Chances for 3.7/174

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
HopelessRomantic
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:37 am

Chances for 3.7/174

Postby HopelessRomantic » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:16 pm

Hiya everyone!

Pleaseee tell me what my chances are based on the following info. Thank you in advance!

Base Stats: 3.7/174
My dream schools are Columbia or NYC though Georgetown is my 3rd choice.


Undergrad is one of the best Public Schools in the nation (Top 25 Overall)
Single Major, with a minor
Know two other languages besides English

1 Pass in a four unit class, 1 Withdraw in another class. NEITHER is from my major.
UPWARD Grade Trend, NO Cs but several Bs freshman year (including two B-)

Softs: Research, Thesis completed Junior year, Held a job all four years, officer position in clubs,
summer internship, author of a published book, blogger

Awards: 1 scholarship, 1 grant for $1000 for research, Dean's list 1 semester (possibly 2)

NOT a URM. Female. US Citizen. Parents both hold bachelor's (so doesn't count as "disadvantaged")
WILL apply Columbia ED.

Possible things holding me back: Academic Record (GPA, withdraw in 1 class, etc.)

I LOVE COLUMBIA THOUGH!!!!! If I could cut off my pinky to ensure I could get in, I totally would.
JK, JK

<3 <3 <3 Please let me know my chances! Help a girl out <3 <3 <3

I have stalked LSN, TLS stats, the Columbia thread, etc but I just wanted real people's opinions.

<3,
Hopeless Romantic

dixon02
Posts: 374
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:27 am

Re: Chances for 3.7/174

Postby dixon02 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:23 pm

HopelessRomantic wrote:Hiya everyone!

Pleaseee tell me what my chances are based on the following info. Thank you in advance!

Base Stats: 3.7/174
My dream schools are Columbia or NYC though Georgetown is my 3rd choice.


Undergrad is one of the best Public Schools in the nation (Top 25 Overall)
Single Major, with a minor
Know two other languages besides English1 Pass in a four unit class, 1 Withdraw in another class. NEITHER is from my major.
UPWARD Grade Trend, NO Cs but several Bs freshman year (including two B-)


Softs: Research, Thesis completed Junior year, Held a job all four years, officer position in clubs,
summer internship, author of a published book, blogger

Awards: 1 scholarship, 1 grant for $1000 for research, Dean's list 1 semester (possibly 2)


NOT a URM. Female. US Citizen. Parents both hold bachelor's (so doesn't count as "disadvantaged")
WILL apply Columbia ED.

Possible things holding me back: Academic Record (GPA, withdraw in 1 class, etc.)

I LOVE COLUMBIA THOUGH!!!!! If I could cut off my pinky to ensure I could get in, I totally would.
JK, JK

<3 <3 <3 Please let me know my chances! Help a girl out <3 <3 <3

I have stalked LSN, TLS stats, the Columbia thread, etc but I just wanted real people's opinions.

<3,
Hopeless Romantic


Not a whole lot we're going to tell you on here. With an ED to Columbia, you are definitely in play. You should get into NYU. Don't go to Georgetown. Spend some time on your apps, make sure they're tight and good to go, and you should have a successful cycle. Good luck.

User avatar
Tadatsune
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:17 pm

Re: Chances for 3.7/174

Postby Tadatsune » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:33 pm

If the withdrawal is not considered "punitive" then it won't hurt your GPA.

Numbers give you a very good shot at CCN.

rcthebigred1
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:19 am

Re: Chances for 3.7/174

Postby rcthebigred1 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:34 pm

How were you only on the Dean's list 1 semester with a 3.7 overall but multiple B minuses your freshman year?

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Chances for 3.7/174

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:06 am

You have a very strong shot of being admitted to NYU and/or Columbia. If you really want Columbia, ED there.

User avatar
puppylaw
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:53 pm

Re: Chances for 3.7/174

Postby puppylaw » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:13 am

Your numbers are pretty similar to mine. I think you're almost a lock at Georgetown and have a really great shot at Columbia and NYU. Definitely apply early decision if you're willing to pay full price.

User avatar
Perdevise
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:45 pm

Re: Chances for 3.7/174

Postby Perdevise » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:18 am

Not speaking from experience, but I've read that ED'ing to Columbia doesn't provide a boost, and instead makes them look at your application with extra scrutiny/higher standards. Hopefully an expert can confirm/deny. Also, what if you slip into HYS?

