3.89 GPA and 169 LSAT

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
CourtneyJoann
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:19 pm

3.89 GPA and 169 LSAT

Postby CourtneyJoann » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:17 am

Hey! I'm a political Science and Psychology double major. I hold a leadership position in my service fraternity, and I volunteer for over 200 hours a semester, placing an emphasis on sober driving and aiding victims of domestic/sexual abuse. What do you think my chances are at $ and admissions to a top tier? Should I retake the LSAT and try to score higher? 169 was my score with less than a month to prepare, and I didn't prepare very thoroughly.

Thanks!

lawyerwannabe
Posts: 945
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:39 pm

Re: 3.89 GPA and 169 LSAT

Postby lawyerwannabe » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:22 am

CourtneyJoann wrote:Hey! I'm a political Science and Psychology double major. I hold a leadership position in my service fraternity, and I volunteer for over 200 hours a semester, placing an emphasis on sober driving and aiding victims of domestic/sexual abuse. What do you think my chances are at $ and admissions to a top tier? Should I retake the LSAT and try to score higher? 169 was my score with less than a month to prepare, and I didn't prepare very thoroughly.

Thanks!


Why not retake?

You are probably looking at a lower T14 acceptance with little to no money as you currently stand. If you could get a 173+, then you could be looking at a HYS acceptance and some money from CCN and some big money from the rest of T14. HTH.

KingsBench
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:21 am

Re: 3.89 GPA and 169 LSAT

Postby KingsBench » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:29 am

You're facing the 169-170 barrier for most top schools, and given that you didn't really put in the effort you could have, retake is TCR. Don't waste that GPA on that LSAT!

slsplease
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: 3.89 GPA and 169 LSAT

Postby slsplease » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:38 am

If you look at Law School Numbers for schools like NYU, Michigan, etc. there seems to be more acceptances than waitlists and almost no rejections at the 3.9+, 169 data point. Maybe 3.89 is just below that cusp but doesn't the data seem to suggest that if OP were to blanked the T14 he'd get acceptances from at least a handful?

Interested b/c my numbers are 3.92 and wouldn't be surprised if my LSAT is a 169.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: 3.89 GPA and 169 LSAT

Postby Samara » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:42 am

slsplease wrote:If you look at Law School Numbers for schools like NYU, Michigan, etc. there seems to be more acceptances than waitlists and almost no rejections at the 3.9+, 169 data point. Maybe 3.89 is just below that cusp but doesn't the data seem to suggest that if OP were to blanked the T14 he'd get acceptances from at least a handful?

Interested b/c my numbers are 3.92 and wouldn't be surprised if my LSAT is a 169.

That may be, but OP admitted to not preparing well for the LSAT. If OP retakes and score just a few points higher, you're looking at YSH or T6 with big money, possibly even a full ride. Why would you settle for T14 at sticker?

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: 3.89 GPA and 169 LSAT

Postby Br3v » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:06 am

FOr sure, RETAKE.

You can still get into a great t14 school, but raising your LSAT could mean Harvard/Yale/Stanford.

And the frat this is pretty irrelevant, only thing besides LSAT and gpa that may noticeably help is work experience. Though I applaud what you are aiming to accomplish through the programs.

User avatar
bigeast03
Posts: 363
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:21 pm

Re: 3.89 GPA and 169 LSAT

Postby bigeast03 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:44 am

3.95/169 here. You can see how my cycle played out: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/MockTurtle

I ended up getting good sized scholarships at Cornell and Vanderbilt, but getting waitlisted almost everywhere else. If you have the option of re-taking, I would definitely capitalize on that (depending on your goals).

woeisme
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: 3.89 GPA and 169 LSAT

Postby woeisme » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:49 am

bigeast03 wrote:3.95/169 here. You can see how my cycle played out: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/MockTurtle

I ended up getting good sized scholarships at Cornell and Vanderbilt, but getting waitlisted almost everywhere else. If you have the option of re-taking, I would definitely capitalize on that (depending on your goals).


Whoa, Vandy over Cornell at same price? And you're from NY?? Really don't like Ithaca, huh? lol.

FloridaCoastalorbust
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: 3.89 GPA and 169 LSAT

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:53 am

Basically numbers twin. I'm different in that I was ED, but everyone within this band did generally the same this year in regards to:

45k Mich
60k UVA
WL Penn
WL NYU
WL UChi
??? Stanford

You should definitely retake. It appears that those with 170s rather than 169s (within this band of GPA) received 105k rather than 60k at UVA. One more question right could mean 45k. Two more questions and you'd be 50/50for H (for this cycle, and assuming next cycle is just as lax or more lax). Considering schools won't care if you score lower, you'd be absolutely insane not to retake. Best of luck.

User avatar
bigeast03
Posts: 363
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:21 pm

Re: 3.89 GPA and 169 LSAT

Postby bigeast03 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:05 pm

woeisme wrote:
bigeast03 wrote:3.95/169 here. You can see how my cycle played out: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/MockTurtle

I ended up getting good sized scholarships at Cornell and Vanderbilt, but getting waitlisted almost everywhere else. If you have the option of re-taking, I would definitely capitalize on that (depending on your goals).


