Too Late to Apply to Fordham, American, Cardozo Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
StarLightSpectre

Bronze

Too Late to Apply to Fordham, American, Cardozo

Post by StarLightSpectre » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:23 pm

I'm a Mex URM with stats on my profile and pretty good softs. This cycle isn't turning out how I hoped and I'm wondering if it's too late to apply to a few more schools.

I already blanketed the lower t14 including Texas as well as Vandy (no response yet), Notre Dame (waitlist), UC-Davis (no response yet) and a several other schools in the top tier. The only acceptance I have so far is Colorado.

Also, I'm retaking in June but honestly would rather not wait another year and hope to use a much improved score (I was PT'ing 166-170) in order to negotiate $ or get of a wait list.

All help is appreciated.

bk1

Diamond

Re: Too Late to Apply to Fordham, American, Cardozo

Post by bk1 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:26 pm

A 3.8/162/URM shouldn't even consider American or Cardozo. Maybe Fordham if they threw a ton of money at you.

As much as you may not want to, if your cycle doesn't net you a large amount of money to a top regional school or a lower T14 acceptance you really should retake/reapply. More likely, even if you get a lot of money to a top regional or sticker at a lower T14, you'd be better off by retaking/reapplying and getting money from a T14.

StarLightSpectre

Bronze

Post by StarLightSpectre » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:43 pm

bk187 wrote:A 3.8/162/URM shouldn't even consider American or Cardozo. Maybe Fordham if they threw a ton of money at you.

As much as you may not want to, if your cycle doesn't net you a large amount of money to a top regional school or a lower T14 acceptance you really should retake/reapply. More likely, even if you get a lot of money to a top regional or sticker at a lower T14, you'd be better off by retaking/reapplying and getting money from a T14.
I know this is the wise choice but taking another year off is pretty painful (I've been out for 2 already). Being from Texas, I was actually starting to be ok with Houston or SMU if I don't end up getting into Texas. But I just got held at SMU and haven't heard anything from Houston. Hence, my asking about other schools.

Thanks for the advice.

AriGoldButNicer

Bronze

Post by AriGoldButNicer » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:48 pm

Smu may be yp.

They'll both still accept you. People who take the feb lsat will get in. You just won't get as much $. You should get full rides to A and C. F will prob give you something. You'll get a top 14 though.

StarLightSpectre

Bronze

Post by StarLightSpectre » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:03 pm

I'll probably apply to all American, Fordham, and Cardozo, maybe Temple as well. Pay for the seat deposits on the best school/value I get this cycle, retake in June and see what I score. That way at worst I'll be in A school and at best I'll just withdraw and reapply next cycle.

Thanks for the help guys.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:03 pm

StarLightSpectre wrote:I know this is the wise choice but taking another year off is pretty painful (I've been out for 2 already). Being from Texas, I was actually starting to be ok with Houston or SMU if I don't end up getting into Texas. But I just got held at SMU and haven't heard anything from Houston. Hence, my asking about other schools.

Thanks for the advice.
I don't think there's anything wrong with SMU/UH with a lot of money (I know someone who took a full ride at SMU/UH over a bit of money at a lower T14 because he wanted TX, he likely could not have gotten into UT because his GPA was holding him back, not his LSAT), but I think with your stats you shouldn't settle for less than UT with good money (even it requires retaking).

AriGoldButNicer

Bronze

Post by AriGoldButNicer » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:58 pm

I don't think waiting is all that bad because:

1.) work sucks
2.) working 80 hr week sucks
3.) you've got ur whole life to make $
4.) law seems to be a field where the hardest $ to make is the first job.
5.) the better the school:better odds.

2015JD

New

Post by 2015JD » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:56 pm

Kinda of close stats here. PR URM with 3.55 164 pretty decent softs. WL at W&L, GW, in at Dozo, dinged at BU, and Northwestern. Don't know how different MA is from PR, but right now I am not feeling ANY URM boost. Non-URM applicants with worse numbers than me got in at W&L (some with money) and I got WL. URMs (AA mainly) got into both GW and BU (some with money) and I got WL at GW and dinged at BU.

What I have learned so far- Don't count on a URM boost, cause unless your AA it seems to be VERY VERY hit and miss. Oh and the Supreme Court is taking a case which might get rid of URM status all together.

I would say retake, with you only your LSAT is hurting you. Hit a 170 and you got a good shot at T14.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”