171 3.0 Solid Softs

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
kwroche
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:37 pm

171 3.0 Solid Softs

Postby kwroche » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:56 pm

Hi Board.

I've been reading up information on these boards for a while. Wanted to get the opinion of this board on what my chances are for law school with the following resume and also wanted to ask a few other questions:

- 171 LSAT
- 3.0 GPA in Chemical Engineering with a double Minor
- President of the school of Chemical Engineering's student body my senior year
- 2 years of WE in top consulting firm with early promotion
- Co-Founder of residential real estate firm (Licensed managing real estate broker)
- CEO of a tech start up that raised a 50k angel investment and incubation before failing to secure second round funding
- 25 years old

With that, what would be my chances at a T-14 for 2012-2013 application? Also, I just took the December LSATs, and am wondering if it would be worth it to try and raise my score to the 174-176 range (where I was testing.) I know I can do better because I missed four questions on the Games section due to a missed bubble on the scantron. That was a tough one to swallow haha!

Also, even though applications are a solid 6 months away, I am wondering how best to approach my low GPA. I received a full academic scholarship to undergrad, but struggled my Sophomore and Junior year caused by extreme insomnia. After graduation, I was diagnosed with ADHD, which was the cause of my insomnia.

Any insight to my chances and what I should do from an application standpoint are much appreciated!

User avatar
swtlilsoni
Posts: 399
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:00 am

Re: 171 3.0 Solid Softs

Postby swtlilsoni » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:20 pm

kwroche wrote:Hi Board.

I've been reading up information on these boards for a while. Wanted to get the opinion of this board on what my chances are for law school with the following resume and also wanted to ask a few other questions:

- 171 LSAT
- 3.0 GPA in Chemical Engineering with a double Minor
- President of the school of Chemical Engineering's student body my senior year
- 2 years of WE in top consulting firm with early promotion
- Co-Founder of residential real estate firm (Licensed managing real estate broker)
- CEO of a tech start up that raised a 50k angel investment and incubation before failing to secure second round funding
- 25 years old

With that, what would be my chances at a T-14 for 2012-2013 application? Also, I just took the December LSATs, and am wondering if it would be worth it to try and raise my score to the 174-176 range (where I was testing.) I know I can do better because I missed four questions on the Games section due to a missed bubble on the scantron. That was a tough one to swallow haha!

Also, even though applications are a solid 6 months away, I am wondering how best to approach my low GPA. I received a full academic scholarship to undergrad, but struggled my Sophomore and Junior year caused by extreme insomnia. After graduation, I was diagnosed with ADHD, which was the cause of my insomnia.

Any insight to my chances and what I should do from an application standpoint are much appreciated!
Last edited by swtlilsoni on Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kwroche
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:37 pm

Re: 171 3.0 Solid Softs

Postby kwroche » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:23 pm

Thank you swt. Any chance of getting into T14 without retake?

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: 171 3.0 Solid Softs

Postby Nelson » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:26 pm

kwroche wrote:Thank you swt. Any chance of getting into T14 without retake?

You're a lock at Northwestern with that work experience. Michigan and GULC are the other T14 possibilities. I don't know that retaking would help you all that much with that GPA since you're below a lot of floors but a resident splitter might be able to tell you more.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 171 3.0 Solid Softs

Postby Grizz » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:27 pm

Having a failed startup is a good soft?

User avatar
chem
Posts: 867
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: 171 3.0 Solid Softs

Postby chem » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:31 pm

Enjoy Northwestern

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: 171 3.0 Solid Softs

Postby Samara » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:36 pm

Grizz wrote:Having a failed startup is a good soft?

Yes. Running a failed startup is actually really good experience. Failing is viewed a lot more positively in the world of entrepreneurship.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: 171 3.0 Solid Softs

Postby Samara » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:43 pm

Nelson wrote:
kwroche wrote:Thank you swt. Any chance of getting into T14 without retake?

You're a lock at Northwestern with that work experience. Michigan and GULC are the other T14 possibilities. I don't know that retaking would help you all that much with that GPA since you're below a lot of floors but a resident splitter might be able to tell you more.

Agreed, NU is a virtual lock. You would probably get GULC, though it might be off the waitlist. An ED to UVA might get you in there. Cornell and Michigan are also possibilities, as is Penn to a lesser extent.

Are you applying next cycle? If so, your chances at UVA via ED are a lot higher if you apply right away. I probably wouldn't bother with a retake though. What was your PT avg? Either way, a retake is likely to have a negligible impact as you are above the median for any T14 schools that will take your GPA.

You have a lot of things going for you, so you would have a good shot at the T14, great shot at NU, especially if you are applying early on next cycle.

If you want more info for splitters, check this out: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=162680

taxguy
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: 171 3.0 Solid Softs

Postby taxguy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:49 pm

Sorry, I wouldn't say you are a lock at Northwestern. I also don't think you will get into either Cornell or Michigan; however, you still should apply to some of these top schools. Maybe they will value your work experience heavily. You are a lock at Fordham, Boston University, George Washington, Illinois, Notre Dame, Washington University St. Louis, Alabama and many others.

kwroche
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:37 pm

Re: 171 3.0 Solid Softs

Postby kwroche » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:54 pm

So from what I hear I have a pretty good shot at Northwestern? What about schools like Georgetown, Cornell, NYU, Michigan and Virginia (reason I ask about Virginia is I received a fee waiver from them).

