AA Male URM 2.6/150 chances at southern top 50 schools?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
quietstorm44

AA Male URM 2.6/150 chances at southern top 50 schools?

Postby quietstorm44 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:58 pm

Do I have a chance at any top 50 schools, particularly in the South? If so, which ones might give me a chance?

AA Male
2.6 cumulative GPA (3.7 degree GPA, after transferring schools my academics turned around quite a bit)
Small public Tier-2 institution
2 years public sector work experience

I realize that an even better suggestion would be to re-take the LSAT and apply next cycle, but unfortunately my GPA is still going to suck. Even if I did Would I have a chance even with a 160 and still my 2.6gpa?

bk1

Re: AA Male URM 2.6/150 chances at southern top 50 schools?

Postby bk1 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:12 pm

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

A 160's LSAT would definitely change things. Your GPA will always suck, but some schools will look past it for the chance to admit a URM with a good LSAT (e.g. NU, WUSTL, GW, SMU, etc).

anglemerchant

Postby anglemerchant » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:50 am

haha, seriously?! Do NOT go to law school with those scores......it will be more miserable than usual.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:01 am

While you should be commended for improving your grades - a point you need to highlight in an addendum - you need to come up about five points just to have a decent shot at the lower top-100. Right now, you would probably struggle to gain admission even at a T3. If you want to be a legit candidate for the lower half of the top-50, raise your score to 160.

Contrary to popular belief, URM admissions aren't that forgiving anymore, and you need to make the numbers. If you are under 30, consider getting a masters degree or at least going back to take some additional courses for a year.

Take a full load of tough courses every term and get all A's! While doing that, study the LSAT like hell for a year. If you do that, you can present yourself as a different candidate.

At the least, you need a 160 on the LSAT to give yourself a chance at the lower half of the top-50. Even some schools in the lower top-25 (Minnesota, N.D., GWU) will give you a look if you have great softs and essays to go with the new score and/or grades.

Return to “What are my chances?”