Acceptances pre-retake and Acceptances post-retake

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
toretakeornot

Acceptances pre-retake and Acceptances post-retake

Postby toretakeornot » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:26 pm

Looking for advice here from people who have score well (high 160's), applied and had a decent cycle, then retaken the test and scored better (170+) and re-applied. Did any of the T14 schools you were admitted to the first time turn you down the second time? Did your scholarships change significantly? If so, where?

I have gained admittance to a T10 school (with my first score) I would very much like to attend. However, I am considering re-taking the test and re-applying for the sole purpose of bowling for more scholarships. I am already in debt, taking on another six figures terrifies me, and I do not think I am willing to essentially gamble $200Kish and hope everything shakes out well.

The school I have already gained admittance to is really my #1 choice outside of HYS (which I do not think I have a great shot at even with a stellar LSAT score the second time around). Turning down an offer to retake (even if for financial reasons) smacks of the fact that the first school was not somewhere you wanted to go, and I would think the adcomm has good reason to not waste a spot on you the second time in such a case. I really think my admittance this cycle was because the school was a great fit for me and my softs, so I am worried turning them down will send a message which is detrimental to the factors which got me in in the first place. I've got plenty of speculation from peers-- Thoughts from those with experience doing this would be greatly appreciated.

ph14

Re: Acceptances pre-retake and Acceptances post-retake

Postby ph14 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:26 pm

toretakeornot wrote:Looking for advice here from people who have score well (high 160's), applied and had a decent cycle, then retaken the test and scored better (170+) and re-applied. Did any of the T14 schools you were admitted to the first time turn you down the second time? Did your scholarships change significantly? If so, where?

I have gained admittance to a T10 school (with my first score) I would very much like to attend. However, I am considering re-taking the test and re-applying for the sole purpose of bowling for more scholarships. I am already in debt, taking on another six figures terrifies me, and I do not think I am willing to essentially gamble $200Kish and hope everything shakes out well.

The school I have already gained admittance to is really my #1 choice outside of HYS (which I do not think I have a great shot at even with a stellar LSAT score the second time around). Turning down an offer to retake (even if for financial reasons) smacks of the fact that the first school was not somewhere you wanted to go, and I would think the adcomm has good reason to not waste a spot on you the second time in such a case. I really think my admittance this cycle was because the school was a great fit for me and my softs, so I am worried turning them down will send a message which is detrimental to the factors which got me in in the first place. I've got plenty of speculation from peers-- Thoughts from those with experience doing this would be greatly appreciated.

I think this decision should turn on your confidence in improving your score. If the high 160 score was at the top of your range,you studied a lot and are just hoping to hit 170+, I'd be hesitant to turn down an offer from your top choice outside of HYS. If you didn't study very much and/or have been consistently scoring in the 170s i'd wait another cycle and retake. I don't think a school would really hold it against you, especially if you improve your score.

t14fanboy

Re: Acceptances pre-retake and Acceptances post-retake

Postby t14fanboy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:41 am

Depends on your LSDAS GPA.

Return to “What are my chances?”