Odds of T-14?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
brooke.of.berk
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:36 pm

Odds of T-14?

Postby brooke.of.berk » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:41 pm

Hi all,

My LSAC UGPA was a 3.90, LSAT score was 166.

I graduated from UC Berkeley in 3 years, am gay (diversity points?) and have done a fair amount of LGBT rights activism. Working against me is the fact that I'm applying a bit late in the game (I've already sent out 4 applications but I'm still adding more).

Any idea on my chances of getting into Harvard/Columbia/Penn?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Brooke

User avatar
johansantana21
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: Odds of T-14?

Postby johansantana21 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:48 pm

Harvard - Reject
Columbia - Waitlist/Reject
Penn - Waitlist, maybe ED can get you in.

UVA would be good with an ED. Other than that maybe Berkeley because they care about softs etc.

If you don't ED your chances aren't good at any T14.

Retaking would change a lot.

User avatar
law4vus
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

Re: Odds of T-14?

Postby law4vus » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:49 pm

You have an okay shot at a T14, but probably not any of the ones you mentioned. Look at the lower T14, but since you are applying late you may have to ride some waitlists for a while.

Generally, being gay doesn't give much of a boost except for maybe being able to write a nice diversity statement. In the end, your numbers will determine where you get in and while you have decent numbers, the late applications and low-ish LSAT score will probably hold you back.

If you have the time, the best thing would be to sit out a cycle, take the LSAT again in June (can't hurt with the 166 already in hand) and apply on the first day apps come out next cycle.

User avatar
brooke.of.berk
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:36 pm

Re: Odds of T-14?

Postby brooke.of.berk » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:51 pm

Thanks! That's about what I figured. I'm applying for Fall 2012 so I can't do ED (that's what I mean by I'm applying a little late). I'm definitely not pinning my hopes on a T-14: I've applied to Hastings, Northeastern, Temple, Cardozo and a few others that I feel I have a pretty good shot at.

I may sit out a cycle depending on where I do or don't get in for fall. :)

User avatar
QuincyWagstaff
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:28 pm

Re: Odds of T-14?

Postby QuincyWagstaff » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:55 pm

brooke.of.berk wrote:Thanks! That's about what I figured. I'm applying for Fall 2012 so I can't do ED (that's what I mean by I'm applying a little late). I'm definitely not pinning my hopes on a T-14: I've applied to Hastings, Northeastern, Temple, Cardozo and a few others that I feel I have a pretty good shot at.

I may sit out a cycle depending on where I do or don't get in for fall. :)


You have a shot at the lower T14. Don't waste your GPA on those schools.

User avatar
moneybagsphd
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: Odds of T-14?

Postby moneybagsphd » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:58 pm

brooke.of.berk wrote:Hi all,

My LSAC UGPA was a 3.90, LSAT score was 166.

I graduated from UC Berkeley in 3 years, am gay (diversity points?) and have done a fair amount of LGBT rights activism. Working against me is the fact that I'm applying a bit late in the game (I've already sent out 4 applications but I'm still adding more).

Any idea on my chances of getting into Harvard/Columbia/Penn?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Brooke

Obligatory: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/
Harvard: Auto-Reject
Columbia: Auto-Reject
Penn: Reject
I think you're pretty much shut out of the T14 unless you retake. Your score is just below a crucial threshold. With a 168 you'd probably break T14. Berkeley app is definitely worth the $$, though. If you want to stay in CA, apply to UCLA and USC. You're LSAT score is just below USC's median but your GPA should compensate.

User avatar
moneybagsphd
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: Odds of T-14?

Postby moneybagsphd » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:01 pm

QuincyWagstaff wrote:
brooke.of.berk wrote:Thanks! That's about what I figured. I'm applying for Fall 2012 so I can't do ED (that's what I mean by I'm applying a little late). I'm definitely not pinning my hopes on a T-14: I've applied to Hastings, Northeastern, Temple, Cardozo and a few others that I feel I have a pretty good shot at.

I may sit out a cycle depending on where I do or don't get in for fall. :)


You have a shot at the lower T14. Don't waste your GPA on those schools.

+1

User avatar
law4vus
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

Re: Odds of T-14?

Postby law4vus » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:05 pm

brooke.of.berk wrote:Thanks! That's about what I figured. I'm applying for Fall 2012 so I can't do ED (that's what I mean by I'm applying a little late). I'm definitely not pinning my hopes on a T-14: I've applied to Hastings, Northeastern, Temple, Cardozo and a few others that I feel I have a pretty good shot at.