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Chances for 3.7/174

Postby 20130312 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:35 am

HopelessRomantic wrote:My dream schools are Columbia or NYC


NYC is a very respectable school.

ahnhub
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:14 pm

Re: Chances for 3.7/174

Postby ahnhub » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:45 am

Columbia is less predictable than NYU or Georgetown (both of which you should get into). But you have a very high LSAT and a decent GPA, and that seems to generally be a winning formula at Columbia. This is just a hunch, but I think they give your PS more weight than Chicago or NYU. I've seen a couple of people with very mediocre numbers who think it was their PS which got them in. I got in with a 170 LSAT, and I'm guessing my PS helped.

User avatar
lovejopd
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:00 pm

Re: Chances for 3.7/174

Postby lovejopd » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:56 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
HopelessRomantic wrote:My dream schools are Columbia or NYC


NYC is a very respectable school.


You always love to pick on TLSers <3 :mrgreen:

User avatar
moonman157
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: Chances for 3.7/174

Postby moonman157 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:00 pm

Perdevise wrote:Not speaking from experience, but I've read that ED'ing to Columbia doesn't provide a boost, and instead makes them look at your application with extra scrutiny/higher standards. Hopefully an expert can confirm/deny. Also, what if you slip into HYS?


I'm hoping this isn't true...I have similar numbers to the OP (3.65 instead of a 3.7) and was hoping that EDing to Columbia would give me the boost I needed to feel more comfortable about my chances. Perhaps an ED at Chicago instead (my other top choice)?

justicefishy
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Chances for 3.7/174

Postby justicefishy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:07 pm

moonman157 wrote:
Perdevise wrote:Not speaking from experience, but I've read that ED'ing to Columbia doesn't provide a boost, and instead makes them look at your application with extra scrutiny/higher standards. Hopefully an expert can confirm/deny. Also, what if you slip into HYS?


I'm hoping this isn't true...I have similar numbers to the OP (3.65 instead of a 3.7) and was hoping that EDing to Columbia would give me the boost I needed to feel more comfortable about my chances. Perhaps an ED at Chicago instead (my other top choice)?


I think Chicago ED provides a boost, though don't quote me.

TheRedMamba
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:33 pm

Re: Chances for 3.7/174

Postby TheRedMamba » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:40 pm

I ED'd to CLS with 3.71/175 and got in FWIW

ahnhub
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:14 pm

Re: Chances for 3.7/174

Postby ahnhub » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:45 am

From following Chicago and Columbia's acceptance pattern this year, it seemed like Chicago ED'ers got a bigger boost.

User avatar
padawanphil
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Chances for 3.7/174

Postby padawanphil » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:53 am

Lawschoolnumbers.com

User avatar
HopelessRomantic
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:37 am

Re: Chances for 3.7/174

Postby HopelessRomantic » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:03 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
HopelessRomantic wrote:My dream schools are Columbia or NYC


NYC is a very respectable school.


Damn, I meant NYU. I was on a bit of a caffeine bender that day.
Oh and I really love your profile picture.

User avatar
HopelessRomantic
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:37 am

Re: Chances for 3.7/174

Postby HopelessRomantic » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:08 pm

moonman157 wrote:
Perdevise wrote:Not speaking from experience, but I've read that ED'ing to Columbia doesn't provide a boost, and instead makes them look at your application with extra scrutiny/higher standards. Hopefully an expert can confirm/deny. Also, what if you slip into HYS?


I'm hoping this isn't true...I have similar numbers to the OP (3.65 instead of a 3.7) and was hoping that EDing to Columbia would give me the boost I needed to feel more comfortable about my chances. Perhaps an ED at Chicago instead (my other top choice)?


I heard about this too. Columbia's ED can be a bit tricky. For Undergrad, I had a 3.9 unweighted GPA with a 2300 SAT (35 ACT), with solid extra-curriculars and was still deferred from ED.

The thing is I really like New York City and the East Coast in general. That's why I don't want to apply ED to Chicago. I like the atmosphere and location of Harvard, Columbia, and NYU. I also like the location of Georgetown (I know, I know its ranked 13).

I LOVE Columbia but I was thinking whether it would be smarter to hedge my bets and just apply to NYU ED.

User avatar
moonman157
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: Chances for 3.7/174

Postby moonman157 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:12 pm

I wouldn't apply ed to nyu because I think you can get in without it. Don't quote me on that though, I just have almost identical numbers and a very similar interest in nyc, and I was going to apply ed to columbia ibstead of nyu.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Chances for 3.7/174

Postby bdubs » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:12 pm

EDing to Columbia is not a smart move, the vast, vast majority of people are accepted with your stats. You will get money at NYU and can negotiate with Columbia using it. EDing to NYU is just dumb, not a single person with your numbers was rejected or waitlisted RD on LSN.

