Too late to apply for SLS?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
neuroticjew

Too late to apply for SLS?

Postby neuroticjew » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:40 am

So I am currently planning to attend Chicago, by far the highest-ranked school at which I've been admitted so far. I didn't apply to YHS back when I sent all my apps in (around Halloween) because I figured I had no numerical chance. But just as I'm getting excited to head to Hyde Park, Stanford sends me a huge mailing encouraging me to apply. "No guarantee of admission," of course, but they want my application. My question is: is it worth it to scramble and try to throw together a Stanford application this late in the game? Won't they auto-ding or waitlist any apps sent this late?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Re: Too late to apply for SLS?

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:46 am

neuroticjew wrote:So I am currently planning to attend Chicago, by far the highest-ranked school at which I've been admitted so far. I didn't apply to YHS back when I sent all my apps in (around Halloween) because I figured I had no numerical chance. But just as I'm getting excited to head to Hyde Park, Stanford sends me a huge mailing encouraging me to apply. "No guarantee of admission," of course, but they want my application. My question is: is it worth it to scramble and try to throw together a Stanford application this late in the game? Won't they auto-ding or waitlist any apps sent this late?

Why wouldn't you?

neuroticjew

Postby neuroticjew » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:47 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
neuroticjew wrote:So I am currently planning to attend Chicago, by far the highest-ranked school at which I've been admitted so far. I didn't apply to YHS back when I sent all my apps in (around Halloween) because I figured I had no numerical chance. But just as I'm getting excited to head to Hyde Park, Stanford sends me a huge mailing encouraging me to apply. "No guarantee of admission," of course, but they want my application. My question is: is it worth it to scramble and try to throw together a Stanford application this late in the game? Won't they auto-ding or waitlist any apps sent this late?

Why wouldn't you?

$116 and a lot of pride down the drain when they ding me.

Postby 20130312 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:48 am

According to Law School Numbers, last cycle 3 people who applied today or later were accepted. 19 were waitlisted or rejected.

Worth a shot.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:56 am

I'd take a shot.

Whats the future value of that $116 after 3 yrs and a degree from Stanford?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:59 am

Br3v wrote:I'd take a shot.

Whats the future value of that $116 after 3 yrs and a degree from Stanford?

mmk33

Postby mmk33 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:49 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:According to Law School Numbers, last cycle 3 people who applied today or later were accepted. 19 were waitlisted or rejected.

Worth a shot.

how do you sort by date applied? the reason I ask is applied in the first week of january to duke, uva and I'm wondering how the late date will affect the application.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:59 pm

neuroticjew wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Why wouldn't you?

If this is the kind of thing that bothers you, then you shouldn't apply.

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:32 pm

neuroticjew wrote:

Shut up about your pride, you'll be going to Chicago worst case. 116 bucks isn't anything in the grand scheme of things and you'll be wondering "what if" forever if you don't.

DO IT.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:06 pm

lol I am broke, live in a shitty 58 degree $190 a month apartment, and drive a shitty $700 car and am an auto-reject at Yale, but I applied because a lifetime is a long time to wonder "what if".

wiscohopeful

Postby wiscohopeful » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:58 pm

I'm confused. They sent you a mailing asking for your app (recently as far as I can tell) and you are wondering if it would be a waste to send in this late...after they just told you they wanted your app? Does not compute...

Unless you're thinking they want to pad their application numbers and selectivity % or something

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:00 pm

wiscohopeful wrote:I'm confused. They sent you a mailing asking for your app (recently as far as I can tell) and you are wondering if it would be a waste to send in this late...after they just told you they wanted your app? Does not compute...

Unless you're thinking they want to pad their application numbers and selectivity % or something

I honestly don't think Stanford needs to do that. Not saying it's a guarantee that OP gets in, but a URM with a 4.0 and a 164 has as good at shot as any at SLS.

OP, please apply. You really don't want to wonder for the rest of your life.

Return to “What are my chances?”