Super low stats--any chance at a good school? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
cassie2012

New

Super low stats--any chance at a good school?

Post by cassie2012 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:57 pm

My GPA is 3.2 and my LSAT is 156. I know, pretty bad. BUT I have some very strong recommendation letters and evaluations. I also have a ton of on campus involvement with extracurriculars, including starting one organization and being on the academic senate. I also have a ton of sob story to write about, I'm a single mom of 2 young kids and started out as a teen mom, I was hospitalized for several months during my sophomore year, etc etc. And I am graduating on time in 4 years with a minor (political science-public administration) and certificate (child maltreatment & family violence). My major is Social Work and I have a lot of volunteer experience, and i've also worked full time through all 4 yrs. I want to work in Family Law/Dependency Court, so I feel that SW is actually a really good foundation. I'm writing an addendum for economically disadvantaged household because I was homeless for several years growing up, and I'm also writing one for the "does your transcript represent you" question, because I have almost all As and Bs, and then a couple classes that bring everything down. Taking into account everything besides GPA and LSAT, do I have a shot in hell at UCLA or USC? (I live in LA and do not want to move) I am still applying no matter what y'all say, but what am I looking at, a 10% chance, 25%...0%? thanks :)

ConfidenceMan2

New

Re: Super low stats--any chance at a good school?

Post by ConfidenceMan2 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:10 pm

URM? Because if so, and you have a PS/DS about growing up with homelessness (or whatever comparably strong aspect of your life you choose to write about), it's going to be extremely difficult to gauge your chances. I'd say factors like that give you a fighting chance, but I really don't know what kind of % to give you. Still significantly less than 50%, as you're basically counting on being "that candidate" who defied all numerical odds.

Last year, according to lawschoolnumbers.com, someone (one person, and AA with reasonable softs) with slightly better numbers than you was waitlisted then accepted at USC, if that gives you hope. Numerically, you have no shot in hell. Even if AA URM, unlikely. If not URM... then 0.1% is probably the best way to think about it. Very unlikely.

kams

New

Post by kams » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:29 pm

Very unlikely unfortunately. You can get into a law school for sure, but it won't be UCLA or USC.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:30 pm

Unfortunately, no.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:54 pm

I'd add that the GPA being 3.2 probably means a decent school is salvageable but you'll need to transform that LSAT score into, preferably, the 170s.

How much effort did you put in to getting your current score. Bear in mind that many here who have scored 170+ have put in many many months of serious daily study to get where they did.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JDProspect

New

Post by JDProspect » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:09 pm

It's worth trying, but bear in mind that chances are slim to none. You never know. Don't forget that there are other schools in LA ie. Southwestern, Loyola, Pepperdine, etc. that would definitely take you and offer scholarship money. Your interest is in Family Law and those schools have strong regional ties, so you should be able to get where you want to go even if you don't go to a top school.

cassie2012

New

Post by cassie2012 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:15 pm

Unfortunately no, not urm :(

And I didn't study very much for the lsat. I bought a ton of books and planned on studying like crazy, but I got so busy and it just didn't happen. My october score was actually 152, ugh. I think I will probably end up going to whittier law school, oh well!! Thanks for the input though :)

cassie2012

New

Post by cassie2012 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:21 pm

So do you think I may actually have a chance at Loyola/Pepperdine?? I actually have both schools on my lsac list, though I haven't done much with the applications yet. That would be too awesome!!!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:21 pm

JDProspect wrote:Southwestern, Loyola, Pepperdine, etc.
cassie2012 wrote:whittier law school

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:25 pm

cassie2012 wrote:Unfortunately no, not urm :(

And I didn't study very much for the lsat. I bought a ton of books and planned on studying like crazy, but I got so busy and it just didn't happen. My october score was actually 152, ugh. I think I will probably end up going to whittier law school, oh well!! Thanks for the input though :)
Getting a 152 makes you dumb. Going to Whittier makes you retarded.

AS33

Bronze

Post by AS33 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:31 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

I've never felt compelled to comment on blatantly rude/mean posts, but this one is, well......just wrong.

cassie2012

New

Post by cassie2012 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:36 pm

I cannot take seriously anyone's opinion who uses "retarded" as an insult. How freaking ignorant are you? SMH!

Brassica7

Bronze

Post by Brassica7 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:38 pm

If you got a 156 without much study, it is probably worth taking the LSAT again. I don't know how much research you have done on law schools, but here is the short version: there are about 2 law grads for every legal job; people at higher ranked schools are much more likely to get a legal job than people at lower schools; LSAT score, more than all other factors combined, determines whether you get into a highly ranked school or not; law school costs a lot (unless you get major scholarships), and people with $100-$200K of debt and no job tend to have their lives destroyed.

