173 LSAT 3.9 GPA - Set on Harvard

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
slsplease

173 LSAT 3.9 GPA - Set on Harvard

Postby slsplease » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:09 am

I plan on getting two to three years of work experience in DC before law school. The thing that would change this is admission to Harvard, Yale, or Stanford. Once I've banked my LSAT and GPA, can I plan on applying to HYS three years in a row? I will be working, so ostensibly I'll be doing something to enhance my application. I understand that despite my strong softs and numbers HYS are total crapshoots; It's likely that I could ride all three WLs. The idea of trying my luck three times appeals to me, because I feel like given my strong numbers and extremely solid softs, one of these schools will pick me up.

Are chances generally decreased, increased, or static when students re-apply the next admissions cycle?

LawSchoolChampion

Re: 173 LSAT 3.9 GPA - Set on Harvard

Postby LawSchoolChampion » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:57 pm

Generally, it doesn't make a difference, though adcoms have expressed that using the same PS may not be the best idea.

I also think you may snag one of HYS if you apply early - in fact, I'd be surprised if you didn't.

slsplease

Postby slsplease » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:45 pm

Great. I really like the idea of apply to HYS this fall and being able to totally ride the wait-lists if necessary.

My thought is that even though I'd prefer to get a job on the hill before LS, I can always petition for a deferral and if that doesn't work out, going to HYS would be fine with me. I don't like the idea of putting all of my eggs in one admissions cycle.

Of course, this ignores the possibility that I might get good schollys at lower T14s, but I think I'd take HYS over lower T14s.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:56 am

So your title says Harvard, but your name says Stanford.

You may only choose one.

slsplease

Postby slsplease » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:30 pm

I go back and forth over which I would prefer. Harvard is sweet just for name recognition, but I'd say that Stanford would be better for the location and small class size.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:20 pm

Applying at the beginning of next cycle, 173/3.9 is very strong for HLS--not audo-admit, but I think more likely in than not. Working on the hill might make you more attractive to YLS though, especially if it turns into a good PS.

Anyway, if you just want Harvard, I doubt you'd need to do more than one cycle. Good luck!

Return to “What are my chances?”