174/2.76 GPA. Don't know what to do.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Brian88

174/2.76 GPA. Don't know what to do.

Postby Brian88 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:22 pm

Obviously I can't go back in time and redo my undergraduate degree. I'm an extreme splitter.

I was wondering with my statistics (174 LSAT, 2.76 LSDA GPA) what my chances at these schools are:

1. Cornell (Seems like a long shot, but this would be my first choice.)
2. Fordham
3. Vanderbilt
4. Boston Univeristy (I'm a legacy if that matters at all.)
5. Pepperdine

If none of these schools, any advice on where to apply would be great.

Sucks knowing if I didn't screw up my first two years in school and had around a 3.5 I'd be a lock for T14.

stillwater

Re: 174/2.76 GPA. Don't know what to do.

Postby stillwater » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:29 pm

Northwestern.

kerflux

Postby kerflux » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:30 pm

oh ok, so you basically retitled my post :) lol

Don't be too sad; you're probably looking at a slight chance at schools that someone with a 3.98/155 would be immediately shut out of.

I'm hoping NU/Gtown for myself, I think NU is probably the most likely to bite.

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:33 pm

This should help. Apply to any school that's green.

ED to UVa is your best shot at T14 if you are comfortable with sticker. Next best chance is NU if you have work experience, GULC if you don't. If you want a scholarship, WUSTL gives you the best shot for that.

Cornell is possible, but unlikely, same with Vanderbilt. The others on your list are probably not worth it considering the other options you will have.

What do you want to do? Where do you want to work?

Brian88

Postby Brian88 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:52 pm

I would prefer to work in New York City. A lot of my family lives in NC so maybe I should shoot Wakeforest an application. What about my chances at UNC?

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:59 pm

Brian88 wrote:I would prefer to work in New York City. A lot of my family lives in NC so maybe I should shoot Wakeforest an application. What about my chances at UNC?

Are you a NC resident? They have a pretty strict quota for in-state students, but even if you are a resident, your chances are not good, IIRC. There's not a lot of data on LSN, but I've heard that there is a pretty strict 3.0 GPA floor, even for NC residents.

UNC and Wake Forest are not going to get you to NYC in all likelihood. They are great for NC, but don't hold much sway elsewhere.

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:02 pm

Samara wrote:This should help. Apply to any school that's green.

ED to UVa is your best shot at T14 if you are comfortable with sticker. Next best chance is NU if you have work experience, GULC if you don't. If you want a scholarship, WUSTL gives you the best shot for that.

Cornell is possible, but unlikely, same with Vanderbilt. The others on your list are probably not worth it considering the other options you will have.

No. OP's best and maybe only chance at a t14 is NU. I know LSN shows some 2.9/170+ people getting into UVa this cycle, but it is unlikely that the school will dip as low as 2.7 when they have not done so in the past. GULC also shows some people with GPAs similar to OP getting in, but maybe it's just an effect of this cycle. Historically, NU is the only t14 to accept people with 2.7s provided they have high LSATs and work experience.

rglifberg

Postby rglifberg » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:17 pm

t14fanboy wrote:

No. OP's best and maybe only chance at a t14 is NU. I know LSN shows some 2.9/170+ people getting into UVa this cycle, but it is unlikely that the school will dip as low as 2.7 when they have not done so in the past. GULC also shows some people with GPAs similar to OP getting in, but maybe it's just an effect of this cycle. Historically, NU is the only t14 to accept people with 2.7s provided they have high LSATs and work experience.

How do you know they have not done so in the past? Are you an adcomm? Or did you come to that conclusion by looking at LSN, which is not representative at all....... Typical "expert" poster on TLS..... My sister just got in to W&L with a GPA & LSAT below the 25th percentile, which means no shot of admission according to "experts" on this site.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:35 pm

t14fanboy wrote:No. OP's best and maybe only chance at a t14 is NU. I know LSN shows some 2.9/170+ people getting into UVa this cycle, but it is unlikely that the school will dip as low as 2.7 when they have not done so in the past. GULC also shows some people with GPAs similar to OP getting in, but maybe it's just an effect of this cycle. Historically, NU is the only t14 to accept people with 2.7s provided they have high LSATs and work experience.

While I agree with you overall, in the years prior to the 10-11 cycle, UVA definitely took some 2.7's.

rglifberg wrote:How do you know they have not done so in the past? Are you an adcomm? Or did you come to that conclusion by looking at LSN, which is not representative at all....... Typical "expert" poster on TLS..... My sister just got in to W&L with a GPA & LSAT below the 25th percentile, which means no shot of admission according to "experts" on this site.

Just because your sister is part of a very tiny exception to the rule doesn't make the rule invalid.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:39 pm

rglifberg wrote:
t14fanboy wrote:

How do you know they have not done so in the past? Are you an adcomm? Or did you come to that conclusion by looking at LSN, which is not representative at all....... Typical "expert" poster on TLS..... My sister just got in to W&L with a GPA & LSAT below the 25th percentile, which means no shot of admission according to "experts" on this site.