Study hard and retake. If you have taken it twice, make sure that you are well prepared before using your final testing. Look carefully at the employment information from a school like Whittier, and consider how much debt you will be in.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

catwomangirl

Bronze

Post by catwomangirl » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:45 pm

Brassica7 wrote:If you got a 156 without much study, it is probably worth taking the LSAT again. I don't know how much research you have done on law schools, but here is the short version: there are about 2 law grads for every legal job; people at higher ranked schools are much more likely to get a legal job than people at lower schools; LSAT score, more than all other factors combined, determines whether you get into a highly ranked school or not; law school costs a lot (unless you get major scholarships), and people with $100-$200K of debt and no job tend to have their lives destroyed.

Study hard and retake. If you have taken it twice, make sure that you are well prepared before using your final testing. Look carefully at the employment information from a school like Whittier, and consider how much debt you will be in.

This. I had a 152 my first practice lsat with no studying, and wound up with a 17X score on the real thing. You definitely have the potential for a higher score (and the scholarships and acceptances that come along with it).

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:47 pm

cassie2012 wrote:I cannot take seriously anyone's opinion who uses "retarded" as an insult. How freaking ignorant are you? SMH!
I won't let a Whittier hopeful talk to me that way. Apologize.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:49 pm

AS33 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I've never felt compelled to comment on blatantly rude/mean posts, but this one is, well......just wrong.
It's impolite and possibly offensive, but not incorrect.

AS33

Bronze

Post by AS33 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:53 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
AS33 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Did not mean "wrong" in the sense that you are thinking.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:59 pm

AS33 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
AS33 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Getting a 152 makes you dumb. Going to Whittier makes you retarded.
Did not mean "wrong" in the sense that you are thinking.
I know which sense you meant. I was clarifying for OP, who seems to think that mean words means that the opinion expressed is faulty.

hookem12

Bronze

Post by hookem12 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:03 pm

Definitely give Loyola a shot, I don't know all that much about it, but if you're set on law school in the LA area, it's a good option if UCLA/USC are reaches. If you do well (as in top 10-15%) and make connections, I doubt you'd be at a huge disadvantage compared to other grads. Best of luck!!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:19 pm

hookem12 wrote:Definitely give Loyola a shot, I don't know all that much about it, but if you're set on law school in the LA area, it's a good option if UCLA/USC are reaches. If you do well (as in top 10-15%) and make connections, I doubt you'd be at a huge disadvantage compared to other grads. Best of luck!!
Even if you get in, not worth going to, unless you have the stomach to drop out if you didn't do super well, which most don't have the stomach to do.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:51 am

Any school that would take you is not worth going to. Don't mean to be rude, but it is the truth. They will all have atrocious job prospects. Unless spending six figures to become a paralegal, doc reviewer, or barista at Starbucks is your dream, in which case I say knock yourself out.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

richalvarez

New

Post by richalvarez » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:25 pm

What if one wants to get into private practice, would you guys recommend going to the most cost effective school regardless of rank? I want to practice in San Diego and I'm between Cal Western and USD, and I'm thinking Cal Western with nice scholarship would be best. I don't have any acceptances yet, just going on LSN statistics.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:30 pm

The only option if you are serious about LS is to study for the LSAT and retake. Plenty of people on this forum have scored in the 150's cold and improved their score dramtically.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:55 pm

richalvarez wrote:What if one wants to get into private practice, would you guys recommend going to the most cost effective school regardless of rank? I want to practice in San Diego and I'm between Cal Western and USD, and I'm thinking Cal Western with nice scholarship would be best. I don't have any acceptances yet, just going on LSN statistics.
Do you mean solo practice? That's not really feasible straight out of law school, so you'd still need to be competitive (good grades/good school/good personality) to get your first job before starting your own practice.

I considered a full scholarship at a lower ranked school, but I would've still had to take out COL loans. 60k is still a lot to borrow.

cassie2012

New

Post by cassie2012 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:40 pm

Thank you to those of you who offered me genuine advice, I do appreciate it :)

I honestly am not *that* worried about finding a job no matter what school I go to because I want to work in Dependency Court, which pays much less than most other areas of law and is not a really highly desired job by most law school grads. (yes, I have done my research and I am talking about *my* area) I also have a lot of connections to the foster system and the judges in that court already because of my Social Work internship, actually the presiding judge for the LA Dependency Court has been somewhat "mentoring" me for the past couple months and he is one of my letters of recommendation. But if I really can't find a job then I will just fall back on my Social Work degree and try to get back into Law later. I'd be in debt anyway if I went for my Master's in Social Work, which was my original plan until I changed my mind to Law. Everyone is in debt, it's like a fact of life nowdays so ohh well! As long as I pass the bar the first time a JD is a JD and the school just doesn't matter as much in this arena as in other areas of Law.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”