3.46/171 (second time)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jslb007

3.46/171 (second time)

Postby jslb007 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:41 pm

Econ/Poli double major, Phil minor. Prestigious public university. First lsat = 161. Retake or apply this fall? And if apply, think i can swing any schools like UC-Berkeley, UofM, U Penn, etc.?

kennethellenparcell

Re: 3.46/171 (second time)

Postby kennethellenparcell » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:03 pm

jslb007 wrote:Econ/Poli double major, Phil minor. Prestigious public university. First lsat = 161. Retake or apply this fall? And if apply, think i can swing any schools like UC-Berkeley, UofM, U Penn, etc.?

Hey OP. Posting here because being a splitter is not fun. The fact that it's a retake won't matter to schools because of your huge jump.

First question - are you a URM? This will significantly impact your chances of admission into the listed schools.

Second question - do you have work experience? This also impacts chances of admission.

Based on your info listed - Berk is going to be tough. They don't usually like splitters unless you have a hard sciences background. At least all the splitters I know of who got in have had an engineering background - the school is big on IP so it makes sense. I got a WL after being sent to faculty review but I count myself as very very lucky. Course, URM status will have a big impact on your chances.

Penn/Michigan are maybes in my opinion. For some reason, Penn doesn't seem to like splitters with high LSATs who don't ED unless they have a hard sciences background. I know a guy who had your numbers and a similar academic background who got into Penn, not URM. I'm not sure if he did ED though. Penn rejected me even though I maxed out on supplemental essays. Also, APPLY EARLY.

A higher LSAT (175+) will give you a better chance at Columbia and NYU. Depends on whether that's worth it to you to go through it a third time.

Also check out Samara's awesome post on splitters. That'll give you a better idea too. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=162680

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:04 pm

your GPA is a little low for boalt.

if you really want a shot at MVPD, then you should probably retake. 3.5x and 171 are random chances at those schools, and so a GPA that's <3.5 is going to prove troublesome. unless you have a killer 174+ LSAT. then, who knows?

splitters are hard to predict.

Smumps

Postby Smumps » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:42 pm

Above responses are right on, hard to predict. Although it seems like this year has been fairly stable. I have numbers almost identical to yours, LSN in profile. Best advice: apply early.

sanetruth

Postby sanetruth » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:47 pm

Got into Mich with $ with a 171 and 3.24. I think you should be in good shape as long as you apply early. There are only two yellow dots for 171's on the michigan lsn graph.

I would say with early apps, you'll definitely get at least one of MVP. Boalt is unlikely.

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:57 pm

Smumps wrote:Above responses are right on, hard to predict. Although it seems like this year has been fairly stable. I have numbers almost identical to yours, LSN in profile. Best advice: apply early.

Dammit Smumps, hand over those Penn and Mich acceptances! :D

jslb007

Postby jslb007 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:24 pm

i really appreciate the feedback guys. as much as i realize a 175+ retake would help a lot with the schools i ride the fence with, i just can't imagine putting myself through that again. especially since going into the february test my average was around 168-169. early applications it is!

although quick question (which may sound stupid but i'll ask it anyway), if my father went to architecture school at Michigan would that affect my chances of getting into law school there?

thanks again

Edit: Sorry, I also forgot answer the earlier questions. No i'm not a URM (unless being a half korean half white male counts). and work experience is underway currently, i.e. i'm actively job hunting

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:50 am

jslb007 wrote:although quick question (which may sound stupid but i'll ask it anyway), if my father went to architecture school at Michigan would that affect my chances of getting into law school there?

thanks again

Edit: Sorry, I also forgot answer the earlier questions. No i'm not a URM (unless being a half korean half white male counts). and work experience is underway currently, i.e. i'm actively job hunting

I wouldn't think your father's connection would affect your chances very much if at all. Of course I also don't know very much about all the legacy stuff. Although may be a good thing to mention in a Why X essay if you can tie it convincingly to why you want to go to Michigan.

Don't fess up to the asian side of yourself on apps! Sometimes I think it hurt me but in reality, it probably didn't hurt or help.

Best of luck next cycle!!

Return to “What are my chances?”