3.7 GPA / 149 LSAT - Chances or advice?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
teucer713

3.7 GPA / 149 LSAT - Chances or advice?

Postby teucer713 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:51 am

Before I say anything, I realize that I've got a low LSAT--a 149 on the December test. I've registered to take it again in February, because I think that 4 to 5 points could go a long way.

Some schools I'm considering:
University of Kansas
University of North Carolina
Wake Forest

Some other possible things to consider:
-NYU undergrad - philosophy major
-good recs
-lots of campus involvement in clubs and orgs

Will a 155 on the February exam give me a more realistic shot at these schools or similar ones? Or would I be better off just submitting my apps at this point in the cycle?

Any positive advice would be much appreciated.

sparty99

Re: 3.7 GPA / 149 LSAT - Chances or advice?

Postby sparty99 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:36 am

You will need a 155 to be competitive. If you are a minority, you still would probably get rejected from these schools unless you had a masters or prior work experience.

Do not apply with a 3.7/149....

dkb17xzx

Postby dkb17xzx » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:29 am

I would suggest taking the LSAT in June. You have a good GPA. If you can bring up your score 10-15 points, you are set. I second the advice above - do not apply with a 3.7/149

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:59 pm

If you haven't applied yet, your chances for admission in most areas are slim.

I think you should apply to the schools you want to go to, and if you do not get in/get much money from those schools, I would suggest studying really hard for the June LSAT and trying to apply again next Fall (possibly much earlier)

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:07 am

If you were an NYU (a pretty good indicator of above average intelligence) undergrad in philosophy (a pretty helpful major for the LSAT), I sincerely believe that you will be able to score into the 160's.

gaud

Postby gaud » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:10 am

bernaldiaz wrote:If you were an NYU (a pretty good indicator of above average intelligence) undergrad in philosophy (a pretty helpful major for the LSAT), I sincerely believe that you will be able to score into the 160's.

Yea, totally agree. OP, take some time off to retake the LSAT. It is VERY possible to improve your score and TLS is a great place to find the help you will need. Check out Pithypike's guide, use 3link's spreadsheet, and ask questions when you have them and BOOM --> success.

A greater LSAT score can seriously change your life (same schools with full-rides and opportunity to attend much higher ranked schools)

nsbane

Postby nsbane » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:13 am

The advice you probably don't want to hear: Study the LSAT for A YEAR. Go to a prep course like Testmasters, it will cost maybe $3,000. Take 50 prep tests. Take the LSAT again next year.

If on the other hand you apply to a school with an LSAT score in the 150s:

1) Apply to a school where you want to live. Lower ranked schools will only get you employment in the area. You went to undergrad in NY. Do you really want to live in Kansas?

2) Look at a calculator to know your chances: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/

3) Your GPA and your LSAT are the only important things in your application. Everybody who applies has a "good recommendation." Your recommendation is irrelevant unless perhaps the recommender's last name is Obama. You were in lots of clubs. So was everyone else in college. And the name of your undergrad is irrelevant. Having former NYU undergrads does not boost a law school's USNR ranking. No one cares. All you are left with is your GPA and LSAT. The calculator will tell you everything.

nelaw2010

Postby nelaw2010 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:19 am

Wait!!! Take a year off, maybe 2.

Why waste that amazing GPA? You're obviously smart (3.7 in philosophy at NYU is amazing).

What I can't understand is how the LSAT was so tough for you. Philosophy is based on logic, and the LSAT is technically a moderately difficult logic test (as I have been told by friends who were philosophy majors and found the LSAT to be "easy").

You would be crazy to waste that GPA. Just take a year and study daily. You will begin to understand why you are scoring low, and what you need to do to improve your grade.

teucer713

Postby teucer713 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:10 am

Thanks to everyone for the helpful comments. I've decided to take the year off, work on the LSAT, and add a job to the resume.

nelaw2010 wrote:

What I can't understand is how the LSAT was so tough for you. Philosophy is based on logic, and the LSAT is technically a moderately difficult logic test (as I have been told by friends who were philosophy majors and found the LSAT to be "easy").

You would be crazy to waste that GPA. Just take a year and study daily. You will begin to understand why you are scoring low, and what you need to do to improve your grade.

Yeah, my score is particularly frustrating because I find most of the logic and reasoning to be easy. My problem is time. I suppose there could be worse problems. Anyways, I appreciate the encouragement.

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:50 pm

I think you made a good decision.

While Philosophy is based on logic, the LSAT has its own logic, which doesn't exactly fit in with the rest of the world's logic.

But if timing is your only issue (it was my problem too) then I think you'll be in good shape next cycle. Good luck!

teucer713 wrote:Thanks to everyone for the helpful comments. I've decided to take the year off, work on the LSAT, and add a job to the resume.

nelaw2010 wrote:

Yeah, my score is particularly frustrating because I find most of the logic and reasoning to be easy. My problem is time. I suppose there could be worse problems. Anyways, I appreciate the encouragement.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:02 am

teucer713 wrote:Thanks to everyone for the helpful comments. I've decided to take the year off, work on the LSAT, and add a job to the resume.

Best decision you could possibly have made in this situation. Going to any of the law schools you listed would have been a disaster. If you work and decide you still want to go to law school, then study your ass off and get a good enough LSAT to make the investment worth it.

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:21 pm

I wish more people were as smart as you. Seriously. So many fools here think that going to a bad school will be just fine because they are a special snowflake.

I commend you on making the right decision. Good luck on your retake!

T1hopeful

Postby T1hopeful » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:30 pm

law4vus wrote:

I wish more people were as smart as you. Seriously. So many fools here think that going to a bad school will be just fine because they are a special snowflake.

I agree OP should retake, but what should be the standard for being considered a bad school? From what I've seen on TLS, it could be anything from outside YHS, CCN, t14, t30, or tier 1.

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:32 pm

T1hopeful wrote:
law4vus wrote:

I agree OP should retake, but what should be the standard for being considered a bad school? From what I've seen on TLS, it could be anything from outside YHS, CCN, t14, t30, or tier 1.

A school that will take a 149 LSAT is always, always a bad school.

If you ask me, anything outside of the T14 that isn't a strong regional school is a bad idea. Yes, that includes the school I currently go to, since its overpriced, not T14 and in one of the most competitive legal markets.

Return to “What are my chances?”