Whoa, Vandy over Cornell at same price? And you're from NY?? Really don't like Ithaca, huh? lol.


Yeah, it was definitely a tough choice. It was probably not advisable, but there were other circumstances that played into it. I would be willing to PM if anyone cared.

woeisme
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: 3.89 GPA and 169 LSAT

Postby woeisme » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:33 pm

bigeast03 wrote:
Yeah, it was definitely a tough choice. It was probably not advisable, but there were other circumstances that played into it. I would be willing to PM if anyone cared.


I mean, I'm nosy and curious... but it's also none of my business. 8)

slsplease
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: 3.89 GPA and 169 LSAT

Postby slsplease » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:46 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Basically numbers twin. I'm different in that I was ED, but everyone within this band did generally the same this year in regards to:

45k Mich
60k UVA
WL Penn
WL NYU
WL UChi
??? Stanford

You should definitely retake. It appears that those with 170s rather than 169s (within this band of GPA) received 105k rather than 60k at UVA. One more question right could mean 45k. Two more questions and you'd be 50/50for H (for this cycle, and assuming next cycle is just as lax or more lax). Considering schools won't care if you score lower, you'd be absolutely insane not to retake. Best of luck.


I'm surprised you got $$ from UMich whereas bigeast03 didn't even make it in. Good resume/softs? Honestly I'd be so happy with 45k at Michigan.

charliep
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:36 pm

Re: 3.89 GPA and 169 LSAT

Postby charliep » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:50 pm

bigeast03 wrote:3.95/169 here. You can see how my cycle played out: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/MockTurtle

I ended up getting good sized scholarships at Cornell and Vanderbilt, but getting waitlisted almost everywhere else. If you have the option of re-taking, I would definitely capitalize on that (depending on your goals).


same. retake

CourtneyJoann
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:19 pm

Re: 3.89 GPA and 169 LSAT

Postby CourtneyJoann » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:46 pm

Thanks guys! I've decided to definitely retake. I just got a job as a Princeton Review LSAT prep instructor, so I'm hoping my score will increase now that I'll actually be studying more.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: 3.89 GPA and 169 LSAT

Postby Samara » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:55 pm

CourtneyJoann wrote:Thanks guys! I've decided to definitely retake. I just got a job as a Princeton Review LSAT prep instructor, so I'm hoping my score will increase now that I'll actually be studying more.

Another soul saved. Thanks be to Ken.

User avatar
bigeast03
Posts: 363
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:21 pm

Re: 3.89 GPA and 169 LSAT

Postby bigeast03 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:02 pm

Samara wrote:
CourtneyJoann wrote:Thanks guys! I've decided to definitely retake. I just got a job as a Princeton Review LSAT prep instructor, so I'm hoping my score will increase now that I'll actually be studying more.

Another soul saved. Thanks be to Ken.


This.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll kill the LSAT!

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: 3.89 GPA and 169 LSAT

Postby Dany » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:04 pm

slsplease wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Basically numbers twin. I'm different in that I was ED, but everyone within this band did generally the same this year in regards to:

45k Mich
60k UVA
WL Penn
WL NYU
WL UChi
??? Stanford

You should definitely retake. It appears that those with 170s rather than 169s (within this band of GPA) received 105k rather than 60k at UVA. One more question right could mean 45k. Two more questions and you'd be 50/50for H (for this cycle, and assuming next cycle is just as lax or more lax). Considering schools won't care if you score lower, you'd be absolutely insane not to retake. Best of luck.


I'm surprised you got $$ from UMich whereas bigeast03 didn't even make it in. Good resume/softs? Honestly I'd be so happy with 45k at Michigan.

With a 3.92 you're absolutely crazy to settle for $45k at Michigan.

woeisme
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Re: 3.89 GPA and 169 LSAT

Postby woeisme » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:36 pm

CourtneyJoann wrote:Thanks guys! I've decided to definitely retake. I just got a job as a Princeton Review LSAT prep instructor, so I'm hoping my score will increase now that I'll actually be studying more.


I thought you needed a 170 for TPR? Did they change their policy? That should definitely give you an opportunity to boost your score. What a win-win situation!

CourtneyJoann
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:19 pm

Re: 3.89 GPA and 169 LSAT

Postby CourtneyJoann » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:46 pm

They changed it down to a 165 I believe. I'm super excited!

FloridaCoastalorbust
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: 3.89 GPA and 169 LSAT

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:13 am

CourtneyJoann wrote:Hey! I'm a political Science and Psychology double major. I hold a leadership position in my service fraternity, and I volunteer for over 200 hours a semester, placing an emphasis on sober driving and aiding victims of domestic/sexual abuse. What do you think my chances are at $ and admissions to a top tier? Should I retake the LSAT and try to score higher? 169 was my score with less than a month to prepare, and I didn't prepare very thoroughly.

Thanks!


JW if you retook and if it went well? I commented on this thread and am a numbers twin! Best of luck :D




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests