In need of Advice: How to to deal with a University Sanction

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
AK_Ambition

In need of Advice: How to to deal with a University Sanction

Postby AK_Ambition » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:02 am

So I am currently studying for the June LSAT and looking to be admitted by Fall of 2013. I was an Econ/Political science major @ a University in my home state (think biggest state in the union). I initially did well in school, and was on track to have a decent GPA. I was actively involved with a Community service fraternity and was on the dean's list three consecutive semesters (last time being my junior year, 3.83 semester GPA while taking 6 classes).

Unfortunately, my senior year "the chickens came home to roost" and my involvement with "substance" distribution caught up to me. For the first semester of of my Sr. year I was tasked with having to deal with potential felony convictions (fortunately the criminal record was avoided). The second semester I was faced with having deal with the "piling on" of the University, and their attempt to issue me Major Sanctions --suspension and/or expulsion-- these issues had an effect on my academic performance. I wound fessing up to the accusations made by the University and that led to me being suspended for 2 years (to be lifted come fall of 2013).

Fortunately, the process to finalize my suspension was slow enough that I was able to actually graduate with my BA prior to actually being suspended (by a couple days ha).I wound up receiving two consecutive semesters of 2.83 my Sr. year, and that led to my overall GPA falling to 3.10. I am definitely going to explain this incident in an addendum with my GPA (to explain the lower GPA), but I wanted to get some advice on whether or not I should also use this as a focus in my personal statement. I guess it was definitely a learning experience, but I am unsure if I should explain it any further than my addendum or truly embrace it and make it "a part of me". I am kind of concerned that dwelling on it may make it more "serious" than it already is. Within the two year suspension I am serving and Americorps Vista service term.

Any thoughts on this situation? Advice regarding dealing with school sanctions? Questions comments?

kalvano

Re: In need of Advice: How to to deal with a University Sanction

Postby kalvano » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:16 am

How can you be on suspension from a school you have graduated from?

Regardless, you're going to have C&F issues when it comes to being busted for dealing drugs within such a short time of applying to law school. You can't really claim it was a youthful mistake.

AK_Ambition

Postby AK_Ambition » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:24 am

kalvano wrote:How can you be on suspension from a school you have graduated from?

Regardless, you're going to have C&F issues when it comes to being busted for dealing drugs within such a short time of applying to law school. You can't really claim it was a youthful mistake.

Well I am on suspended from taking additional classes or stepping foot on the campus during that time. It was more of a formality then practicality, I guess they felt they were "setting an example". I know that I will have to answer questions regarding the issue. I am just wondering if I should attempt to answer those questions thoroughly in a personal statement, or hope my other softs paint a different picture of my character.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:27 am

I'm not really sure it matters. You're not talking an MIP or DUI here. You're talking felony-level drug sales within a couple years of applying to law school. That's going to raise some major red flags.

reformed calvinist

Postby reformed calvinist » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:33 am

block oil shipments

AK_Ambition

Postby AK_Ambition » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:42 am

kalvano wrote:I'm not really sure it matters. You're not talking an MIP or DUI here. You're talking felony-level drug sales within a couple years of applying to law school. That's going to raise some major red flags.

Not necessarily. I was never even charged by the state/city or convicted by the state/city of any crime. It was an issue of preponderances of evidence, criminal courts operate on "beyond reasonable doubt" whereas the University operated on "more likely than not". As a result of the discrepancy between their rules of evidence. I was somewhat faced with a lose lose, so as opposed to going through more formal appeals and drawing more "public" attention to the issue I went for the more convenient route and graduated and allowed them to "suspend me". The information on my academic disciplinary record is only available to a third party if I allow for it to be released. (not that I wouldn't allow it to be released, but as a show of the "severity" of the crime.)

This question was intended to be in the Personal Statement section, aimed at gauging opinion on whether or not it should be my focus in my personal statement. The contents of the post are essentially what I will use in my addendum when explaining my drop in GPA.

AK_Ambition

Postby AK_Ambition » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:43 am

reformed calvinist wrote:block oil shipments

lol hahaha I will do my best to fulfill this request.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:45 am

AK_Ambition wrote:
kalvano wrote:I'm not really sure it matters. You're not talking an MIP or DUI here. You're talking felony-level drug sales within a couple years of applying to law school. That's going to raise some major red flags.

Not necessarily. I was never even charged by the state/city or convicted by the state/city of any crime. It was an issue of preponderances of evidence, criminal courts operate on "beyond reasonable doubt" whereas the University operated on "more likely than not". As a result of the discrepancy between their rules of evidence. I was somewhat faced with a lose lose, so as opposed to going through more formal appeals and drawing more "public" attention to the issue I went for the more convenient route and graduated and allowed them to "suspend me". The information on my academic disciplinary record is only available to a third party if I allow for it to be released. (not that I wouldn't allow it to be released, but as a show of the "severity" of the crime.)

This question was intended to be in the Personal Statement section, aimed at gauging opinion on whether or not it should be my focus in my personal statement. The contents of the post are essentially what I will use in my addendum when explaining my drop in GPA.

Put this in your addendum, not your PS.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:23 am

AK_Ambition wrote:

You're going to have to disclose academic discipline to any school you apply to, as well as the state bar. Before you drop a bunch of money on law school, you should probably consult with an attorney in the state you want to be in as far as how it might affect your ability to pass the C&F portion of the bar.

Also, just to be a dick, "preponderance of the evidence" is an evidentiary standard.

AK_Ambition

Postby AK_Ambition » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:40 am

kalvano wrote:
AK_Ambition wrote:

You're going to have to disclose academic discipline to any school you apply to, as well as the state bar. Before you drop a bunch of money on law school, you should probably consult with an attorney in the state you want to be in as far as how it might affect your ability to pass the C&F portion of the bar.

Also, just to be a dick, "preponderance of the evidence" is an evidentiary standard.

Good point. I highly doubt it would have any affect on my ability to practice, but always good to check. My point about the difference in wording regarding the preponderance of evidence was made to emphasize the differences in each system regarding what is "admissible" evidence, (a trial vs some ridiculous student government appeal haha).

Are you currently in law school?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:46 am

Yes. And state bars tend to take drug offenses fairly seriously. That's why I suggest consulting with an attorney before beginning school.

lobolawyer

Postby lobolawyer » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:53 am

bceagles182 wrote:
AK_Ambition wrote:

This is the best advice is this thread. You need to fully disclose and explain the situation, but don't waste your PS on a weakness in your application. And just to dog pile on another poster, you're way off on your "admissibility" argument too.

AK_Ambition

Postby AK_Ambition » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:58 am

lobolawyer wrote:
bceagles182 wrote:
AK_Ambition wrote:

This is the best advice is this thread. You need to fully disclose and explain the situation, but don't waste your PS on a weakness in your application. And just to dog pile on another poster, you're way off on your "admissibility" argument too.

Yeah, thanks for the advice. Again, I was confused about which part of the application works best for trying to address something of this nature. I assume you mean my "admissibility" of evidence argument?

Return to “What are my chances?”