165/3.8/half AA female. Will Harvard take me? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

165/3.8/half AA female. Will Harvard take me?

Harvard will accept me.
26%
Harvard will reject me.
26%
Harvard will waitlist me.
49%

Total votes: 70

Aqua

New

165/3.8/half AA female. Will Harvard take me?

Post by Aqua » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:24 pm

165, 3.8, half African American/half German female. I went under Review at Harvard mid-January and would like to get the TLS opinion on my chances!

Thanks in advance:)

Geetar Man

Silver

Re: 165/3.8/half AA female. Will Harvard take me?

Post by Geetar Man » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:23 am

Only one person (according to LSN) has gotten in with lower numbers this year, as a URM. You have a great GPA and a decent LSAT. Decent, as in Harvard's 25th percentile is (was) around 170; your LSAT is near the lowest of their range.

In short, I think you have a good chance, assuming there is nothing else that would employ them to believe otherwise.

If you don't end up getting in, I think you should retake the LSAT and shoot for a 170+. By doing so, you will surely gain admission, under the aforementioned assumption.

Good luck!

P.S, do realize that Harvard can waitlist people as often as they want. Harvard receives the best of applicants so I would not worry so much (with numbers/urm status such as yours) that you were waitlisted.

Aqua

New

Post by Aqua » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:08 pm

Geetar Man wrote:Only one person (according to LSN) has gotten in with lower numbers this year, as a URM. You have a great GPA and a decent LSAT. Decent, as in Harvard's 25th percentile is (was) around 170; your LSAT is near the lowest of their range.

In short, I think you have a good chance, assuming there is nothing else that would employ them to believe otherwise.

If you don't end up getting in, I think you should retake the LSAT and shoot for a 170+. By doing so, you will surely gain admission, under the aforementioned assumption.

Good luck!

P.S, do realize that Harvard can waitlist people as often as they want. Harvard receives the best of applicants so I would not worry so much (with numbers/urm status such as yours) that you were waitlisted.
Thank you for the feedback. I'm a little worried that I might be dinged for focusing on the German part of my ancestry in my essay rather than the African American part...I may not get as much of a boost because I'm only half AA.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:39 pm

I cannot answer your question, but do suggest that you apply to all T-14 or so law schools that interest you to get lots of options. Good luck !

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:30 pm

Aqua wrote:
Geetar Man wrote:Only one person (according to LSN) has gotten in with lower numbers this year, as a URM. You have a great GPA and a decent LSAT. Decent, as in Harvard's 25th percentile is (was) around 170; your LSAT is near the lowest of their range.

Good luck!

Thank you for the feedback. I'm a little worried that I might be dinged for focusing on the German part of my ancestry in my essay rather than the African American part...I may not get as much of a boost because I'm only half AA.

I think you mean to say you won't receive as much of a boost. Race/ethnicity will never ding you. Rather, you should have focused on your AA, if you're legitimately half.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

red_owl

New

Post by red_owl » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:23 pm

Your AA half will be waitlisted and then rejected. Your non-AA half will be rejected as soon as the app is opened.

Aqua

New

Post by Aqua » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:28 pm

red_owl wrote:Your AA half will be waitlisted and then rejected. Your non-AA half will be rejected as soon as the app is opened.
well, i appreciate the honesty. i wonder if yale is legitimately more holistic in making decisions. cue laughter. i have seen people in the 150s gain admission on here, so maybe there's hope? or maybe i need to just suck it up and wait ANOTHER YEAR TO START LAW SCHOOL! i'm almost sure i can crack 170 on the june lsat if i put in the time. does waitlist+june170+=admit?

johnnybgood

New

Post by johnnybgood » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:04 pm

They will take you for sure!!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:18 pm

Aqua wrote:i need to just suck it up and wait ANOTHER YEAR TO START LAW SCHOOL! i'm almost sure i can crack 170 on the june lsat if i put in the time.
This. Harvard is in the cards if you can gain a few points on that LSAT. A 170/3.8 as an AA female will almost certainly get you in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:19 pm

You're probably in. If not straight away, then off the WL. Stay hopeful.

Aqua

New

Post by Aqua » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:10 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:You're probably in. If not straight away, then off the WL. Stay hopeful.
Thank you! Do you mean off the WL if my LSAT goes up or off the WL as it stands? Tempted to send a LOCI about major development at work and a new rec letter, but don't want to harrass them. Onthe other hand, half tempted to try to crack 170, wait a year and wish on the Yale star.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:16 am

Aqua wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:You're probably in. If not straight away, then off the WL. Stay hopeful.
Thank you! Do you mean off the WL if my LSAT goes up or off the WL as it stands? Tempted to send a LOCI about major development at work and a new rec letter, but don't want to harrass them. Onthe other hand, half tempted to try to crack 170, wait a year and wish on the Yale star.
As you stand. Definitely send in your LOCI regardless; it can only help you.

You are also competitive for Yale as you are. If you think you can increase your LSAT score then by all means go ahead :) You don't need to, but I guess we're similar in that sense. I retook a 166 for a 172. It's really up to you. Still, I would bet that you will get into Harvard this cycle. Good luck!

Aqua

New

Post by Aqua » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:45 pm

Waitlisted at TEXAS. First school that didn't accept me. I am incredibly grateful for the success of my cycle thus far, but kinda sucks that I got the WL notification the same day my grandmother died. Made me lose a bit of hope for the rest of T14

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

formerbiglawpartner

New

Post by formerbiglawpartner » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:01 pm

Good for Texas. Grutter is about to be reversed. Deal with it.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:09 pm

Aqua wrote:Waitlisted at TEXAS. First school that didn't accept me. I am incredibly grateful for the success of my cycle thus far, but kinda sucks that I got the WL notification the same day my grandmother died. Made me lose a bit of hope for the rest of T14
Try not to stress. It may have been a YP. URM cycles can be unpredictable sometimes. I'm also sorry to hear about your loss.

Aqua

New

Post by Aqua » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:46 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
Aqua wrote:Waitlisted at TEXAS. First school that didn't accept me. I am incredibly grateful for the success of my cycle thus far, but kinda sucks that I got the WL notification the same day my grandmother died. Made me lose a bit of hope for the rest of T14
Try not to stress. It may have been a YP. URM cycles can be unpredictable sometimes. I'm also sorry to hear about your loss.
Thank you so much. Ended up not sending in my correct essay version to Yale since was away from TLS since Sunday dealing with the funeral arrangements and work responsibilities. Do you guys think it's worth sending in the correct essay version at this late date or does that just make me look irresponsible?
On a more positive note, just found out I'm in at Berkeley! But my heart belongs to Yale.

Aqua

New

Post by Aqua » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:41 pm

I just got rejected from Penn and held at Harvard. I know my LSAT score is not great, but I wrote a "Why Penn" and am pretty bummed. Any idea how this bodes for my chances at Harvard?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”