Help me strategize please? (174, 3.98)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Tiago Splitter

Re: Help me strategize please? (174, 3.98)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:28 pm

I had erasures on both of my tests and they both were scored correctly.

EdgarWinter

Postby EdgarWinter » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:59 pm

Like others said, a retake is risky. You risk a decrease, which I think would take some psychological oomph out of your application. I'm not an adcomm, but if I were to see a 174-->171-->175 journey I'd probably take it as a sign that you might be mega-gunnery and not well-balanced. I retook from a 171 to a 174 but I think that that is a little different situation than what you're in. Also you're already sitting on very good odds at H and a point or two more would only improve your Hamilton odds from poor to iffy.

That said if you are killing practice tests (177+ all the time no sweat) and you are very sure that you'll probably go up then maybe it's worth it. Only you know yourself.

Whatever you do I'd say try to reflect some, write and rewrite your essays, try not to annoy the hell out of your non-law-bound friends (this is hard) and be open to considering whatever sweet options the adcomms throw your way. It is possible that the school at which you might be most happy and that might offer you the most growth won't be Harvard or your "best" option. I have heard that a lot of H people are not happy (maybe this is just non-H people talking though lol). How much of a premium (in prestige or cash) you're willing to pay for quality-of-life/personal advantages is difficult to determine but is something to think about.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Sun May 20, 2012 1:42 pm

Just had my UG send the LSAC my transcript and paid for CAS. How and when will I be able to tell that my GPA has been calculated? I wanted to get it done early just in case there is some issue.

Postby 2014 » Sun May 20, 2012 2:18 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:Just had my UG send the LSAC my transcript and paid for CAS. How and when will I be able to tell that my GPA has been calculated? I wanted to get it done early just in case there is some issue.

Check LSAC in 2-3 weeks and it should say "Transcript(s) received" in green text on the first page you see after logging in.
Click that and on the next page in the same place there will be a light pink box.
In that light pink box there is a link that says "Academic Summary Report" which you can click and it will show you all your stuff.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun May 20, 2012 4:25 pm

OP: The most intriguing aspect of this thread is why you left Cambridge after one semester of a year-long program & why that resulted in a blank semester on your Notre Dame transcript. Seems like this might be more important than an extra LSAT point when your score already exceeds all law schools' median LSAT score.

Your obsession with retaking a LSAT score of 174 & leaving the Cambridge program a semester early may raise maturity concerns. When combined with your unsuccessful interviews for consulting positions at Notre Dame, this suggests that your interviewing skills need work and/or maturity concerns are raised during interviews.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Sun May 20, 2012 4:41 pm

I also don't get why sitting out a year and working seems so unfathomable for OP. While I think it's likely OP will get HLS as is, work experience can only be a plus by boosting OP's softs for admissions and giving him/her additional interview and life experience to help with OCI (which, for some reason, I have a feeling OP might have some trouble with)

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Sun May 20, 2012 5:29 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:OP: The most intriguing aspect of this thread is why you left Cambridge after one semester of a year-long program & why that resulted in a blank semester on your Notre Dame transcript. Seems like this might be more important than an extra LSAT point when your score already exceeds all law schools' median LSAT score.

Your obsession with retaking a LSAT score of 174 & leaving the Cambridge program a semester early may raise maturity concerns. When combined with your unsuccessful interviews for consulting positions at Notre Dame, this suggests that your interviewing skills need work and/or maturity concerns are raised during interviews.

Definitely, the Cambridge thing is my one real concern. I was the first history student that Notre Dame had ever sent to Cambridge, and honestly, I really think that I was thrown to the wolves a bit. I definitely did not have the background I needed to succeed in the program I was enrolled in. Since Notre Dame understood the situation, it was agreed that the withdrawal would be non-punitive. There are no grades assigned because that is how Cambridge works; no grades are assigned until exams are taken during the spring semester. I was definitely bummed about not landing a consulting gig, but really I had only two interviews there (one at a MBB who ended up taking no one). The rest of my interviews were with financial firms who in their job description asked only for finance majors, so I was sort of defying the odds just by landing an interview.

I also don't get why sitting out a year and working seems so unfathomable for OP. While I think it's likely OP will get HLS as is, work experience can only be a plus by boosting OP's softs for admissions and giving him/her additional interview and life experience to help with OCI (which, for some reason, I have a feeling OP might have some trouble with)

I'm not sure where you are getting that from! I'd definitely consider taking a year off if a substantive job were to become available to me. I'll definitely apply for jobs in the fall; from what I hear Arts and Letters majors do significantly better landing full time jobs than the eight week summer internships since they have more time to train you.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun May 20, 2012 7:27 pm

Every Cambridge student is "thrown to the wolves". It's a different system of education. The US system is based on the Scottish system (through Princeton University).

You'll be thrown to the wolves again during your first year of law school.

Your numbers & your kind personality should help with scholarship interviews, in my opinion, but you need to be prepared to take responsibility for the Cambridge fiasco. Don't blame ND & don't blame Cambridge.

Enjoy Harvard or a substantial scholarship to BC.

Return to “What are my chances?”