Universities in Canada, What are my chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Canadianboy

Universities in Canada, What are my chances?

Postby Canadianboy » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:01 am

Hi Guys,

A Canadian here wondering if you could help a fella out. Well I have noooo idea if have a shot in getting into a University in Canada. I'm applied to nearly every school in Canada. Right now, after taking crappy grades off my GPA (like 4 course), I have a GPA of 3.63 on a 4.33 scale. I hear Ontario is on a 4.5 scale...potentially bringing my score up...maybe??? Also, in my last two years I received a, 3.44, 3,54, 4.13, and 4.00 averaging to 3.78. I have tons of work experience (Co-op complete), got a in-course scholarship, did two independent studies....etc....I believe I wrote a killer personal statement (I'm a great writer). However.....I have had a hard time increasing my LSAT score above 155....maybe this Saturday a miracle will come and I'll get 160....but nevertheless I score between 145 - 155....potentially 140 if I suck reallly bad. I had the chance to read some stuff...but is it true Canada weighs the LSAT less?

At any rate...I was wondering with such a GPA or extra stuff...would a 150, or (maybe?) 155 suffice to get into a law school in Ontario....or perhaps UBC....just wondering cause I'm curious and I hear Ontario takes a holistic approach. Thanks for reading this guys! Wish me luck on Saturday, and same to you folks who are taking it. :) :)

crys1925

Postby crys1925 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:54 am

Since there are significantly less law schools in Canada, the competition is much more extreme. I got a 163 on the LSAT and I didn't bother applying to UofT or Osgoode because I didn't feel that I had good chances.

Also, it doesn't matter if Canada is on a 4.5 scale to make your GPA higher, because it would in turn make everyone's GPA higher so your's would still be at the same spot in relation to the rest.

I would suggest taking an LSAT course. A 150 will not get you into a school here in Canada unless you are Native American. Your other option would be a T4 school in the States. Maybe I'm being overly harsh because I'm just basing it on numbers, but unless you have the most extreme soft factors known to man, a 150 just won't cut it.

Jayo

Postby Jayo » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:58 am

With your GPA:

160+ = Alberta, NB, Man, Sask, etc...

161-2+ = UWO, Queens

163+ = UBC, maybe Osgoode

165+ = Shot at UofT

Your GPA rocks, gotta nail that LSAT. Get the powerscore books and nail that SoB!

Good luck!

Canadianboy

Postby Canadianboy » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:11 pm

Thanks!!!! I guess I have to kick some butt tommorow.

TheGunner

Postby TheGunner » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:09 pm

You have no chance with a 150. Sorry if you raise your score than sure. If you cant then maybe this is just "not your field". :roll:

Hyru

Postby Hyru » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:37 pm

TheGunner,

I like how you try to be an a$$hole in each of your posts. It amuses me that you've made an account simply for that.

Carry on.

Canadianboy

Postby Canadianboy » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:39 pm

I just got a 155 on my prep test today, and I went uber fast. Maybe I should slow down.....would a 155 suffice?

I do believe I would be a great candidate as a lawyer...I just don't feel performing this exam is an indicator of any skill in becoming a lawyer....so it is hard to motivate myself. I semi don't feel like trying all that much...yet I should if I truly want to achieve the opportunity to become a lawyer.

At any rate, I could try again next year. I thought I would get into Ottawa at least....I have done billions of stuff in my undergrad...I mean I'm publishing two journal articles this year as an undergrad in psychology...does that mean nothing to them? I hope they view my application holistically as I do not believe studying 2 months for an exam should take precedence over all the sacrifice and harship over the years. I mean, I am also a resident assistant and research assistant...where would I get the time to study for this, ya know what I mean?

Pyke

Postby Pyke » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:43 pm

With your gpa, a 155 would get you into some of the lower Canadian Schools.

The Ontario Law School Admission Service has some useful information.

An important note is that the OLSAS deadline has passed (except for Windsor) which means that if you're applying for this year, you'd need to be looking outside of Ontario, and if it's for next year, you might want to wait on the LSAT.

Canadianboy

Postby Canadianboy » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:58 pm

Thanks, thats great advice! Yeah I completed my OLSAS application to all 6 Ontario schools. I'm getting all A's this semester, so my GPA might get a bump as well...in the region of 3.9 from 3.78. Maybe 155 will suffice then? haha. On the lsac info board...it says there is no set minimum into getting into Ontario. :D

Ok, well 160 here I come. I just need to relax and read thoroughly each question. My friend got into Victoria with a 158....would you say 155 - 160 could potentially get me into a law school?

~ Oh....and if I was going to take it again, say in February....with my application form already in for this year, which Ontario schools would still take the February test exam? Anyone know.

Mobb_Deep

Postby Mobb_Deep » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:59 pm

As Pyke has pointed out, the deadline for application to Ontario schools has passed (November 1st). However, here is a link to a chart you can use to calculate your GPA:

http://www.ouac.on.ca/olsas/pdf/c_olsas_b.pdf

Find your school along the bottom, and then calculate your GPA according to the number, 3 or 7 or whatever it may be.

As for the LSAT, I would agree that a 150 might make it difficult to get accepted to most schools... however some schools like Ottawa and Windsor are more hollistic, so that can help you. I would echo the advice here and suggest taking a course or study more until you are at least in the 155 range. A 160 would definately open a lot more doors for you though.

