3.61/172

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
phasoranalysis
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:50 pm

3.61/172

Postby phasoranalysis » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:09 pm

Hello, I am an undergraduate electrical engineering student from a decent tier one university. I am not a URM, and I have no real softs, other than being an officer in IEEE.

Overall GPA: 3.61
Engineering GPA: 3.93
LSAT: 172

I am graduating at the end of this semester, so my GPA is probably going to end up being around the same as what is stated above. I was extremely lazy during my first three semesters which is the cause of my poor overall GPA. I had an extremely upward grade trend throughout my five previous semesters, and my GPA for each of those semesters was a 3.46, 3.67, 4.0, 4.0, 4.0 in that order. On top of that, I am expecting a 4.0 this semester to close out my final semester here.

So, what are my chances for admission into T14 schools and other schools near their caliber? (For example, University of Texas at Austin)

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by phasoranalysis on Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: 3.61/172

Postby Nelson » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:20 pm

phasoranalysis wrote:Hello, I am an undergraduate electrical engineering student from a decent tier one university. I am not a URM, and I have no real softs, other than being an officer in IEEE.

Overall GPA: 3.60
Engineering GPA: 3.93
LSAT: 172

I am graduating at the end of this semester, so my GPA is probably going to end up being around the same as what is stated above. I was extremely lazy during my first three semesters which is the cause of my poor overall GPA. I had an extremely upward grade trend throughout my five previous semesters, and my GPA for each of those semesters was a 3.46, 3.67, 4.0, 4.0, 4.0 in that order. On top of that, I am expecting a 4.0 this semester to close out my final semester here.

So, what are my chances for admission into T14 schools and other schools near their caliber? (For example, University of Texas at Austin)

Thanks in advance!

Lawschoolnumbers.com is TCR. You have a good shot at CCN on down, minus the more GPA focused schools like Chicago and Berkeley. NYU and some combination of MVP are very likely.

Your major doesn't have much effect on your chances of getting in, but electrical engineering will help you at OCI with firms if you're looking to do IP.

phasoranalysis
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:50 pm

Re: 3.61/172

Postby phasoranalysis » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:02 am

Thank you very much for your reply!

t14fanboy
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:51 pm

Re: 3.61/172

Postby t14fanboy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:19 am

Nelson wrote:
phasoranalysis wrote:Hello, I am an undergraduate electrical engineering student from a decent tier one university. I am not a URM, and I have no real softs, other than being an officer in IEEE.

Overall GPA: 3.60
Engineering GPA: 3.93
LSAT: 172

I am graduating at the end of this semester, so my GPA is probably going to end up being around the same as what is stated above. I was extremely lazy during my first three semesters which is the cause of my poor overall GPA. I had an extremely upward grade trend throughout my five previous semesters, and my GPA for each of those semesters was a 3.46, 3.67, 4.0, 4.0, 4.0 in that order. On top of that, I am expecting a 4.0 this semester to close out my final semester here.

So, what are my chances for admission into T14 schools and other schools near their caliber? (For example, University of Texas at Austin)

Thanks in advance!

Lawschoolnumbers.com is TCR. You have a good shot at CCN on down, minus the more GPA focused schools like Chicago and Berkeley. NYU and some combination of MVP are very likely.

Your major doesn't have much effect on your chances of getting in, but electrical engineering will help you at OCI with firms if you're looking to do IP.


+1. This is TCR. You would be wasting your money applying to anything above NYU (but if you have money to blow and don't want to wonder "what if," go for it). Get your apps out early and write why essays for mich, uva, penn, and duke.

User avatar
L’Étranger
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:27 am

Re: 3.61/172

Postby L’Étranger » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:29 am

Although you are not there yet or even asking about this, FWIW: T14+EE+Interest in IP = Good employment prospects for you. Good luck.

User avatar
Tadatsune
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:17 pm

Re: 3.61/172

Postby Tadatsune » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:21 pm

+1. This is TCR. You would be wasting your money applying to anything above NYU (but if you have money to blow and don't want to wonder "what if," go for it). Get your apps out early and write why essays for mich, uva, penn, and duke.