So your one case of anecdotal evidence beats statistics which might be a little flawed but are probably representative?

rglifberg

Postby rglifberg » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:07 pm

spleenworship wrote:
rglifberg wrote:
t14fanboy wrote:

So your one case of anecdotal evidence beats statistics which might be a little flawed but are probably representative?

Never said that. And a little flawed? Ok bud, whatever you say... I'm sure you would say someone with a 157 LSAT would be 100% rejected at Yale right? http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/profile.htm ... I'm just merely pointing out that there are many exceptions to these TLS "rules"

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:33 pm

You really are an annoying poster. But you're right, people should make decisions based on incredibly unlikely possibilities. I should buy a Maybach tomorrow because I could win the powerball.

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:00 pm

rglifberg wrote:
t14fanboy wrote:

How do you know they have not done so in the past? Are you an adcomm?
Or did you come to that conclusion by looking at LSN, which is not representative at all....... Typical "expert" poster on TLS..... My sister just got in to W&L with a GPA & LSAT below the 25th percentile, which means no shot of admission according to "experts" on this site.

Rofl. Maybe I just expected the reader of my post to have some common sense. Did I claim anywhere that I am God and know what the individual outcome of every applicant will be? I was offering an analysis of trends based on the limited data that we have.

Not representative AT ALL? That's a dumb statement. Just because data is not all-inclusive means it's useless? Even if everyone's data point isn't there, you can still try to glean trends that seem to reoccur cycle after cycle. LSN is the best tool that law school applicants have. It's a hell of a lot more credible than your anecdotal evidence.

And lastly,

rglifberg

Postby rglifberg » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:21 pm

LOL first of all you said that has "NEVER" happened. Second of all get a life outside the internet.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:22 pm

rglifberg wrote:LOL first of all you said that has "NEVER" happened. Second of all get a life outside the internet.

o, he mad

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:26 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
rglifberg wrote:LOL first of all you said that has "NEVER" happened. Second of all get a life outside the internet.

o, he mad

Check his other posts, he tso mad.

chill

Postby chill » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:47 pm

Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:54 pm

And apparently he either can't read or has the memory span of a goldfish. Did I ever use the word "never"? I simply gave the impression that it was unlikely (and assumed that the OP was intelligent enough to infer that I was talking based on LSN which obviously does not keep record of every applicant in the history of law school admissions).

You first bro.

kerflux

Postby kerflux » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:01 pm

Just an FYI, bro, the way you portray yourself leads even objective observers to believe that you're a douche bag. So many of your posts are negative. Clean the sand out, no one likes a whiny bitch.

thisisme

Postby thisisme » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:09 pm

-
Last edited by thisisme on Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:37 pm

rglifberg wrote:
Never said that. And a little flawed? Ok bud, whatever you say... I'm sure you would say someone with a 157 LSAT would be 100% rejected at Yale right? http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/profile.htm ... I'm just merely pointing out that there are many exceptions to these TLS "rules"

One 157 who got into Yale is an anomaly. Basing your chances off that is idiotic.

I would never tell someone they would be 100% rejected. Instead I would say something like "Unless you are URM with a good GPA, or you have some amazing softs (ie. Nobel Laureate, Medal of Honor, Olympic Athlete, Founded and ran Doctors Without Borders, Etc.) you are very likely to be rejected. It is your money, however, and weird things sometimes happen, especially at Yale."

Also, clean the sand out... you come off as a douche.

rglifberg

Postby rglifberg » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:38 pm

t14fanboy wrote:

I don't know how to bold but yeah... "is it unlikely that...... when they have not done so in the past."

How do you know that they have not done so in the past? based off of LSN? LSN is definitely helpful but to say a school has not done so it the past is a little much, which is the point I was trying to make

rglifberg

Postby rglifberg » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:41 pm

kerflux wrote:

Just an FYI, bro, the way you portray yourself leads even objective observers to believe that you're a douche bag. So many of your posts are negative. Clean the sand out, no one likes a whiny bitch.

Ohh that's cool bro, thanks for letting me know about that! You are correct about some of my posts being negative, mostly focusing on the negativity, pessimism, and condescension that is sadly pretty predominant on this forum

rglifberg

Postby rglifberg » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:44 pm

spleenworship wrote:
rglifberg wrote:

One 157 who got into Yale is an anomaly. Basing your chances off that is idiotic.

I would never tell someone they would be 100% rejected. Instead I would say something like "Unless you are URM with a good GPA, or you have some amazing softs (ie. Nobel Laureate, Medal of Honor, Olympic Athlete, Founded and ran Doctors Without Borders, Etc.) you are very likely to be rejected. It is your money, however, and weird things sometimes happen, especially at Yale."

Also, clean the sand out... you come off as a douche.

lol well maybe you wouldn't but that vast majority of people on this forum would, which is the point I was trying to make, in a douchebag manner (intentionally), mainly because this is very little optimistic encouraging advice compared to the condescending negativity

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:46 pm

rglifberg wrote:lol well maybe you wouldn't but that vast majority of people on this forum would, which is the point I was trying to make, in a douchebag manner (intentionally), mainly because this is very little optimistic encouraging advice compared to the condescending negativity

Have you seen the legal market? There's nothing optimistic about it.

Return to “What are my chances?”