Any Advice? Help! Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
yeslaws

New

Any Advice? Help!

Post by yeslaws » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:55 am

School: Top 40 Liberal Arts College
Major: Political Science and Biology
current GPA: 3.53 (top 20% in class)
GPA including Summer school in a public university: 3.57
LSAT: going to take in June

My GPA is kinda low because my Biology major. I got both B-s in Orgo and Physiology.
Does my double major (Political Science and Biology) help me stand out among the other similar-GPA applicants? And, is Biology Major a good excuse to explain to Admissions that I have such a not-decent GPA?

Since there are not many science majors and even no "science and non-science" double majors,
In my situation, what range LSAT I need to be safe in Top 30? Thank you!

justicefishy

Bronze

Re: Any Advice? Help!

Post by justicefishy » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:32 am

For safe LSAT scores, 160ish should make you T-30 acceptable, for the T-14...you'd need at least a 169. That said, your double major doesn't mean anything though your class ranking might.

RoboLaw13

New

Post by RoboLaw13 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:43 am

@yeslaws, I am in the same boat.

Top 40 Liberal Arts College
Major/GPA: Politics (3.9) Economics (3.4)= Cumulative (3.6ish) top 20% in class also
LSAT in June as well.

I think although everyone on this forum and others says that it doesn't make a difference, adcomms will see the class types and the respective grades, which leads me to believe that it does help. If your gpa falls a little that is understandable given the double major which shows determination, hardwork, and that you are actually interested in more than just getting a good grade. Your class rank will help highlight your success in relation to the rest of the college, and many of those above you probably are not double majors. You most certainly will stand out among similar gpa applicants, even though the biology major itself does not excuse poor grades. You always have the option of a gpa addendum if you feel it is undermining the rest of your application.

I would say that the LSAT scores you need are approximately the same as what justicefishy said, unless you are a urm, which means you could get like a 165 and be a candidate for T14 schools.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:38 am

How schools view a science GPA will vary depending on the school. Some take it into consideration, but some don't. Your best bet is to do really well on your LSAT and blanket the T14. A 3.53 GPA is definitely enough to get into a T14 school if you can pull a 170 on the LSAT.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:42 am

Mid-160s.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:45 am

You don't want to go to a T30 school unless it is nearly all covered by a scholarship or you'll receive resident tuition from a public school.

yeslaws

New

Post by yeslaws » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:09 am

Thanks guys!Any more constructive advice?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”