oldie but goodie?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Jaks

oldie but goodie?

Postby Jaks » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:48 pm

Just wanted to get any thoughts or insights folks may have about my chances this cycle. I have a disappointing 161 LSAT and a 3.2 college GPA that, it is safe to say, will wow no one. My X factor is that I've been out of college for about 8 years now and have had a reasonably successful career as a journalist and an author in that time. By successful I mean that I write for established magazines and newspapers and I have several books (on politics and public policy) put out by a major publisher. I guess I'm wondering if any of this matters. Will I get any sort of pass on my mediocre academic credentials because I have a record of professional accomplishment, or is it the case that the numbers take primacy over everything else? I'm applying to schools in the NY, LA, and DC markets. My desired destinations are Pepperdine, Brooklyn, Cardozo (where I applied part time), Seton Hall (where my brother is a soon-to-be alumnus), as well as American, and part time at GW and Georgetown. Emory (just love the school) and Fordham part time are my uber reaches. Do I have a shot at any of these? Assessments and observations welcome and many thanks for any one kind enough to read and respond.

mmk33

Re: oldie but goodie?

Postby mmk33 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:08 pm

you may be interested in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=143047&start=75

from what I've gathered work experience and being a little older can help with getting in to some programs (Northwestern), but it is usually just useful in distinguishing you from other candidates with the same numbers. Several users on here report getting more scholarship $$ from being older and having more education/more life success.

Jaks

Postby Jaks » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:22 pm

I will check it out, thank you.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:40 pm

Don't go to law school. Stay at your successful career.

Jaks

Postby Jaks » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:09 pm

Lol, thanks for the tip, but believe me I've thought it through. Law as a profession may be ailing, but there are some professions that are even worse off -- like, say, journalism.

Return to “What are my chances?”