I may sit out a cycle depending on where I do or don't get in for fall. :)


I'm going to second the notion of not wasting your GPA on any of those other schools. If you don't get into a T14 this cycle, sit out. You can retake the LSAT in June without much pressure because worst case, the 166 will probably get you into a T14 anyway if you apply early next cycle. A 170 would pretty much put you in everywhere from 7-14, possibly with money.

Because you're applying so late, I'd say wait it out ESPECIALLY if you're coming straight from undergrad. A retake + a year of work experience will help you infinitely more during OCI than trying to waitlist into a T14 at sticker.

User avatar
brooke.of.berk
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:36 pm

Re: Odds of T-14?

Postby brooke.of.berk » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:09 pm

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

I may as well add that I'm also applying to Minnesota and Boston College. What do you suspect are my odds of admission there?

If at ALL possible I want to avoid sitting out another cycle; I've already been out of school since May and it's my personal preference to go straight into law school if I can.

Most of the schools that are below my LSAT/GPA range I'm hoping to get a solid scholarship from.

User avatar
law4vus
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

Re: Odds of T-14?

Postby law4vus » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:27 pm

brooke.of.berk wrote:Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

I may as well add that I'm also applying to Minnesota and Boston College. What do you suspect are my odds of admission there?

If at ALL possible I want to avoid sitting out another cycle; I've already been out of school since May and it's my personal preference to go straight into law school if I can.

Most of the schools that are below my LSAT/GPA range I'm hoping to get a solid scholarship from.


You'll probably get into to both Minnesota and BC, but to go there is going to be selling yourself short. Going there will solely be a function of the fact that you applied late, which is no reason to settle on a law school.

Given the climate of the legal market, sitting out a year and getting a job while increasing your T14 prospects with a retake is going to enhance your legal career the most. I understand the feeling of not wanting to sit out, but I promise you that one extra year of doing that is going to make the rest of your career even better.

User avatar
johansantana21
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: Odds of T-14?

Postby johansantana21 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:31 pm

law4vus wrote:
brooke.of.berk wrote:Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

I may as well add that I'm also applying to Minnesota and Boston College. What do you suspect are my odds of admission there?

If at ALL possible I want to avoid sitting out another cycle; I've already been out of school since May and it's my personal preference to go straight into law school if I can.

Most of the schools that are below my LSAT/GPA range I'm hoping to get a solid scholarship from.


You'll probably get into to both Minnesota and BC, but to go there is going to be selling yourself short. Going there will solely be a function of the fact that you applied late, which is no reason to settle on a law school.

Given the climate of the legal market, sitting out a year and getting a job while increasing your T14 prospects with a retake is going to enhance your legal career the most. I understand the feeling of not wanting to sit out, but I promise you that one extra year of doing that is going to make the rest of your career even better.


Not really, his LSAT is a 166 which is well below median for EVERY t14.

User avatar
law4vus
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

Re: Odds of T-14?

Postby law4vus » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:34 pm

johansantana21 wrote:
law4vus wrote:
brooke.of.berk wrote:Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

I may as well add that I'm also applying to Minnesota and Boston College. What do you suspect are my odds of admission there?

If at ALL possible I want to avoid sitting out another cycle; I've already been out of school since May and it's my personal preference to go straight into law school if I can.

Most of the schools that are below my LSAT/GPA range I'm hoping to get a solid scholarship from.


You'll probably get into to both Minnesota and BC, but to go there is going to be selling yourself short. Going there will solely be a function of the fact that you applied late, which is no reason to settle on a law school.

Given the climate of the legal market, sitting out a year and getting a job while increasing your T14 prospects with a retake is going to enhance your legal career the most. I understand the feeling of not wanting to sit out, but I promise you that one extra year of doing that is going to make the rest of your career even better.


Not really, his LSAT is a 166 which is well below median for EVERY t14.


While this is true, many people who have ED at UVA with lower LSATs have gotten in with 3.9+ GPAs. I think somewhere in the lower T14 would bite, especially NW with a year of work experience.

That being said, you're right that it isn't a given for a T14 and especially not this late in the cycle. Retaking is the best option.

Also - unrelated, I love your avatar. A lot.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Odds of T-14?

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:22 am

I believe ED Penn would work. Obviously too late for this cycle. Retake and reapply. Don't settle for less (unless you have a good reason to).




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest