3.2 LSAC GPA - T50 schools for IP?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
SciDoc

3.2 LSAC GPA - T50 schools for IP?

Postby SciDoc » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:13 pm

Hi, I have been perusing these boards for some time and all the advice I have read has been tremendously valuable...so I am hoping to get a bit of advice you guys about the schools I should consider.

A bit of background:

Went to a "public ivy" (whatever that means!), basically a UC school. Did quite bad my first two years related to some personal family issues beyond my control. I ended up with around a 2.51GPA. My last two years things got better and I raised my cumulative GPA to a 3.46. Doing the math you can rightly guess that I got mostly A's the last two years in advanced classes. I got my degree in Biochemistry and a second bachelors in Sociology (4.0 GPA). My last 60 credits of college I had a 3.9 GPA and ended up being accepted to one of the Top 10 Bio Ph.D programs in the country. DId quite well there with publications and fellowships etc. etc. During my last year before my thesis defense, I decided that I wanted to pursue a career in IP. I had everything decided, but after extreme pressure from my advisor, peers, colleagues and family members, I ended up accepting a position at Harvard as a postdoc. Not a bad deal if I wanted to pursue a career in industry or academia. I have done quite well here with a first author publication in Cell, fellowships and grants....DESPITE all this, I do not want to be doing this or following an academic path. My heart is set on IP. For the record I don't regret my decision to do a postdoc since it is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I do wish that graduate school departments were more proactive in helping students with career choices/paths - something that was severely lacking at my school.

Anyhow, given all this background, I figure I need to score at least in the mid-160's to even stand a chance at a T50 school. Ideally I would want to be on either coast (Cali, DC, Boston, NY), Chicago or Texas.

I am applying for the 2012-2013 cycle, and taking either the June/October LSAT. Likely to be June, and October if I am not confident.
My diagnostic test I scored a 161 without ever seeing an LSAT before.

My question to you guys is, what schools have a history of overlooking a poor LSAC GPA for a decent LSAT score with some interesting academic history? What schools should I aim for and what schools are certainly out of the question (obviously HYS).

Am I being too optimistic or pessimistic in thinking that I can get into a Tier 1 with my GPA and possibly an LSAT score in the mid 160's?

Thanks in advance!

dood

Re: 3.2 LSAC GPA - T50 schools for IP?

Postby dood » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:13 pm

prolly northwestern for sure

but check lawschoolnumbers to see what schools are friendly to lower GPAs in general.

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:49 am

Yes, you definitely have a shot at tier one schools. Midwestern schools like UIUC and WUSTL should take you (probably with some money) if you hit a 168 on the LSAT. Just go to lawschoolnumbers and notice that on WUSTL's graph there is a green wall at 168.

Other than that if you hit a 172+, the lower t14 opens up for you. With a science phd and 172 an ED app to UVA would be a virtual lock. You would also have a good chance at Georgetown and decent-but-not-great chance at Cornell. EDing to Mich or Penn would also not be completely out of the question.

SciDoc

Postby SciDoc » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:22 pm

Thanks, going to Northwestern would be amazing, WUSTL would be great too. Fordham and GW/GM are also some schools that I would gladly attend if I were to get in. Obviously the only thing I can do to make myself an attractive candidate is kickass on the LSAT - turns out that my LSAC GPA is actually a 3.15 (Trend: 2.5, 2.99. 3.23, 3.87, 3.97) not a 3.2. bleh.

Return to “What are my chances?”