Nonsense. OP has a decent shot at CCN at the least.

t14fanboy
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:51 pm

Re: 3.61/172

Postby t14fanboy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:28 pm

Tadatsune wrote:
+1. This is TCR. You would be wasting your money applying to anything above NYU (but if you have money to blow and don't want to wonder "what if," go for it). Get your apps out early and write why essays for mich, uva, penn, and duke.


Nonsense. OP has a decent shot at CCN at the least.


Learn how to read. Did I not say OP should apply to NYU? I said anything ABOVE NYU (ie HYSCC). If you think OP has a great shot at Chicago and Columbia go look at LSN.

User avatar
Tadatsune
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:17 pm

Re: 3.61/172

Postby Tadatsune » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:14 pm

t14fanboy wrote:
Tadatsune wrote:
+1. This is TCR. You would be wasting your money applying to anything above NYU (but if you have money to blow and don't want to wonder "what if," go for it). Get your apps out early and write why essays for mich, uva, penn, and duke.


Nonsense. OP has a decent shot at CCN at the least.


Learn how to read. Did I not say OP should apply to NYU? I said anything ABOVE NYU (ie HYSCC). If you think OP has a great shot at Chicago and Columbia go look at LSN.


I meant the he/she should apply to all three.

I'm not sure how you imagine it's a "waste of money" when there is a decent chance of getting in. It may be under 50%, but it isn't anywhere near auto-rejection. You are about to drop 1-2 hundred K you don't have on law school and the extra $200 in application fees is a big enough deal not to try for it?

OP can probably save his cash where Yale is concerned, I'll grant you.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: 3.61/172

Postby beachbum » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:21 pm

If anything, this is a great example of where taking the money is a really, really good call. That EE degree is going to be huge; take the money at a lower T14 (assuming the money is there) and graduate with great job prospects and minimal debt. Seriously, IP+T14 is like shooting fish in a barrel.

phasoranalysis
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:50 pm

Re: 3.61/172

Postby phasoranalysis » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:34 pm

Thanks, everyone. I agree that I don't have a huge shot at schools like CCN, but I will definitely apply with the expectation that there is at least a double digit chance for acceptance from those schools and the schools downwards.
I have another question. Should I write an addendum addressing my first few semesters in university? I don't actually have a very moving reason for doing poorly, other than the fact that I was tremendously lazy. I had some series of epiphanies where I realized that I needed to work much harder, and that is about it.

User avatar
AntipodeanPhil
Posts: 1300
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: 3.61/172

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:46 pm

phasoranalysis wrote:I have another question. Should I write an addendum for my first few semesters in university? I don't actually have a very moving reason for doing poorly, other than the fact that I was tremendously lazy. I had some series of epiphanies where I realized that I needed to work much harder, and that is about it.

No. You would need an amazing reason for it to have even a little weight.

t14fanboy
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:51 pm

Re: 3.61/172

Postby t14fanboy » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:34 pm

phasoranalysis wrote:Thanks, everyone. I agree that I don't have a huge shot at schools like CCN, but I will definitely apply with the expectation that there is at least a double digit chance for acceptance from those schools and the schools downwards.
I have another question. Should I write an addendum addressing my first few semesters in university? I don't actually have a very moving reason for doing poorly, other than the fact that I was tremendously lazy. I had some series of epiphanies where I realized that I needed to work much harder, and that is about it.


Don't make excuses. Addendums about grades should only be written if you had medical reasons, deaths in family, etc. And even then it can sound really whiny if written poorly. Your GPA and LSAT are good enough as is. Just blanket the t14 and apply early. You should hear good news pretty soon.

phasoranalysis
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:50 pm

Re: 3.61/172

Postby phasoranalysis » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:39 am

Alright, thanks. Just out of curiosity, how big of a deal is an upward grade trend towards the people taking care of admissions? Obviously, you all aren't psychic, but I am just wondering just in case there is some actual public knowledge about this.

User avatar
smokeylarue
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: 3.61/172

Postby smokeylarue » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:42 pm

I have pretty much identical numbers as you this cycle. You'll get into NYU, but most likely no Chicago or Columbia. Have a good shot at everything NYU on down.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CMac86 and 1 guest