Mobb_Deep

Postby Mobb_Deep » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:01 pm

~ Oh....and if I was going to take it again, say in February....with my application form already in for this year, which Ontario schools would still take the February test exam? Anyone know.

As far as I know, most of them take the February one... Osgoode for sure does. Some people say it kind of weakens your application because the Feb LSAT comes so late, but I girl I know rewrote in February, got her score, and 2 weeks later was accepted to Osgoode.

Pyke

Postby Pyke » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:04 pm

February would be tough since most schools don't accept applications that late.

Try University of Manitoba if you're willing to leave Ontario. I have a friend who scored 149, 151 and is looking to get to a 155. Their gpa is lower than yours, but they're a Manitoba UG. Their required LSAT score is lower than most schools.

As to Ottawa, they're actually extremely selective. If you can speak French, or are a minority/Canadian Aboriginal, you'd have a good shot, but the dual civil/common law program (due to Quebec) which can be completed in 4 years creates a high demand for the Law School.

They actually have a higher selectivity ratio then the vast majority of Canadian Schools, on par with U of T.

As to quality of schools, as my alma-mater I can't speak too badly about it, though I definitely think there are better choices available...Though, neither Windsor nor Manitoba falls in that grouping to me.

-=-=-

EDIT:
As far as I know, most of them take the February one... Osgoode for sure does. Some people say it kind of weakens your application because the Feb LSAT comes so late, but I girl I know rewrote in February, got her score, and 2 weeks later was accepted to Osgoode.

With all due respect to the OP, he doesn't have the LSAT range to be competitive for U of T or Osgoode, so we're sort of wasting time on that one.

Canadianboy

Postby Canadianboy » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:06 pm

Wow! Thanks for that grading conversion table! :)

I'll let you guys know how I did tommorow. I am well-prepared for the exam...I just feel so burned out atm...thinking that worse case scenario I would get 150 - 155...but now that I actually have to try....arg XD
I thought I could pretty much coast with my grades, damn...oh well. Thanks for the advice peeps.

Canadianboy

Pyke

Postby Pyke » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:09 pm

If the test is tomorrow:

STOP DOING PREP TESTS.

Relax your brain.

Get a good night sleep.

Make sure you eat well in the morning, but don't eat more than you normally would. Do try to make sure you get some protein.

Don't do things you normally wouldn't do (i.e., excessive coffee or sugar or red bull).

When you write the test, don't worry about the score. Just write it and do the best you can. You don't control the score.

Try to be at your test center 30-45min before the check in time, at least. It allows you to be familiar with the area.

Don't panic. If you get caught up, take 3-5 seconds and collect yourself. If you don't feel that will help, move on and come back.

Make sure you have every answer bubbled.

Do not try to figure out what your experimental is.

Good luck :).

-=-=-=-

Note: I scored a 166 in June, 163 in September...I'm not necessarily an 'expert' but I do think the above is helpful.

Canadianboy

Postby Canadianboy » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:12 pm

Thanks Pyke! Your the best! ;)
I will be definately be listening to your advice. Legally Blonde DVDS here I come, haha. :)

I'm pretty stoked can't wait! The LSAT is actually fun to do, if you take away the whole...this will determine if you ever go to law school part, haha.

Pyke

Postby Pyke » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:15 pm

I am not sure I'd consider it fun. I misbubbled in September and it dropped my score, which sucks.

In any case, it's a test that a lot of people struggle with. I never really struggled with it - I just didn't do well enough. It's all relative of course.

Also, these forums are a bad place in that, it's very not-normal.

The average LSAT on these boards is something like 166-168 among active posters.

To put that in perspective, the average person is posting from the 93rd-96th percentile. Hardly representative.

A score of 155 is still above 65-70% of law school applicants which is pretty impressive.

Canadianboy

Postby Canadianboy » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:32 pm

haha.....I know eh...I was like, I could not fathom anyone getting a 170 or above...let alone something like 179 or 180 for that fact! Then I found this forum and in the first post I read was like...."OMG I got a 174, should I retake the exam?"...."Yeah, I got a 178, geez, tsk tsk".....I was.....OMMMMFFFFG. Congrats to all of you...your like the top 5% of the population to rock it! :)

Hopefully Manitoba will love me then......! XD Altho, 155 is pretty good score....to get a 160...that would be getting like 23 - 25 wrong, that is, 5ish wrong on each section...that is like getting 20 right on each section, like WOW! thats impressive.

P.J.Fry

Postby P.J.Fry » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:49 pm

If memory serves me correctly, Victoria weights GPA/LSAT at 70/30, so you will have a pretty good shot there.

Pyke

Postby Pyke » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:07 pm

Heh, in June I had 13 wrong over the entire test for a 166.

TheGunner

Postby TheGunner » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:55 pm

Pyke I hate you a bit for getting 13 wrong and a 166

Pyke

Postby Pyke » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:59 pm

Pyke I hate you a bit for getting 13 wrong and a 166

Why is that?

I wish it woulda been higher, then I would have been admitted to Mich by now.

TheGunner

Postby TheGunner » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:00 pm

I dont know seems like the curve helped you bunches

Pyke

Postby Pyke » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:01 pm

Uh...how do you figure?

Normally it's 13 wrong for a 168 or 169....

Jayo

Postby Jayo » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:21 pm

June was a savage curve...

Return to “What are my chances?”