Help me strategize please? (174, 3.98)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Tom Joad

Re: Help me strategize please? (174, 3.98)

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:26 am

bernaldiaz wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:For Boston big law you should take the debt at H. You'll get H. I agree with others here that full-rides are unpredictable, but you'll at least get big money (over a half scholarship) at a lower t14 school.

How wealthy are your parents? You might qualify for need-based aid. YHS are more generous in that regard than people often think.

Pretty wealthy. I really don't think I'll get anything. With that being said though, I think IF I get Harvard and show them that the reason I'm not getting this need based is because of our financial situation, they might come in and maybe give me 10-15k a year. I also will have about 40 grand savings by the time I graduate undergrad. With all that being taken into account, and maybe a SA position, I think I could get out with 100k or so in debt.

What am I doing wrong that I don't have $40 grand saved up?

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:29 am

Tom Joad wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:For Boston big law you should take the debt at H. You'll get H. I agree with others here that full-rides are unpredictable, but you'll at least get big money (over a half scholarship) at a lower t14 school.

How wealthy are your parents? You might qualify for need-based aid. YHS are more generous in that regard than people often think.

Pretty wealthy. I really don't think I'll get anything. With that being said though, I think IF I get Harvard and show them that the reason I'm not getting this need based is because of our financial situation, they might come in and maybe give me 10-15k a year. I also will have about 40 grand savings by the time I graduate undergrad. With all that being taken into account, and maybe a SA position, I think I could get out with 100k or so in debt.

What am I doing wrong that I don't have $40 grand saved up?

I have $50 grand in a saving account that will be gone in a few years :lol:

soj

Postby soj » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:10 pm

Write good Why Xs to schools outside the T6. This could be the difference between a full scholly invite and a WL. Check out NYU's named scholarships--it's well worth the time to write extra essays if you qualify. Hamiltons tend to have 175+ LSAT scores, but you should be in the running for a Ruby and other T14 scholarships. You'll also have H and maybe YS.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:07 pm

One more question. For this summer, basically I have two options. I can do a political internship at a political organization called No Labels. It seems fine but not great. I'd get a stipend and would break even on the summer. Or I could work at a country club and probably make 5 grand. Is the little bit of work experience worth giving up the money?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:11 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:One more question. For this summer, basically I have two options. I can do a political internship at a political organization called No Labels. It seems fine but not great. I'd get a stipend and would break even on the summer. Or I could work at a country club and probably make 5 grand. Is the little bit of work experience worth giving up the money?

Those are your only two options with a 3.98 from Notre Dame? What is your major?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:12 pm

You're probably competitive for everything except the Hamilton. I wouldn't apply past Cornell

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:13 pm

bdubs wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:One more question. For this summer, basically I have two options. I can do a political internship at a political organization called No Labels. It seems fine but not great. I'd get a stipend and would break even on the summer. Or I could work at a country club and probably make 5 grand. Is the little bit of work experience worth giving up the money?

Those are your only two options with a 3.98 from Notre Dame? What is your major?

Yeah, it's history. I'm pretty bummed. I had a ton of interviews for I-banking and analyst and stuff but didn't come away with anything. The econ and business school kids clean up. I defied the odds getting those interviews but wasn't able to seal the deal on any of them.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:15 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
bdubs wrote:

Yeah, it's history. I'm pretty bummed. I had a ton of interviews for I-banking and analyst and stuff but didn't come away with anything.

Probably doesn't matter much either way. I'd probably take the money if I were you. I think employers place a certain value on "real work" even if it isn't corporate.

caminante

Postby caminante » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:32 pm

Having just learned a lot about HLS financial aid, the one thing that I can contribute to this thread is that with wealthy parents and $40K in savings you will almost certainly not qualify for any aid. Don't get your hopes up on that front. But congrats on your score! As others have said, you have very good chances for $$ and an H acceptance.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:20 pm

soj wrote:Write good Why Xs to schools outside the T6. This could be the difference between a full scholly invite and a WL. Check out NYU's named scholarships--it's well worth the time to write extra essays if you qualify. Hamiltons tend to have 175+ LSAT scores, but you should be in the running for a Ruby and other T14 scholarships. You'll also have H and maybe YS.

