3.56 / 161 -- Military

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
sinisterkid

3.56 / 161 -- Military

Postby sinisterkid » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:19 pm

Grizz says I can create a thread, so here goes.

I'm having the post-application jitters and afraid I've not cast a wide enough net. I have a GPA of 3.56 from UGA and LSAT of 161 from 2007 (taken before my decision to join the military).

Softs -- Marine Corps Officer (read: tons of leadership experience).

Schools to which I've applied:

Alabama
Arizona State
UC-Berkeley
UCLA
Duke
Emory
Georgia
Georgia State
Pepperdine
USC
Tulane
Vanderbilt

I realize my numbers are much lower than the medians at the majority of these schools, but I'm hoping my PS/resume/experiences will strike a chord with the adcoms.

I applied late in the cycle (right around New Year's). If late Feb rolls around and I don't have any acceptances, I'll hit the panic button and apply to Mercer and some other tier 2/tier 3 schools.

At any rate, I'd appreciate any reassuring pats on the back or wake-up slaps across the face. Thanks.

romothesavior

Re: 3.56 / 161 -- Military

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:10 pm

Your military experience will help, but its not going to be a massive boost. It has been five years since you've taken the LSAT, and I think you really should retake. It is only January, and you have months to prepare for June/September. 6-7 points would make you competitive for schools like Vandy and UCLA, and you could probably get some money at Emory.

Not putting in 2-3 solid months of LSAT studying and getting a higher score would be a disservice to yourself. You owe it to yourself to go all out and put yourself in the best position to succeed.

Good luck.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:12 pm

romothesavior wrote:Your military experience will help, but its not going to be a massive boost. It has been five years since you've taken the LSAT, and I think you really should retake. It is only January, and you have months to prepare for June/September. 6-7 points would make you competitive for schools like Vandy and UCLA, and you could probably get some money at Emory.

Not putting in 2-3 solid months of LSAT studying and getting a higher score would be a disservice to yourself. You owe it to yourself to go all out and put yourself in the best position to succeed.

Good luck.

Basically this, plus you applied late. If you're gonna do this, do it right.

sinisterkid

Postby sinisterkid » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:40 am

Waiting another year is less than ideal, as I have a wife and 2 kids. Also, I couldn't get my head around logic games when I was at my sharpest intellect in college -- I doubt I'll be able to master them to bump my score 7 points after 4 years of being a dumb Marine.

Thanks for the advice. Were I still a single man, I would probably take the year to study and find a job in the legal field and re-apply next cycle. As for the money, I have the GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon Program, so that isn't a priority.

What kind of bump is typical for military vets? Anyone know of success stories with my numbers similar to mine? Can't really find many on lawschoolnumbers that aren't URM...

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:38 am

sinisterkid wrote:Waiting another year is less than ideal, as I have a wife and 2 kids. Also, I couldn't get my head around logic games when I was at my sharpest intellect in college -- I doubt I'll be able to master them to bump my score 7 points after 4 years of being a dumb Marine.

Thanks for the advice. Were I still a single man, I would probably take the year to study and find a job in the legal field and re-apply next cycle. As for the money, I have the GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon Program, so that isn't a priority.

What kind of bump is typical for military vets? Anyone know of success stories with my numbers similar to mine? Can't really find many on lawschoolnumbers that aren't URM...

The bump for vets is small and tends to occur more in $. A school may reach a pt or so lower.

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:59 am

I got into a school I otherwise wouldn't have because of my service, and I'm not even a veteran. I was below their 25% LSAT. Anecdotal. But the admissions person wrote me a handwritten note on the acceptance letter to that effect. Some schools have really low military/veteran populations, so they try to compensate.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:05 pm

sinisterkid wrote:Waiting another year is less than ideal, as I have a wife and 2 kids. Also, I couldn't get my head around logic games when I was at my sharpest intellect in college -- I doubt I'll be able to master them to bump my score 7 points after 4 years of being a dumb Marine.

Maybe a few LSAT points at most. It probably depends on the school and the person applying. If you aren't retaking, I think you can cross off Berkeley, UCLA, USC, Duke, and Vanderbilt. Apply if you so desire, but your odds of admission would seem very low. Emory and Georgia are probably your reaches, and I think you'll be out at both as well, but perhaps one will give you a huge vet boost. Tulane, Pepperdine, and ASU are your targets with your numbers and background.

None of these are national schools with real national placement power and it sounds like $ is not an issue, so you should just go to whichever school is closest to home. Most law schools place regionally, and the ones that you have a realistic shot at are definitely regional in nature. You should figure out where you want to work, and then go to law school there.

Return to “What are my chances?”