Is my school list good (AA MALE URM) any safeties to add???

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mcdeeremitch

Is my school list good (AA MALE URM) any safeties to add???

Postby mcdeeremitch » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:36 pm

Looking for advice on if my school is good or if i should add some more schools/safeties
GOAL after law school is East coast biglaw (NYC, DC, or Boston) IF THAT HELPS
Some of them are reaches and/or EXTREME reaches but all had fee waivers so i threw my hat in the ring
Numbers: 154/3.2 URM

Georgetown (ED)
Fordham
Notre Dame
Howard
UCLA
WUSTL
BU
BC
Washington and Lee
Last edited by mcdeeremitch on Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PBJones

Re: Is my school list good (AA MALE URM)??

Postby PBJones » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:39 pm

I wouldn't waste the application time for GULC; their 25th percentile LSAT is 168, which you are 14 points below. Some AA males get into GULC in the high 150's, but they typically have killer GPAs to compensate.

Here is some tough love: Retake if you want to go to a law school that's worth going to.
Last edited by PBJones on Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:42 pm

16 bucks wasnt that much at all

and i got the tough love speech already (im planning to retake if my cylce doesnt go the way i wanted ) right now im in good shape for howard and would go there definately if accepted

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:43 pm

even as a URM id guess you are rejected at all except possibly Howard.. retake

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:48 pm

I understand my chances aren't that good at most of the schools listed...i just wanted some advice on any more schools to throw an app to

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:48 pm

I know this is an unoriginal and annoying response, but it applies to this situation: thought about a retake?

You are severely limiting your options with that score. A 160+ will do wonders for you. Last year there was an AA male with a similar GPA and a low 160s LSAT score who got into multiple T10s. He did go to an IVY for undergrad, but still. I believe he was straight through UG.

Just retake man.
Last edited by yngblkgifted on Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:51 pm

ive heard about retake..ive thought about retake...retake is an option..but it is does not apply to the question

irish1485

Postby irish1485 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:54 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:ive heard about retake..ive thought about retake...retake is an option..but it is does not apply to the question

I'm sure the answer is that your more than likely out or WL at all of these schools except Howard U... like the above poster said and imho I think a 160 would help you out a lot sir

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:56 pm

like i said i undertand but this is not a what are my chances thread

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:59 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:ive heard about retake..ive thought about retake...retake is an option..but it is does not apply to the question

Since BIGLAW is your end goal, it is very important that you go to the highest rank school you can get into so that you put yourself in the best situation to get the job you want after graduation. It is certainly possible that can get BIGLAW from some of the lower ranked school you mentioned, however, it will be harder than if you went to a higher ranked school. If you have maxed out on the LSAT, then I can understand and you've got to deal with the cards you've been dealt. However, there is no proof that this is the case here. Additionally, it seems like you may have trouble getting into many of those schools you've mentioned and it also seems like there won't be that much scholarship money involved. The AA male boost is real and in order to see it's advantages, you've got to get into the 160s. You are so close that it is very hard to believe that with the right amount of prep you couldn't be there. That's why you are seeing so many 'retake responses.' I know it's annoying but people are really just looking out for your best interest considering your goals.

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:05 pm

yngblkgifted- i perfectly understand what you are saying im sorry if i come like a jackass with all my ive already considered it posts but the facts are that I undertstand 100 percent about retake..im not retaking in feb. as i have not prepped at all since december a retake in june is very possible im not ruling that out at all..i would just rather not take a year off unless absolutely neccessary so i submitted multiple apps this cycle to see where i woul land...given that i just wanted to know if anybody had any advice on more schools to add

again sorry if i come off rude or anything...and i appreciate all the advice from everyone that has commented

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:16 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:yngblkgifted- i perfectly understand what you are saying im sorry if i come like a jackass with all my ive already considered it posts but the facts are that I undertstand 100 percent about retake..im not retaking in feb. as i have not prepped at all since december a retake in june is very possible im not ruling that out at all..i would just rather not take a year off unless absolutely neccessary so i submitted multiple apps this cycle to see where i woul land...given that i just wanted to know if anybody had any advice on more schools to add

again sorry if i come off rude or anything...and i appreciate all the advice from everyone that has commented

No problem man. Best of luck this cycle and beyond!

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:06 pm

Bump for any more ideas

lobolawyer

Postby lobolawyer » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:10 pm

You'll probably get into 1/3 of the schools on your list. If you really want BIGlaw then retake or go to Howard and kill it.

soitgoes9

Postby soitgoes9 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:12 pm

Where do you want to work?

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:28 pm

East coast (NYC, dc, or boston

soitgoes9

Postby soitgoes9 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:27 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:East coast (NYC, dc, or boston

B/c those markets don't have strong regional schools, I think that your best option is a retake, I know it's not a fun option but for places that give you a good shot in those markets that is the best thing to do.

Its a bit of a gamble but you could try Howard and kick ass. Howard is a good school with good placement but its still a bit of gamble.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:02 pm

soitgoes9 wrote:

B/c those markets don't have strong regional schools, I think that your best option is a retake, I know it's not a fun option but for places that give you a good shot in those markets that is the best thing to do.

Its a bit of a gamble but you could try Howard and kick ass. Howard is a good school with good placement but its still a bit of gamble.

Boston doesn't have good regional schools? I actually think it's one of the best markets for regional schools.

soitgoes9

Postby soitgoes9 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:24 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
soitgoes9 wrote:

Boston doesn't have good regional schools? I actually think it's one of the best markets for regional schools.

Yes but the OP is not a sure thing at BU BC with that lsat.
* URM cycles are hard to predict and if he gets one or both with some $ I would recomend taking it. However retake and $$$ at BU or BC would be a better option IMO.

mcdeeremitch

Re: Is my school list good (AA MALE URM) any safeties to add???

Postby mcdeeremitch » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:30 am

Why in the world did this thread get moved to what are my chances when I clearly state in it that I'm not asking for chances just advice n any schools to add

Postby 23402385985 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:23 am

Add Temple as a safety, maybe. I figure you're probably in there and the school obviously does well in the Philly market.

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:07 pm

Retake. To get into big law at the schools that will currently accept you, you'd have to finish in the upper, upper echelon of your class. There's a decent chance that won't happen; it's just how law school is. Retake, and have fun at a T14.

hookem12

Postby hookem12 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:09 pm

Agree with retake or do well at Howard.
BUT what about adding American and George Mason to your list?

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:08 pm

Michigan State keeps bombarding with emails and pacakages about applying and offering almost full scholarships...should i just send them an app...i really have no desire to go there mainly because of its low ranking and no desire to live in michigan except for Ann Arbor...i guess i could use the scholarship package in negotiations....any advice?

PersuasiveCharm

Postby PersuasiveCharm » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:44 pm

You'd get American, George Mason, Washington And Lee, Howard (obviously), Temple, University of Maryland, Rutgers. Well if you are applying late in the game I'm not sure. But if you would have sent in apps before Christmas.. I'm sure they would take you.

Return to “What are my chances?”