, it would be you, for contradicting valid advice, so take a look in the mirror bro. As much as people would like to believe otherwise, or neglect such advice, everyone the truths about "BigLaw" employment are the truths.


When did I claim to be an expert on anything? I never gave any advice at all, so how you came to the conclusion that I am trying be live up to the image of an expert is beyond me. Great logical reasoning skills there bud. I also never mentioned "Biglaw" at all either. That was a really good try though man! You almost came across as witty over an anonymous online forum! Atta boy!

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: 174/2.76 GPA. Don't know what to do.

Postby 20130312 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:53 pm

rglifberg wrote:When did I claim to be an expert on anything? I never gave any advice at all, so how you came to the conclusion that I am trying be live up to the image of an expert is beyond me. Great logical reasoning skills there bud. I also never mentioned "Biglaw" at all either. That was a really good try though man! You almost came across as witty over an anonymous online forum! Atta boy!


You almost came across as not mad.

...Almost.

AriGoldButNicer
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:19 pm

Re: 174/2.76 GPA. Don't know what to do.

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:02 pm

The 174 is a great score. Op, you'll get at least a few great offers. Just make sure to have a good addendum, because a 2.76 doesn't effect top 14 medians anymore than a 3.6 does. It's definitely possible to get around it at MVPDCNG.

Mesosgiver
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:34 am

Re: 174/2.76 GPA. Don't know what to do.

Postby Mesosgiver » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:10 am

hi guys made an account just to post about ingoodfaith. id be mad too if i had made 2166 posts on an online forum and only made it into tier 2 schools too rofl. get outta here geek

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18415
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: 174/2.76 GPA. Don't know what to do.

Postby bk1 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:23 am

AriGoldButNicer wrote:The 174 is a great score. Op, you'll get at least a few great offers. Just make sure to have a good addendum, because a 2.76 doesn't effect top 14 medians anymore than a 3.6 does. It's definitely possible to get around it at MVPDCNG.


Shitty advice.

Just because it doesn't affect their median doesn't meant they don't have a GPA floor at most of those schools that would preclude a 2.76 from getting in.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: 174/2.76 GPA. Don't know what to do.

Postby 20130312 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:42 am

Mesosgiver wrote:hi guys made an account just to post about ingoodfaith. id be mad too if i had made 2166 posts on an online forum and only made it into tier 2 schools too rofl. get outta here geek


You made an account just to post this, and I'm the geek?

rglifberg
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: 174/2.76 GPA. Don't know what to do.

Postby rglifberg » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:59 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
Mesosgiver wrote:hi guys made an account just to post about ingoodfaith. id be mad too if i had made 2166 posts on an online forum and only made it into tier 2 schools too rofl. get outta here geek


You made an account just to post this, and I'm the geek?


hahahaha yeah, pretty much

User avatar
Geetar Man
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:13 am

Re: 174/2.76 GPA. Don't know what to do.

Postby Geetar Man » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:57 pm

rglifberg wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
Mesosgiver wrote:hi guys made an account just to post about ingoodfaith. id be mad too if i had made 2166 posts on an online forum and only made it into tier 2 schools too rofl. get outta here geek


You made an account just to post this, and I'm the geek?


hahahaha yeah, pretty much


I smell an alt within the quoted posts, except for Ingoodfaith.


However, Ingoodfaith does ask a lot of people if theyre mad, which makes me wonder if he's the one who's actually mad.

TLSwag
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: 174/2.76 GPA. Don't know what to do.

Postby TLSwag » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:56 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
rglifberg wrote:When did I claim to be an expert on anything? I never gave any advice at all, so how you came to the conclusion that I am trying be live up to the image of an expert is beyond me. Great logical reasoning skills there bud. I also never mentioned "Biglaw" at all either. That was a really good try though man! You almost came across as witty over an anonymous online forum! Atta boy!


You almost came across as not mad.

...Almost.


I got your back on this one InGoodFaith... clearly getting emotional over there rglifberg. Based on your former posts, I would venture to claim that your use of the word "bud" at times, implicitly reveals your highly emotional sate. Hence, in the example below, where you are clearly illustrating defensive behavior. Also, the flaw in your logical reasoning skills is inherent within your claim that you "never gave any advice at all." Is dictating that LSN is "not representative at all" not suffice for the term advice? Because that seems like your opinion/2cents to me, and your own flawed conclusion at that, but that's another story entirely. Moreover, your assumption is misguided in inherently linking the conclusion of being an "expert" poster to giving advice. One does not need to give advice to fulfill an image of being an expert; instead, your constant ranting on other's opinions/advice does indeed suffice for trying to convey an image of an expert, which is defined as, "A person who has a comprehensive and authoritative knowledge of or skill in a particular area." Boom.

spleenworship wrote:
rglifberg wrote:
Never said that. And a little flawed? Ok bud, whatever you say... I'm sure you would say someone with a 157 LSAT would be 100% rejected at Yale right? http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/profile.htm ... I'm just merely pointing out that there are many exceptions to these TLS "rules"

rglifberg
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: 174/2.76 GPA. Don't know what to do.

Postby rglifberg » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:20 pm

TLSwag wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
rglifberg wrote:When did I claim to be an expert on anything? I never gave any advice at all, so how you came to the conclusion that I am trying be live up to the image of an expert is beyond me. Great logical reasoning skills there bud. I also never mentioned "Biglaw" at all either. That was a really good try though man! You almost came across as witty over an anonymous online forum! Atta boy!


You almost came across as not mad.

...Almost.