User avatar
moonman157
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: Chances for 3.7/174

Postby moonman157 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:23 pm

bdubs wrote:EDing to Columbia is not a smart move, the vast, vast majority of people are accepted with your stats. You will get money at NYU and can negotiate with Columbia using it. EDing to NYU is just dumb, not a single person with your numbers was rejected or waitlisted RD on LSN.


I'm actually slightly worried about my chances at columbia. I won't be applying to ysh because of the low gpa, and columbia is far and away my top choice. Is it really that bad of a decision to ed to columbia?

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Chances for 3.7/174

Postby bdubs » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:23 pm

moonman157 wrote:
bdubs wrote:EDing to Columbia is not a smart move, the vast, vast majority of people are accepted with your stats. You will get money at NYU and can negotiate with Columbia using it. EDing to NYU is just dumb, not a single person with your numbers was rejected or waitlisted RD on LSN.


I'm actually slightly worried about my chances at columbia. I won't be applying to ysh because of the low gpa, and columbia is far and away my top choice. Is it really that bad of a decision to ed to columbia?


Do you have rich parents who will pay your way through school? Do you really hate NYU? The chances of waitlist are pretty small at 174+/3.7+. Afterall, 3.72 is median and 174 is 2 points above median at Columbia.

http://columbia.lawschoolnumbers.com/ap ... ,8&type=jd

User avatar
moonman157
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: Chances for 3.7/174

Postby moonman157 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:52 am

bdubs wrote:
moonman157 wrote:
bdubs wrote:EDing to Columbia is not a smart move, the vast, vast majority of people are accepted with your stats. You will get money at NYU and can negotiate with Columbia using it. EDing to NYU is just dumb, not a single person with your numbers was rejected or waitlisted RD on LSN.


I'm actually slightly worried about my chances at columbia. I won't be applying to ysh because of the low gpa, and columbia is far and away my top choice. Is it really that bad of a decision to ed to columbia?


Do you have rich parents who will pay your way through school? Do you really hate NYU? The chances of waitlist are pretty small at 174+/3.7+. Afterall, 3.72 is median and 174 is 2 points above median at Columbia.

http://columbia.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/1011/?

Yes my parents will be paying. I don't hate nyu, but I greatly prefer columbia and hope to do everything I can to maximize my chances of acceptance.


lsat2=180&lsatR=true&lsat1=174&lgpa1=3.70&lgpa2=4.33&status=3,4,5,6,7,8&type=jd

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Chances for 3.7/174

Postby bdubs » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:04 am

moonman157 wrote:Yes my parents will be paying. I don't hate nyu, but I greatly prefer columbia and hope to do everything I can to maximize my chances of acceptance.


If merit scholarships aren't really relevant, than EDing to Columbia makes sense. Only if you think you have the kind of background/softs for Harvard would I say you shouldn't.

Most people aren't in your situation though, so giving up guaranteed $$ at NYU doesn't make much sense.

chasgoose
Posts: 715
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Chances for 3.7/174

Postby chasgoose » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:03 pm

bdubs wrote:
moonman157 wrote:Yes my parents will be paying. I don't hate nyu, but I greatly prefer columbia and hope to do everything I can to maximize my chances of acceptance.


If merit scholarships aren't really relevant, than EDing to Columbia makes sense. Only if you think you have the kind of background/softs for Harvard would I say you shouldn't.

Most people aren't in your situation though, so giving up guaranteed $$ at NYU doesn't make much sense.


There is absolutely no justified reason to "greatly prefer" CLS over NYU. A slight preference one way or the other, sure, but they are too similar for anyone to rationally have a strong preference for one over the other. Just because your parents are paying doesn't mean you should be wasteful with their money...

TheRedMamba
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:33 pm

Re: Chances for 3.7/174

Postby TheRedMamba » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:53 pm

chasgoose wrote:
bdubs wrote:
moonman157 wrote:Yes my parents will be paying. I don't hate nyu, but I greatly prefer columbia and hope to do everything I can to maximize my chances of acceptance.


If merit scholarships aren't really relevant, than EDing to Columbia makes sense. Only if you think you have the kind of background/softs for Harvard would I say you shouldn't.

Most people aren't in your situation though, so giving up guaranteed $$ at NYU doesn't make much sense.


There is absolutely no justified reason to "greatly prefer" CLS over NYU. A slight preference one way or the other, sure, but they are too similar for anyone to rationally have a strong preference for one over the other. Just because your parents are paying doesn't mean you should be wasteful with their money...


I greatly prefer CLS to NYU, just because you say I, or OP, shouldn't doesn't mean the preference doesn't exist.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests