3.07/169 - Applying all over Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
OmarLittle

New

3.07/169 - Applying all over

Post by OmarLittle » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:04 am

Long time lurker here, hoping that posting on this forum maybe, just maybe, will distract me from looking at my prospective schools' status checkers 10 times a day. Anyone who could give me their opinion on my chances at my (painfully huge) list of schools, I'd greatly appreciate it. Sorry for the length, just trying to be thorough.

My info:
3.07 GPA (from a relatively average state school, with an English/Philosophy major, unfortunately). Graduated 2 years ago.
169 LSAT (my one and only time taking it)
LOR's: 2 from employers, both glowingly awesome (which I know, for a fact)
Personal Statement: Wrote about how 2 things (losing a childhood friend to drug addiction and a cycle of crime, and my mother's incurable early onset dementia) have influenced me and will make me a better lawyer because of their effect on how I see crime, especially involving those suffering from mental illness and substance abuse. Statement is written very well, my main issue is whether
adcomms will like/dislike subject matter.
Softs:
-Have been working constantly 16 in a variety of jobs, none of which are all that impressive, I'm afraid. Included working all through college.
-Eagle Scout
Addendum: Regarding GPA, explain that severe insomnia and social anxiety influenced my GPA negatively, but that both issues have been overcome and should not give adcomm a reason to worry (though I doubt my opinion on that really matters).

My School List (I, like splitters should, cast a wiiide net. All applications are in and complete)
Columbia
Cornell
UVA
BC
William and Mary
Emory
WUStL
UC-Hastings
Wash and Lee
Ohio State
Temple
Brooklyn
SUNY Buffalo

Thanks for giving me your opinions, and good luck with your cycles!

alpha kenny body

Gold

Re: 3.07/169 - Applying all over

Post by alpha kenny body » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:47 am

URM?

OmarLittle

New

Post by OmarLittle » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:49 am

Unfortunately, not an URM. Full on white "privileged"

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:05 am

Omar Little. The illest character in the history of television?

OmarLittle

New

Post by OmarLittle » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:10 am

chimp wrote:Omar Little. The illest character in the history of television?
Oh, by far.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:13 am

OmarLittle wrote:
Oh, by far.

Sorry for shittin up your thread, but there isn't much advice to give here. Have you checked out lawschoolnumbers.com? That should give you a pretty good idea.
Last edited by 071816 on Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OmarLittle

New

Post by OmarLittle » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:18 am

chimp wrote:
OmarLittle wrote:
Oh, by far.
--ImageRemoved--

Sorry for shittin up your thread, but there isn't much advice to give here. Have you checked out lawschoolnumbers.com? That should give you a pretty good idea.
Being a "The Wire" fan gives you leeway to shit up every thread you want, in my book.

Yeah, believe me I've done hours of neurotic checking of every website imaginable regarding my chances at these various schools. With my numbers the way they are, it's going to come down to my statement/LOR's at a lot of these places I think, or maybe moreso just plain old luck. Who knows, maybe someone with close to my situation has applied to some of these schools and has some insight.

blackandyellow

New

Post by blackandyellow » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:12 am

UVA ED next cycle.... That is the answer. Also consider applying to NW. They love WE. Maybe vanderbilt too.
Also, you might want to consider retaking.

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:25 am

blackandyellow wrote:UVA ED next cycle.... That is the answer. Also consider applying to NW. They love WE. Maybe vanderbilt too.
Also, you might want to consider retaking.
OP has no shot at UVA ED or otherwise. Slightly modified to a very small shot if he is a VA resident. Columbia is no shot, Cornell is going to have to adore the rest of your application for a shot, and so is Vandy. Wustl will throw $$ at you, and all the others are in with money or state school crapshoots.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OmarLittle

New

Post by OmarLittle » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:02 pm

Appreciate your input. I got the all too common Columbia fee waiver so it was basically a $16 lottery ticket as far as I was concerned. To be honest I applied to such a high amount/range of schools because, you never know whos going to like your application more than others. Its worth it for a chance at a much better investment. Actually just got the Brooklyn acceptance email today, so at least I started off with a win, although going to Brooklyn isnt going to happen without some serious coin. Good for the self esteem though. You all are more optimistic than I am, which is nice.

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:06 am

OmarLittle wrote:Appreciate your input. I got the all too common Columbia fee waiver so it was basically a $16 lottery ticket as far as I was concerned. To be honest I applied to such a high amount/range of schools because, you never know whos going to like your application more than others. Its worth it for a chance at a much better investment. Actually just got the Brooklyn acceptance email today, so at least I started off with a win, although going to Brooklyn isnt going to happen without some serious coin. Good for the self esteem though. You all are more optimistic than I am, which is nice.
I had a better GPA and LSAT and also got the Columbia fee waiver in Feb. Was worth my $12 lotto ticket too, but I knew it was a slim shot. Especially after I called them out on their tactics in the PS.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”