I got your back on this one InGoodFaith... clearly getting emotional over there rglifberg. Based on your former posts, I would venture to claim that your use of the word "bud" at times, implicitly reveals your highly emotional sate. Hence, in the example below, where you are clearly illustrating defensive behavior. Also, the flaw in your logical reasoning skills is inherent within your claim that you "never gave any advice at all." Is dictating that LSN is "not representative at all" not suffice for the term advice? Because that seems like your opinion/2cents to me, and your own flawed conclusion at that, but that's another story entirely. Moreover, your assumption is misguided in inherently linking the conclusion of being an "expert" poster to giving advice. One does not need to give advice to fulfill an image of being an expert; instead, your constant ranting on other's opinions/advice does indeed suffice for trying to convey an image of an expert, which is defined as, "A person who has a comprehensive and authoritative knowledge of or skill in a particular area." Boom.

spleenworship wrote:
rglifberg wrote:
Never said that. And a little flawed? Ok bud, whatever you say... I'm sure you would say someone with a 157 LSAT would be 100% rejected at Yale right? http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/profile.htm ... I'm just merely pointing out that there are many exceptions to these TLS "rules"


LOL, you are really trying way too hard to come across as intelligent anonymously online. You are at least right in one aspect, because my statement regarding LSN can be construed as advice, however, that is not a logical reasoning flaw, but a reading comprehension flaw, which I missed when re-reading this thread because I forgot what I had written. I kinda do have a life outside of here and I have much more important things to do than having InGoodFaith's back. And regarding LSN, it is a self selective sample, NOT a randomly selected sample, meaning it is not representative. You should take a research methods class. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_bias Also, your argument about my unguided assumption makes no sense at all. I never linked being an expert to giving advice, I merely stated that giving advice as if you are an expert, as many people on here do is retarded, such as saying something regarding the admissions process has NEVER happened when you are not an ADCOMM. So hmmm me questioning the value of one's advice is me showing a comprehensive and authoritative knowledge of or skill in a particular area? I don't think so bud. Boom.

TLSwag
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: 174/2.76 GPA. Don't know what to do.

Postby TLSwag » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:34 pm

rglifberg wrote:
TLSwag wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
rglifberg wrote:When did I claim to be an expert on anything? I never gave any advice at all, so how you came to the conclusion that I am trying be live up to the image of an expert is beyond me. Great logical reasoning skills there bud. I also never mentioned "Biglaw" at all either. That was a really good try though man! You almost came across as witty over an anonymous online forum! Atta boy!


You almost came across as not mad.

...Almost.


I got your back on this one InGoodFaith... clearly getting emotional over there rglifberg. Based on your former posts, I would venture to claim that your use of the word "bud" at times, implicitly reveals your highly emotional sate. Hence, in the example below, where you are clearly illustrating defensive behavior. Also, the flaw in your logical reasoning skills is inherent within your claim that you "never gave any advice at all." Is dictating that LSN is "not representative at all" not suffice for the term advice? Because that seems like your opinion/2cents to me, and your own flawed conclusion at that, but that's another story entirely. Moreover, your assumption is misguided in inherently linking the conclusion of being an "expert" poster to giving advice. One does not need to give advice to fulfill an image of being an expert; instead, your constant ranting on other's opinions/advice does indeed suffice for trying to convey an image of an expert, which is defined as, "A person who has a comprehensive and authoritative knowledge of or skill in a particular area." Boom.

spleenworship wrote:
rglifberg wrote:
Never said that. And a little flawed? Ok bud, whatever you say... I'm sure you would say someone with a 157 LSAT would be 100% rejected at Yale right? http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/profile.htm ... I'm just merely pointing out that there are many exceptions to these TLS "rules"


LOL, you are really trying way too hard to come across as intelligent anonymously online. You are at least right in one aspect, because my statement regarding LSN can be construed as advice, however, that is not a logical reasoning flaw, but a reading comprehension flaw, which I missed when re-reading this thread because I forgot what I had written. I kinda do have a life outside of here and I have much more important things to do than having InGoodFaith's back. And regarding LSN, it is a self selective sample, NOT a randomly selected sample, meaning it is not representative. You should take a research methods class. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_bias Also, your argument about my unguided assumption makes no sense at all. I never linked being an expert to giving advice, I merely stated that giving advice as if you are an expert, as many people on here do is retarded, such as saying something regarding the admissions process has NEVER happened when you are not an ADCOMM. So hmmm me questioning the value of one's advice is me showing a comprehensive and authoritative knowledge of or skill in a particular area? I don't think so bud. Boom.


Yes, actually, I do think your questioning into the value of one's advice is trying to demonstrate comprehensive/authoritative knowledge in a particular area. Assuming you are also not an Adcomm, deeming someone's (credible) advice as invaluable absolutely comes across to me as attempting to be more knowledgeable on the subject.

rglifberg
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: 174/2.76 GPA. Don't know what to do.

Postby rglifberg » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:23 pm

TLSwag wrote:
Yes, actually, I do think your questioning into the value of one's advice is trying to demonstrate comprehensive/authoritative knowledge in a particular area. Assuming you are also not an Adcomm, deeming someone's (credible) advice as invaluable absolutely comes across to me as attempting to be more knowledgeable on the subject.


Well, as in your previous arguments, you're wrong.

User avatar
kerflux
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: 174/2.76 GPA. Don't know what to do.

Postby kerflux » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:04 pm

I want to apologize for fanning the initial spark of this flamefest. I had no idea the ensuing argument would be so drawn-out and boring.

keyon
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:52 pm

Re: 174/2.76 GPA. Don't know what to do.

Postby keyon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:58 am

DELICIOUS SPAM




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addie1412, ConLaw2017, curry4bfast, Google Adsense [Bot] and 10 guests