MA female 3.7/171

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
beebela

MA female 3.7/171

Postby beebela » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:56 pm

I'm going to be applying for the next cycle straight out of undergrad. I'm a URM (Mexican American), DI athlete (I don't know if that has any significant soft value but I thought I'd put it out there), and I will be interning at a law firm this summer. I got a 168 in October and the 171 in February and I want to know where I stand as it is. I'm looking at the T14 and then USC/UCLA/BU/BC.

I know URM cycles can be pretty unpredictable, but any feedback on my chances at admission/$$$ is appreciated!

justicefishy

Re: MA female 3.7/171

Postby justicefishy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:00 pm

beebela wrote:I'm going to be applying for the next cycle straight out of undergrad. I'm a URM (Mexican American), DI athlete (I don't know if that has any significant soft value but I thought I'd put it out there), and I will be interning at a law firm this summer. I got a 168 in October and the 171 in February and I want to know where I stand as it is. I'm looking at the T14 and then USC/UCLA/BU/BC.

I know URM cycles can be pretty unpredictable, but any feedback on my chances at admission/$$$ is appreciated!

You're a URM with T6 numbers, so you're in amazing shape to put it mildly. I'd say $$-$$$$ at everywhere but HYS which you'll probably get into as well.

Alexp1206

Postby Alexp1206 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:04 pm

You'll most likely get in everywhere except maybe Yale and/or Stanford. Go to the best school you get into with a full scholarship. DO NOT go to USC with those numbers, you'd be doing yourself a disservice. You are nearly guaranteed $$$$ at T6.

beebela

Postby beebela » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:56 pm

Thanks for the input, guys! I've done all the online calculators/LSN searches and stuff but I couldn't really find a good sample of people with my stats and I didn't want to get my hopes up. I'm definitely going to have to do some more research into the scholarship stuff, I wasn't even thinking I'd be considered for any big scholarships in the T14. :oops:

That said, I know some T14 schools (Duke, UVA, Mich) are known for being a little more lenient with their $, does anyone know if the same generally goes for URMs? Are there some schools that are particularly URM-happy?

twenty

Postby twenty » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:53 am

Berkeley says they do not factor race at all in admissions, but this may, in fact, be rubbish.

EDIT> It seems like on What are my chances threads, everything always comes down to HOMFG RETAKE, but have you considered retaking in June for a 175+? I dunno, I can see you auto-admit everywhere minus Yale with a slight bump. On the other hand, if you're sick of the LSAT, a 171 isn't exactly going to hold you back. :p

beebela

Postby beebela » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:09 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:Berkeley says they do not factor race at all in admissions, but this may, in fact, be rubbish.

EDIT> It seems like on What are my chances threads, everything always comes down to HOMFG RETAKE, but have you considered retaking in June for a 175+? I dunno, I can see you auto-admit everywhere minus Yale with a slight bump. On the other hand, if you're sick of the LSAT, a 171 isn't exactly going to hold you back. :p

It's not that I'm sick of the LSAT, but I'm not really considering a retake. The reason I did Oct/Feb was to get it out of the way so I can focus on GPA/athletics/getting good LORs in the spring and then work over the summer and polish my PS so I can apply ASAP in the fall.

One question for anyone reading - should I blanket the T14 to see what scholarship offers I get and use those offers from schools I might not want to attend just for leverage with other schools? Or just apply to the ones I'd consider attending?

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:23 pm

Think you will get 1 or 2 of CCN and then lower T14 with half-schollies. MA does not get as big of a bump as AA so I do not think your chances at HYS are as good as others have said before me. I would still apply though because you never know. Your D1 athlete soft could put you over the top. Good luck!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:42 pm

beebela wrote:One question for anyone reading - should I blanket the T14 to see what scholarship offers I get and use those offers from schools I might not want to attend just for leverage with other schools? Or just apply to the ones I'd consider attending?

Blanket and leverage.

Return to “What are my chances?”