Would a retake be worth it? Since I want to get back to Boston, I probably want Harvard above all else, even a named scholarship. Is the 174 going to be hold me back at all? How much of a difference do you think a 176 would make. On probably 6 of my last 10 practice tests I was higher than a 174, with a few 179's. I'd say if I retook there's at least a 2/3 chance of doing better. I'd really only want to put in that effort if it'll be a significant bump to get those extra two points. Am I crazy for considering that? If the 174 should be good enough for Harvard, I'm content.

caminante

Postby caminante » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:15 pm

I'd work on beefing up your resume before I'd retake a 174. Try to get some solid WE between now and Sept. If that's not possible, find something that you're passionate about volunteering for. Just try to find something that will make your resume stand out. From LSN, it looks like the 174/3.95 gives you a very solid chance, but not a total lock. Really try to make the rest of your app pop instead of spending your energy on retaking the LSAT.

6lehderjets

Postby 6lehderjets » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:57 pm

The day after getting a 174, and you are already strategizing when most would be hungover from excessive celebration. Enjoy the Supreme Court in a few decades, you gunner.

soj

Postby soj » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:04 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:Would a retake be worth it? Since I want to get back to Boston, I probably want Harvard above all else, even a named scholarship. Is the 174 going to be hold me back at all? How much of a difference do you think a 176 would make. On probably 6 of my last 10 practice tests I was higher than a 174, with a few 179's. I'd say if I retook there's at least a 2/3 chance of doing better. I'd really only want to put in that effort if it'll be a significant bump to get those extra two points. Am I crazy for considering that? If the 174 should be good enough for Harvard, I'm content.

People with your numbers usually get into H no problem. If you apply in September or October, you'll probably get in before Thanksgiving. In the meantime, get some WE (even part-time or unpaid internships) and focus on securing strong recommendations and writing good essays.

So few people retake a 174 that I have no idea if retaking will help.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:15 am

I vote for working at the country club if you can make connections with people who will help your career. The internship isn't that great.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:16 pm

Hey guys, I tried to find a better thread to post this in (and didn't think it warranted it's own thread), but when can I start acquiring fee waivers for next cycle. I want to submit all of my apps Sept. 1. I realize it's probably in at least a couple of months. Basically my question boils down to this: Do I need to wait until the apps open for the respective schools to get a fee waiver or can you get them beforehand so you can submit right when they open?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:27 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:Hey guys, I tried to find a better thread to post this in (and didn't think it warranted it's own thread), but when can I start acquiring fee waivers for next cycle. I want to submit all of my apps Sept. 1. I realize it's probably in at least a couple of months. Basically my question boils down to this: Do I need to wait until the apps open for the respective schools to get a fee waiver or can you get them beforehand so you can submit right when they open?

Fill out each app and try to submit it. Some of them will have fee waivers already available, others will attempt to charge you a fee. For the ones that try to charge you wait until others on TLS start reporting fee waivers and then if you don't get one contact the school. With your numbers I imagine most of your fees will be waived even if you try to submit the app on 9/1.

EdgarWinter

Postby EdgarWinter » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:31 pm

Last edited by EdgarWinter on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:38 pm

Thanks for the reply EW! I didn't see that until today. I'm glad your cycle went so well. That Ruby is amazing.

keyon

Postby keyon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:48 am

DELICIOUS SPAM

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:12 am

Just thinking a little more, and didn't want to make a new thread. What do you all think would be looked at more favorably by the top-5 (with a focus on Harvard): one take with it being a 174 or three takes, with a 174, then like a 171 and then a 175? I'm starting to consider just using all three of my takes. The 174 would have been probably at like my 40th percentile, so I was pretty happy with it, but I am almost certain that if I took it twice more I would at least hit 175+ one of the times. And I got a few 179's on practice tests, so obviously it'd be really nice to actually go out and kill a test. So I'm thinking that the 174, 171, 175 is a very realistic bottom of my expectations if I used all three takes. Just getting to that 175 with my GPA seems like it makes it an absolute lock on Harvard and brings the Hamilton into play. Obviously I just need to weigh how the multi-takes would look. The consensus is that really only YS average any more, and even they are such black boxes I feel like we can't be sure. Thoughts?

