-

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Ben Reilly

-

Postby Ben Reilly » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:44 am

-
Last edited by Ben Reilly on Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

bernaldiaz

Re: URM/4.02 LSAC GPA/ 160 LSAT

Postby bernaldiaz » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:46 am

You already will have some great options. Get that LSAT up over a 165 and you'll be Harvard, Yale, Stanford secure.

Postby 20130312 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:46 am

You're in awesome shape. As an AA male with those numbers alone, I'd say schools in the T6 will bite. If you bump up your LSAT in October to ~165, you are almost certainly in at one of HYS. Study carefully and kill that test. Good luck man.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:08 am

Get it up over a 170. I don't think you need it for any school but Yale, but it will probably feel pretty good when you are sitting in law school and your classmates are subtly talking down to you, still knowing that you are objectively as good as them and they are full of BS. Also, hitting 170 will build up the type of reading comp and argument analysis skills that you will use daily in school.

I'm sorry for people that throw lower expectations at you because of your skin color.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:19 am

TaipeiMort wrote:Get it up over a 170. I don't think you need it for any school but Yale, but it will probably feel pretty good when you are sitting in law school and your classmates are subtly talking down to you, still knowing that you are objectively as good as them and they are full of BS. Also, hitting 170 will build up the type of reading comp and argument analysis skills that you will use daily in school.

I'm sorry for people that throw lower expectations at you because of your skin color.

people aren't giving him lower expectations. They are telling him what is objectively needed to achieve his goals. If he can, and decides to, go above and beyond, great for him. But a 170 with a 4.0 and AA male boost is not necessary for any school

Ben Reilly

Postby Ben Reilly » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:21 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:Get it up over a 170. I don't think you need it for any school but Yale, but it will probably feel pretty good when you are sitting in law school and your classmates are subtly talking down to you, still knowing that you are objectively as good as them and they are full of BS. Also, hitting 170 will build up the type of reading comp and argument analysis skills that you will use daily in school.

For the record, in the event that I retake, I was shooting for that range anyway. I was scoring from 170-173 in the month prior to the test, but I completely choked like I couldn't believe on the day of the test. I also only got about an hour of sleep the night before, so that didn't help either. I'm not making excuses, but I know exactly where I went wrong last time--from studying habits to dumb mistakes on exam day--so at least now I have a precedent to build upon. Money is a factor here, so the higher the score, the better chance for merit aid at some schools.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I'll thoroughly revise my studying habits and hope for the best in October.

While we're on the subject, does anyone know if non-punitive withdrawals really matter?

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:42 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:While we're on the subject, does anyone know if non-punitive withdrawals really matter?

Nope, just the calculated LSAC GPA which doesn't take Ws into account. Don't worry about it!

Ben Reilly

Postby Ben Reilly » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:42 am

law4vus wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:While we're on the subject, does anyone know if non-punitive withdrawals really matter?

Nope, just the calculated LSAC GPA which doesn't take Ws into account. Don't worry about it!

Hellz yea!

Also, is an improved October score highly disadvantageous for scholarship money in comparison with an improved June score, or would the difference be negligible?

Postby 20130312 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:13 am

Ben Reilly wrote:
law4vus wrote:

Hellz yea!

Also, is an improved October score highly disadvantageous for scholarship money in comparison with an improved June score, or would the difference be negligible?

No difference whatsoever.

Champion

Postby Champion » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:12 am

Bro, take it from me and my cycle, you are in great shape. The only thing that could stop you within some t10 schools is yield protection and that's with the lower t10. In terms of HYS, I think you would be in at H & S (especially with Stanford loving GPA's and Harvard's incoming class being so big and them always wanting a good amount of AA males) with that GPA, and it would still be a tossup for Yale (you can just never know with them).

Edit: Also, might want to add an addendum in regards to the withdrawals. However, only if you can it in a way that doesn't come off as making excuses.

Return to “What are my chances?”