Need help, pls dont laugh at me

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
xinglei

Need help, pls dont laugh at me

Postby xinglei » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:44 pm

3.1/147

I know I suck, I took the LSAT without any preparations.

What are my options here? I absolutely cannot wait for another year. Will retaking the June LSAT be helpful to me for this year's application? Do I have any chances to get into A law school with these numbers?

Here's more info about me:
Chinese Canadian, age 27, male, 4 year work experience at Best Buy (including 2 years in a managerial position), some volunteering experience in the freshmen year

Thanks guys

TMC116

Re: Need help, pls dont laugh at me

Postby TMC116 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:49 pm

Assuming this isn't a flame...

Wait a year (and retake) or don't go. Seriously.

Study your ass off and score in the high 160s or low 170s. Then go the WUSTL or NU. Otherwise, you'll pay 150k+ to go to the worst schools in the country.

specialsnowflake

Postby specialsnowflake » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:52 pm

Youre not getting into anywhere. Barely any TTTT's would accept you with your numbers. Retake. You said you never even prepared for the LSAT. Sorry but youre only option is retaking unless you dont want to be a lawyer

Ronburgandy2468

Postby Ronburgandy2468 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:54 pm

TMC116 wrote:Assuming this isn't a flame...

Study your ass off and score in the high 160s or low 170s. Then go the WUSTL or NU. Otherwise, you'll pay 150k+ to go to the worst schools in the country.

Above poster speaks the truth. It's honestly not worth paying sticker for a school you'll get in which those numbers.
I try not to advise others to retake because frankly, most of them really do not want to.
However, in your case, retaking would be the best option by a large margin. So, study hard!

xinglei

Postby xinglei » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:56 pm

TMC116 wrote:Assuming this isn't a flame...

I saw some schools have an application deadline in August, will they accept the June LSAT?

JustE

Postby JustE » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:58 pm

We're wildly different candidates in many ways... but it's obvious you should not go... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=153486

Take the LSAT again... if you don't do well, take it a third time... I originally PT'd in the 140s... The week of my last test I was in the low 170s... Wait until Oct if you must, but put in the time to learn the test. If you don't improve your LSAT, you should not go...

Hope it helps... Good luck...
Last edited by JustE on Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DCDuck

Postby DCDuck » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:00 pm

Do not go to a law school with an application deadline in August! And I never do this, but seriously, retake or don't go. Law school isn't going anywhere, I haven't yet heard a compelling reason for "absolutely needing to go to law school next year."

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:08 pm

This gotta be flame. If not, retake.

xinglei

Postby xinglei » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:09 pm

DCDuck wrote:Do not go to a law school with an application deadline in August! And I never do this, but seriously, retake or don't go. Law school isn't going anywhere, I haven't yet heard a compelling reason for "absolutely needing to go to law school next year."

but will I get a chance if I retake in June? say at Brooklyn law school.

xinglei

Postby xinglei » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:10 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:This gotta be flame. If not, retake.

which part of this post looks flame to you?

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:14 pm

xinglei wrote:
dissonance1848 wrote:This gotta be flame. If not, retake.

which part of this post looks flame to you?

The fact that you cannot comprehend the necessity to take a year off. You really do need to improve your RC skills my friend...

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:22 pm

You absolutely can wait another year. I know Best Buy sucks but if you go to any law school with those numbers you'd be lucky to be able to get your job at Best Buy back after graduation.

JustE

Postby JustE » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:24 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:You absolutely can wait another year. I know Best Buy sucks but if you go to any law school with those numbers you'd be lucky to be able to get your job at Best Buy back after graduation.

#realtalk

xinglei

Postby xinglei » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:44 pm

Thanks for all the replies so far guys.

Aside from people suggesting me to not go, which I agree in normal circumstances, I must go to A law school this year due to family reasons. (for god sake let's not discuses Chinese culture)

Still, one of my questions remain unanswered: Will take the June LSAT help?

JustE

Postby JustE » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:47 pm

xinglei wrote:Thanks for all the replies so far guys.

Aside from people suggesting me to not go, which I agree in normal circumstances, I must go to A law school this year due to family reasons. (for god sake let's not discuses Chinese culture)

NO. DO NOT GO.

Any school worth going to will DENY you flat out. June would only help if you were on the waitlist somewhere and pulled a 170 out of your ass. Look, trust me, I completely understand where you are coming from. I've been there. You do not want to go now. Plleeeaaaasseeee retake.

Good luck.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:48 pm

Taking the June LSAT this year will help you get into law school in the fall of 2013. You are not going to be able to use a June LSAT score to get into any law school this year that's worth going to.

Also - unless your family is paying for your JD and will be supporting you if you graduate without a job, then they really shouldn't have any say in whether or when you go to law school.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:59 pm

Enjoy soul crushing debt and unemployment.

Or stay at Best Buy and endure the wrath of mommy.

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:00 pm

Going to law school because your family said so might actually be one of the worst ideas on earth.

tmack002

Postby tmack002 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:00 pm

With those numbers and this late in the cycle, you will most likely only be able to get into 4th tier schools at sticker or at best with a small scholarship. I am not usually one of the people that jump to suggest a retake, but in your case it is your best option. If your family has issues with it use the law school predictor, and show them the employment data for the schools it says you would be admitted to. That should give them, and you, a better perspective of why waiting a year would be worth it.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:00 pm

1. If your parents are paying your for law school and wouldn't pay if you didn't go now, then sacrifice it. It isn't even worth going for free to any school that would accept you with your numbers.

2. If you parents are looming over "forcing" you to go this year just because then sack up and piss them off. I'm sure they'll be even more upset with you 3 years from now if you go this fall and end up going back to BBY because you can't get a job as a lawyer (assuming BBY would even take you back).

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:07 pm

I'm from a similar culture and had the same issue with my parents, albeit I had a 162 the first time I took it. I was adamant that I didn't want to settle because I knew I could do better, so I took a year off and greatly improved my prospects.

If your parents want to see you go to a crappy school, spent hundreds of thousands of dollars just to find out that you can't even find ANY job as a lawyer, then they don't give a rat's ass about you. Explain that to them.

And yes, the June LSAT will help - IF you wait until next cycle and score above 165 (really, 170).

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:22 pm

Hey OP... If you really aren't a flame and need help with this send me a private message.

Return to “What are my chances?”