Too late to apply for SLS?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
neuroticjew
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:46 pm

Too late to apply for SLS?

Postby neuroticjew » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:40 am

So I am currently planning to attend Chicago, by far the highest-ranked school at which I've been admitted so far. I didn't apply to YHS back when I sent all my apps in (around Halloween) because I figured I had no numerical chance. But just as I'm getting excited to head to Hyde Park, Stanford sends me a huge mailing encouraging me to apply. "No guarantee of admission," of course, but they want my application. My question is: is it worth it to scramble and try to throw together a Stanford application this late in the game? Won't they auto-ding or waitlist any apps sent this late?

FloridaCoastalorbust
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: Too late to apply for SLS?

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:46 am

neuroticjew wrote:So I am currently planning to attend Chicago, by far the highest-ranked school at which I've been admitted so far. I didn't apply to YHS back when I sent all my apps in (around Halloween) because I figured I had no numerical chance. But just as I'm getting excited to head to Hyde Park, Stanford sends me a huge mailing encouraging me to apply. "No guarantee of admission," of course, but they want my application. My question is: is it worth it to scramble and try to throw together a Stanford application this late in the game? Won't they auto-ding or waitlist any apps sent this late?


Why wouldn't you?

neuroticjew
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:46 pm

Re: Too late to apply for SLS?

Postby neuroticjew » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:47 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
neuroticjew wrote:So I am currently planning to attend Chicago, by far the highest-ranked school at which I've been admitted so far. I didn't apply to YHS back when I sent all my apps in (around Halloween) because I figured I had no numerical chance. But just as I'm getting excited to head to Hyde Park, Stanford sends me a huge mailing encouraging me to apply. "No guarantee of admission," of course, but they want my application. My question is: is it worth it to scramble and try to throw together a Stanford application this late in the game? Won't they auto-ding or waitlist any apps sent this late?


Why wouldn't you?


$116 and a lot of pride down the drain when they ding me.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Too late to apply for SLS?

Postby 20130312 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:48 am

According to Law School Numbers, last cycle 3 people who applied today or later were accepted. 19 were waitlisted or rejected.

Worth a shot.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Too late to apply for SLS?

Postby Br3v » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:56 am

I'd take a shot.

Whats the future value of that $116 after 3 yrs and a degree from Stanford?

FloridaCoastalorbust
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: Too late to apply for SLS?

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:59 am

Br3v wrote:I'd take a shot.

Whats the future value of that $116 after 3 yrs and a degree from Stanford?

User avatar
mmk33
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: Too late to apply for SLS?

Postby mmk33 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:49 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:According to Law School Numbers, last cycle 3 people who applied today or later were accepted. 19 were waitlisted or rejected.

Worth a shot.


how do you sort by date applied? the reason I ask is applied in the first week of january to duke, uva and I'm wondering how the late date will affect the application.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Too late to apply for SLS?

Postby bdubs » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:59 pm

neuroticjew wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Why wouldn't you?


$116 and a lot of pride down the drain when they ding me.


If this is the kind of thing that bothers you, then you shouldn't apply.

User avatar
law4vus
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

Re: Too late to apply for SLS?

Postby law4vus » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:32 pm

neuroticjew wrote:
$116 and a lot of pride down the drain when they ding me.


Shut up about your pride, you'll be going to Chicago worst case. 116 bucks isn't anything in the grand scheme of things and you'll be wondering "what if" forever if you don't.

DO IT.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Too late to apply for SLS?

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:06 pm

lol I am broke, live in a shitty 58 degree $190 a month apartment, and drive a shitty $700 car and am an auto-reject at Yale, but I applied because a lifetime is a long time to wonder "what if".

wiscohopeful
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:13 pm

Re: Too late to apply for SLS?

Postby wiscohopeful » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:58 pm

I'm confused. They sent you a mailing asking for your app (recently as far as I can tell) and you are wondering if it would be a waste to send in this late...after they just told you they wanted your app? Does not compute...

Unless you're thinking they want to pad their application numbers and selectivity % or something

User avatar
law4vus
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

Re: Too late to apply for SLS?

Postby law4vus » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:00 pm

wiscohopeful wrote:I'm confused. They sent you a mailing asking for your app (recently as far as I can tell) and you are wondering if it would be a waste to send in this late...after they just told you they wanted your app? Does not compute...

Unless you're thinking they want to pad their application numbers and selectivity % or something


I honestly don't think Stanford needs to do that. Not saying it's a guarantee that OP gets in, but a URM with a 4.0 and a 164 has as good at shot as any at SLS.

OP, please apply. You really don't want to wonder for the rest of your life.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], jjcorvino and 1 guest