3.71 169 LSAT Cornell?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Klz112
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:26 am

3.71 169 LSAT Cornell?

Postby Klz112 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:30 am

I've interned for 3 different firms, been part of my school's Pre-law club (one of the presidents this last year), majored in Finance w/ a minor in logic. I recently got back from a 2 year service mission to Taiwan for my church (LDS, all work-no "fun and games")and speak fluent Mandarin. I'm about to finish up my last year of school. What would you say my chances of Cornell are?

*Edit: I was 19 when I took the LSAT (2 years ago)

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 3.71 169 LSAT Cornell?

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:07 am

I would say your chances are pretty good. I got in two cycles ago with a 168/3.79.

User avatar
PinkCow
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 am

Re: 3.71 169 LSAT Cornell?

Postby PinkCow » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:15 am

I assume you have already applied or are talking about next year, because you missed the deadline.

That said, I'd say you have a very strong chance, especially with your significant ECs. If you apply early, I'd be very surprised if you didn't get in.

I would also apply to Michigan and would be surprised if you didn't get in there.

User avatar
BuckinghamB
Posts: 457
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: 3.71 169 LSAT Cornell?

Postby BuckinghamB » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:35 am

PinkCow wrote:I assume you have already applied or are talking about next year, because you missed the deadline.

That said, I'd say you have a very strong chance, especially with your significant ECs. If you apply early, I'd be very surprised if you didn't get in.

I would also apply to Michigan and would be surprised if you didn't get in there.

ebw1080
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:56 pm

Re: 3.71 169 LSAT Cornell?

Postby ebw1080 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:01 am

i got in last year w/ 3.56 169...it was off the waitlist though.

User avatar
PinkCow
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 am

Re: 3.71 169 LSAT Cornell?

Postby PinkCow » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:13 am

lol those were my exact stats. No wl for this brah though.

Asleep
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:29 am

Re: 3.71 169 LSAT Cornell?

Postby Asleep » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:18 am

I got in off the waitlist with a 3.69/168 after applying on the very last day possible. I'd say you have more than a good shot.

piscola
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: 3.71 169 LSAT Cornell?

Postby piscola » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:00 pm

I got in with 3.72 168 2 weeks ago and my softs weren't as good as yours. I would say you've got a good shot :)

Klz112
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:26 am

Re: 3.71 169 LSAT Cornell?

Postby Klz112 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:54 pm

PinkCow wrote:I assume you have already applied or are talking about next year, because you missed the deadline.

That said, I'd say you have a very strong chance, especially with your significant ECs. If you apply early, I'd be very surprised if you didn't get in.

I would also apply to Michigan and would be surprised if you didn't get in there.


Yeah, I'm looking at applying for this next year round. And thanks for the reassurance everybody, I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best!

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: 3.71 169 LSAT Cornell?

Postby gaud » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:55 pm

You should aim higher

User avatar
Chucky21
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: 3.71 169 LSAT Cornell?

Postby Chucky21 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:37 pm

I got in 168, 3.9. I would be surprised if you didn't. Apply early so that you fall under the Early Action non-binding category and you should be good. Wait longer and you will be bunched up with a lot of other people and will thus have more of a chance of being waitlisted.

wiscohopeful
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:13 pm

Re: 3.71 169 LSAT Cornell?

Postby wiscohopeful » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:09 am

Aim higher...and what is this minor in logic you speak of? Elaborate

Klz112
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:26 am

Re: 3.71 169 LSAT Cornell?

Postby Klz112 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:54 am

Chucky, when I apply I'm gonna make sure I fall into the EA category, so hopefully that will play to my advantage.


As for aiming higher, I'm applying to Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, U of Chicago, and NYU. I would love to attend Harvard or Stanford, but I'm afraid it will be mainly chance if I get in. Also, I don't have any ties to either program (I'm actually the first person in my family on both sides to go to any schooling after highschool..). I've looked into all of the aforementioned schools, and I'm open to all of them.

As for the logic minor, it requires several classes on deductive logic, predicate logic, and metalogic. We dwelt a lot on the history and use of predicate logic, evaluation of arguments with counterexamples and proofs, informal mathematical proofs, and the incompleteness of arithmetic and set theory.

My apologies for getting back to this thread so late, I've been swamped :oops:

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: 3.71 169 LSAT Cornell?

Postby rad lulz » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:56 am

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
johansantana21
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: 3.71 169 LSAT Cornell?

Postby johansantana21 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:57 am

Good if not great.

User avatar
bernaldiaz
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: 3.71 169 LSAT Cornell?

Postby bernaldiaz » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:58 am

Klz112 wrote:Chucky, when I apply I'm gonna make sure I fall into the EA category, so hopefully that will play to my advantage.


As for aiming higher, I'm applying to Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, U of Chicago, and NYU. I would love to attend Harvard or Stanford, but I'm afraid it will be mainly chance if I get in. Also, I don't have any ties to either program (I'm actually the first person in my family on both sides to go to any schooling after highschool..). I've looked into all of the aforementioned schools, and I'm open to all of them.

