2.97 GPA, 161 LSAT.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Username123

2.97 GPA, 161 LSAT.

Postby Username123 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:55 pm

Hey everyone,

2.97 GPA, 161 LSAT, I am a Cuban-American, and attending a nationally-ranked top 30 liberal arts college in the Midwest for Undergrad. Going to apply to law school this upcoming fall.

I am originally from FL and would love to go to law school there. Any thoughts on my chances of getting accepted into UMiami, Florida State, UFlorida, Stetson, Nova Southeastern, FIU, St. Thomas Univ., and Barry Univ.?

More specifically, what are my chances of getting into UF, FSU, and UM? I would much rather go to these schools than the smaller, less prestigious schools in FL.

Btw, this site is awesome.

Any advice would be great! Thank you.

Username123

Re: 2.97 GPA, 161 LSAT.

Postby Username123 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:06 am

What I'm trying to get out of this is can I get into law schools that are ranked at the levels of schools like UF, FSU, and UM?

Its Always Sunny

Postby Its Always Sunny » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:07 pm

Your in at Miami but FSU and UF will require a higher lsat score. I've noticed also that Hispanic applicants don't seem to get as large a boost by Florida schools compared to other schools.

Username123

Postby Username123 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:14 pm

How much higher do you think I would need to score to be admitted to UF and FSU?

And the comment about Hispanics not gaining much advantage makes sense in FL, there's so many of us here! Haha.

Thanks for your input.

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:42 pm

Uschoolqb10 wrote:How much higher do you think I would need to score to be admitted to UF and FSU?

And the comment about Hispanics not gaining much advantage makes sense in FL, there's so many of us here! Haha.

Thanks for your input.

Bump! Interested in responses.

Username123

Postby Username123 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:06 pm

Me too! :)

Username123

Postby Username123 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:30 pm

Anybody have any input or advice to give?

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:24 pm

Where's you residency? If you're not a FL resident, it will be tougher to get into UF. Not to mention you'd be paying sticker. If your not a FL resident, maybe you could get a job there and a year or two of WE- it would boost your chances at FL and get you in-state tuition.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:27 pm

FL is an absolutely horrific legal market. I say this as a Floridian. You can't get into a FL school with a scholarship that would make it worthwhile. Retake or don't go.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:28 pm

Uschoolqb10 wrote:Anybody have any input or advice to give?

Retake the LSAT for a higher score or don't go. The schools you are looking at are either really bad (all the TTTTs), or you won't get enough money to make it worth it. You need scholarships to swing it. Florida is a brutal market, and maybe one of the most oversaturated in the country. It has a very small legal market, yet it has like a dozen schools churning out more and more shitty lawyers. Don't make that mistake yourself.

Or alternative, I vote Nova. Great program in international piracy law.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:29 pm

romothesavior wrote:Or alternative, I vote Nova. Great program in international piracy law.

Barry for international dogbite law bro. Great program.

Username123

Postby Username123 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:49 pm

I'm a resident of FL, but I go to a school in NE Ohio. How much scholarship money do you think I could receive from lower ranked schools like the ones I listed above? Anything near covering the full expense of law school? I don't really know how this stuff works and I realize I have to research it all more.

However, I was also thinking of applying to some schools in the Midwest, and possibly the Northeast. With just below a 3.0 and a 161, what schools do you all recommend checking out? I've checked out LSP and LSN, and I just don't trust it for some reason. The statistical numbers just don't influence me as much as does input from fellow law school hopefuls, students, and grads.

Again, any help is appreciated :)

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:02 pm

Uschoolqb10 wrote:I'm a resident of FL, but I go to a school in NE Ohio. How much scholarship money do you think I could receive from lower ranked schools like the ones I listed above? Anything near covering the full expense of law school? I don't really know how this stuff works and I realize I have to research it all more.

However, I was also thinking of applying to some schools in the Midwest, and possibly the Northeast. With just below a 3.0 and a 161, what schools do you all recommend checking out? I've checked out LSP and LSN, and I just don't trust it for some reason. The statistical numbers just don't influence me as much as does input from fellow law school hopefuls, students, and grads.

I wouldn't trust LSP all that much unless you're a standard non-splitter non-URM candidate, but LSN's charts are very, very good. Law school admissions is a numbers game more than anything else.

I would not advise going to any of the TTTT schools on your list, even with a full ride. Grizz (and probably others) can tell you some stories of people he knows who have done great at these TTTT schools and not gotten a job for no other reason than the degree on their resume. Those schools are a black mark on your record. You'd be wasting your time. I'm sorry to say it, but you need about 6-8 more LSAT points for law school to be a good investment for you. Your GPA and low LSAT is going to keep you from scholarships at decent schools. Even at schools like Florida and FSU, getting a job is difficult for most students.

I know you're just learning about the legal market and the world of law school admissions, so this may all be a little surprising to hear at first. But you cannot underestimate how bad the legal economy is right now. Hiring is awful. Here is some hard data to give you some perspective. The guy who wrote that post is a law professor, and it is based on actual employment data from recent graduates. Your odds of getting a full-time, JD-required, permanent job probably hover around 50%. At TTT schools, I wouldn't be surprised if the number was closer to 10-20%. Going to a school like Barry would likely leave you without a job. Law school is an absolute scam at many schools, and you need to do your research on the market before you dive in. You also are going to need to retake the LSAT.

Good luck.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:27 pm

Uschoolqb10 wrote:I'm a resident of FL, but I go to a school in NE Ohio. How much scholarship money do you think I could receive from lower ranked schools like the ones I listed above? Anything near covering the full expense of law school? I don't really know how this stuff works and I realize I have to research it all more.

I'd retake until you can get into UF or FSU with in-state tuition.

Dr. Filth

Postby Dr. Filth » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:16 pm

Grizz wrote:FL is an absolutely horrific legal market. I say this as a Floridian. You can't get into a FL school with a scholarship that would make it worthwhile. Retake or don't go.

I thought you were a Southerner. wtf is this shit?

Return to “What are my chances?”