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:02 pm

Also, have people who were able to see their tests ever had a problem with eraser marks. I had two erasures, one I am about 95% sure the erasure is wrong (I just filled in the bubble by accident then had to change it to my answer) and then another I am about 80% sure that I have the right answer filled in and the wrong one erased (I changed it after much debate). Scantron sheets erase so poorly I was really worried that those two weren't going to be counted correctly. Has anyone who was able to see their score sheet had trouble with this, or are their scantron machine readers really good at picking the darkest answer? Also, I'm just a little worried that if I have it handscored I drop a point which would just suck, but since I am pretty darn confident in the two in question I think it's really unlikely. Thoughts? Specifically, of people who were able to see their answer sheets, how good are they at scoring correctly WRT erasures?

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:45 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:Also, have people who were able to see their tests ever had a problem with eraser marks. I had two erasures, one I am about 95% sure the erasure is wrong (I just filled in the bubble by accident then had to change it to my answer) and then another I am about 80% sure that I have the right answer filled in and the wrong one erased (I changed it after much debate). Scantron sheets erase so poorly I was really worried that those two weren't going to be counted correctly. Has anyone who was able to see their score sheet had trouble with this, or are their scantron machine readers really good at picking the darkest answer? Also, I'm just a little worried that if I have it handscored I drop a point which would just suck, but since I am pretty darn confident in the two in question I think it's really unlikely. Thoughts? Specifically, of people who were able to see their answer sheets, how good are they at scoring correctly WRT erasures?

Bump. Really wondering about this. The $40 bucks doesn't really matter to me, just wondering if there is actually any reason to believe that erasures cause any problems for the LSAC's scantron. Anyone?

soj

Postby soj » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:58 pm

I wouldn't risk hand scoring a February test. FWIW I had some lingering concerns (though not nearly as serious as yours) about stray erasure marks when I took the test, but when I got the scanned bubble sheet back, the erasure marks were virtually invisible.

As for retaking, like I said, so few people retake a 173+ that it's hard to say if retaking will improve your chances. My guess is that you're probably safe for Harvard, Columbia, and NYU no matter what, and retaking can only improve your chances at the Butler/Hamilton. But unless you really nail your second take, retaking is probably neutral at best at YS.

yankees42789

Postby yankees42789 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:07 pm

Yeah, I think you're probably over-thinking things a bit. I know Harvard has been a little tougher on K-JDs this cycle, but your numbers are good enough that I'd be pretty surprised if you didn't get in without a retake. I guess you could be putting yourself in play for a Butler/Hamilton if you score a few points higher, but really, if that's the only thing that could possibly (and not necessarily) be gained by a score increase (which also isn't a lock), I don't think it's worth the cost in terms of time and overall life happiness that comes with studying for and taking the LSAT. I think your time would be better spent working on writing the best personal statement possible, strengthening your relationships with professors for LORs, and ensuring that your resume is as strong as possible.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:24 pm

yankees42789 wrote:Yeah, I think you're probably over-thinking things a bit. I know Harvard has been a little tougher on K-JDs this cycle, but your numbers are good enough that I'd be pretty surprised if you didn't get in without a retake. I guess you could be putting yourself in play for a Butler/Hamilton if you score a few points higher, but really, if that's the only thing that could possibly (and not necessarily) be gained by a score increase (which also isn't a lock), I don't think it's worth the cost in terms of time and overall life happiness that comes with studying for and taking the LSAT. I think your time would be better spent working on writing the best personal statement possible, strengthening your relationships with professors for LORs, and ensuring that your resume is as strong as possible.

Yeah, that's what really concerns me. 174 3.9X seems pretty safe at Harvard, but there still are a few rejects. 175, 3.9X seems like a golden ticket. I feel like that will override any K-JD concerns.

Also SOJ, thanks again for the reply. I'm thinking I won't have it handscored, and if anyone else had an experience where they had erasing questions I'd love to hear how it went.

Return to “What are my chances?”