As for the logic minor, it requires several classes on deductive logic, predicate logic, and metalogic. We dwelt a lot on the history and use of predicate logic, evaluation of arguments with counterexamples and proofs, informal mathematical proofs, and the incompleteness of arithmetic and set theory.

My apologies for getting back to this thread so late, I've been swamped :oops:


Unless you are a URM you have almost no chance at any of those schools you just named. When people told you to aim higher, they didn't mean quite that high.

User avatar
johansantana21
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: 3.71 169 LSAT Cornell?

Postby johansantana21 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:58 am

bernaldiaz wrote:
Klz112 wrote:Chucky, when I apply I'm gonna make sure I fall into the EA category, so hopefully that will play to my advantage.


As for aiming higher, I'm applying to Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, U of Chicago, and NYU. I would love to attend Harvard or Stanford, but I'm afraid it will be mainly chance if I get in. Also, I don't have any ties to either program (I'm actually the first person in my family on both sides to go to any schooling after highschool..). I've looked into all of the aforementioned schools, and I'm open to all of them.

As for the logic minor, it requires several classes on deductive logic, predicate logic, and metalogic. We dwelt a lot on the history and use of predicate logic, evaluation of arguments with counterexamples and proofs, informal mathematical proofs, and the incompleteness of arithmetic and set theory.

My apologies for getting back to this thread so late, I've been swamped :oops:


Unless you are a URM you have almost no chance at any of those schools you just named. When people told you to aim higher, they didn't mean quite that high.


Don't apply to any of the T6. Waste of money.

User avatar
bernaldiaz
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: 3.71 169 LSAT Cornell?

Postby bernaldiaz » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:09 am

johansantana21 wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:
Klz112 wrote:Chucky, when I apply I'm gonna make sure I fall into the EA category, so hopefully that will play to my advantage.


As for aiming higher, I'm applying to Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, U of Chicago, and NYU. I would love to attend Harvard or Stanford, but I'm afraid it will be mainly chance if I get in. Also, I don't have any ties to either program (I'm actually the first person in my family on both sides to go to any schooling after highschool..). I've looked into all of the aforementioned schools, and I'm open to all of them.

As for the logic minor, it requires several classes on deductive logic, predicate logic, and metalogic. We dwelt a lot on the history and use of predicate logic, evaluation of arguments with counterexamples and proofs, informal mathematical proofs, and the incompleteness of arithmetic and set theory.

My apologies for getting back to this thread so late, I've been swamped :oops:


Unless you are a URM you have almost no chance at any of those schools you just named. When people told you to aim higher, they didn't mean quite that high.


Don't apply to any of the T6. Waste of money.


Although it does sound like OP may be a URM (first generation student?) so they might be able to snag NYU, if you check out LSN. But even that's a long shot. Obviously, if not a URM those apps are entirely a waste of time and money.

Klz112
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:26 am

Re: 3.71 169 LSAT Cornell?

Postby Klz112 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:21 am

My parents are Austrian, too bad I'm white :wink:

I figured those were pretty high, but what about Michigan? UPenn? Duke?

User avatar
bernaldiaz
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: 3.71 169 LSAT Cornell?

Postby bernaldiaz » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:25 am

Play around with Lawschoolnumbers.com

You seem to have pretty good extra curriculars so if there is a data point where one of the candidates got accepted and one rejected you might be more likely to be accepted, but honestly you shouldn't expect anything out of the ordinary from what your numbers will dictate.

User avatar
johansantana21
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: 3.71 169 LSAT Cornell?

Postby johansantana21 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:26 am

Klz112 wrote:My parents are Austrian, too bad I'm white :wink:

I figured those were pretty high, but what about Michigan? UPenn? Duke?


Michigan is actually viable.

Duke and Upenn worth an app but highly doubt you get in.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: 3.71 169 LSAT Cornell?

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:50 am

If you don't get admitted to Cornell, it won't be due to your numbers. Certainly apply to any T-7 to T-17 that are of interest to you. ED to Virginia if you want a milder climate.

piscola
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: 3.71 169 LSAT Cornell?

Postby piscola » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:04 pm

If you're applying next year, I would retake. 169 is a great score, but 170+ is magical. An extra 3 points and you'd have a decent shot at Columbia.

I'm not one to say automatically "wait another year until you're scores are better and reapply"- time is a valuable thing- but if you're already waiting, it would be silly not to. Every point is thousands of dollars in scholarship money, not to mention better schools.

Klz112
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:26 am

Re: 3.71 169 LSAT Cornell?

Postby Klz112 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:33 pm

piscola wrote:If you're applying next year, I would retake. 169 is a great score, but 170+ is magical. An extra 3 points and you'd have a decent shot at Columbia.

I'm not one to say automatically "wait another year until you're scores are better and reapply"- time is a valuable thing- but if you're already waiting, it would be silly not to. Every point is thousands of dollars in scholarship money, not to mention better schools.


I've been considering doing this, I'll make sure to keep this in mind. Thanks

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: 3.71 169 LSAT Cornell?

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:01 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:If you don't get admitted to Cornell, it won't be due to your numbers. Certainly apply to any T-7 to T-17 that are of interest to you. ED to Virginia if you want a milder climate.

UVA will probably be a no-go (below both medians).




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests