URM, Biology GPA LSAC?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Blindrage

URM, Biology GPA LSAC?

Postby Blindrage » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:09 pm

Im a URM, with a 3.1GPA in Biology/Chemistry graduate looking to get into patent tech/intellectual property law...

Quick question, which I haven't found the answer to as of yet on the forums(or google)... What if you had taken a single course a number of times, a total of 4 times(college algebra, never did homework or showed up EVER)...Which resulted in a 2 Fs 1 D and my fourth retake an A :oops: .... how would this factor in the retake policy of converting my GPA for the final LSAC GPA? Ironically, I took calculus/stats and made an A.

My cumulative GPA TANKS with these raw credits, but if I average the total retakes into a SINGLE grade, it give me a 1.25 for that single course?

Also, I would like to go to Texas Tech or Baylor Spring admission. I plan to make a 160-165 on my LSAT(but dont we all?), a potential splitter.

Glad to join the forums :mrgreen:
Last edited by Blindrage on Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: URM, GPA LSAC?

Postby 20130312 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:11 pm

Sorry to say, LSAC doesn't average retakes. It adds them all up as if they were separate courses.

Blindrage

Re: URM, GPA LSAC?

Postby Blindrage » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:14 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Sorry to say, LSAC doesn't average retakes. It adds them all up as if they were separate courses.

Retaking courses helps your CSULB GPA, but they will be averaged by the LSDAS (the Law School Data Assembly Service -- an organization that forwards your LSAT score, your letters of recommendation, and a standardized transcript to all of the law schools to which you apply). This means that if you earned a "D," retook the class and earned a "B," your grade will be reported to the law schools by the LSDAS as "C."

As per http://www.csulb.edu:

http://www.csulb.edu/colleges/chhs/depa ... School.htm

I'm familar with the above method through medical adcoms, as law/medical school use the same method?

Re: URM, Biology GPA LSAC?

Postby 20130312 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:22 pm

As someone that retook a course that I failed, I am telling you from experience that LSAC will count it as two separate courses.

From the official LSAC website.

Blindrage

Postby Blindrage » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:36 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:As someone that retook a course that I failed, I am telling you from experience that LSAC will count it as two separate courses.

From the official LSAC website.

Thanks

With that being said, my GPA plummets to a 2.8.... Any chances with a decent school here in texas with even a 160-165? Wondering if its even worth my time or maybe I should just go to grad school. :|

SciDoc

Postby SciDoc » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:11 pm

just a bit of a tangent...If you plan on becoming a Patent Attorney, specializing in Biotech or Pharma, you won't be competitive at all with just a Bachelors. Hopefully you have at least a Masters, or even better, a Ph.D. If you don't, then I would strongly advise you to spend a few years in Grad school before heading to law school to do IP/patents.

edit: Go to Grad School. Your overall app, and experience will look a hell of a lot better and your career goals kind of depend on some post-bachelors education.

Return to “What are my chances?”