And Grizz, if you are curious, the start up failed to secure second round funding because another company out of the Valley beat us to market, and was able to secure a very large investment round which killed the excitement behind our company / idea.

And I am curious why some of the responses say that I have such a good shot at Northwestern in particular, even with such a low GPA. I know that they weight WE more than any other law school in the T14, but is their any real evidence that shows they take candidates similar to me with any sort of regular frequency.

Thanks again!

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: 171 3.0 Solid Softs

Postby Samara » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:56 pm

taxguy wrote:Sorry, I wouldn't say you are a lock at Northwestern. I also don't think you will get into either Cornell or Michigan; however, you still should apply to some of these top schools. Maybe they will value your work experience heavily. You are a lock at Fordham, Boston University, George Washington, Illinois, Notre Dame, Washington University St. Louis, Alabama and many others.

lolno With WE that solid, OP has a very solid chance at NU. Last cycle, everyone in his numbers area got in.

As for your list, you are wrong on a couple counts. Fordham is a decent shot, but likely WL. BU is definite WL. GW, UIUC, ND, WUSTL, and Alabama are in, but UIUC and Alabama shouldn't be considered unless OP 100% wants to work in Alabama or Illinois (outside of the Chicago market).

User avatar
chem
Posts: 867
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: 171 3.0 Solid Softs

Postby chem » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:57 pm

kwroche wrote:So from what I hear I have a pretty good shot at Northwestern? What about schools like Georgetown, Cornell, NYU, Michigan and Virginia (reason I ask about Virginia is I received a fee waiver from them).

And Grizz, if you are curious, the start up failed to secure second round funding because another company out of the Valley beat us to market, and was able to secure a very large investment round which killed the excitement behind our company / idea.

And I am curious why some of the responses say that I have such a good shot at Northwestern in particular, even with such a low GPA. I know that they weight WE more than any other law school in the T14, but is their any real evidence that shows they take candidates similar to me with any sort of regular frequency.

Thanks again!


I know more than 90% have more than a year of WE, and more than 60% have more than 2 years WE. Their medians are lightly lower than their ranking

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 171 3.0 Solid Softs

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:58 pm

taxguy wrote:Sorry, I wouldn't say you are a lock at Northwestern. I also don't think you will get into either Cornell or Michigan; however, you still should apply to some of these top schools. Maybe they will value your work experience heavily. You are a lock at Fordham, Boston University, George Washington, Illinois, Notre Dame, Washington University St. Louis, Alabama and many others.


In the past Michigan has taken some really low splitters with an engineering background. Definitely worth a look but it's low probability.

Northwestern isn't a lock but there is a decent chance. It'll likely depend on how strong the overall applicant class is. A light year like the past two years, and he's most likely in. One like the one in Class of 2013, and it might get dicey. I'd apply early decision (they'll hold you but then accept). That seems to still work.

Georgetown is fair chance too.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 171 3.0 Solid Softs

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:59 pm

chem wrote:
kwroche wrote:So from what I hear I have a pretty good shot at Northwestern? What about schools like Georgetown, Cornell, NYU, Michigan and Virginia (reason I ask about Virginia is I received a fee waiver from them).

And Grizz, if you are curious, the start up failed to secure second round funding because another company out of the Valley beat us to market, and was able to secure a very large investment round which killed the excitement behind our company / idea.

And I am curious why some of the responses say that I have such a good shot at Northwestern in particular, even with such a low GPA. I know that they weight WE more than any other law school in the T14, but is their any real evidence that shows they take candidates similar to me with any sort of regular frequency.

Thanks again!


I know more than 90% have more than a year of WE, and more than 60% have more than 2 years WE. Their medians are lightly lower than their ranking


Northwestern has higher medians than it's ranking because it takes splitters. Which is why splitters do so well there. They need them to keep their medians so high.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: 171 3.0 Solid Softs

Postby Samara » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:00 pm

chem wrote:
kwroche wrote:So from what I hear I have a pretty good shot at Northwestern? What about schools like Georgetown, Cornell, NYU, Michigan and Virginia (reason I ask about Virginia is I received a fee waiver from them).

And Grizz, if you are curious, the start up failed to secure second round funding because another company out of the Valley beat us to market, and was able to secure a very large investment round which killed the excitement behind our company / idea.

And I am curious why some of the responses say that I have such a good shot at Northwestern in particular, even with such a low GPA. I know that they weight WE more than any other law school in the T14, but is their any real evidence that shows they take candidates similar to me with any sort of regular frequency.

Thanks again!


I know more than 90% have more than a year of WE, and more than 60% have more than 2 years WE. Their medians are lightly lower than their ranking

Actually, ~95% have 1+ years and ~80% have 2+ years. kwroche, check out LSN and this year's NU thread to see why I say that. Already, three applicants with sub-3.0 GPAs have been admitted to NU. See my above post for your chances to those other schools you list. NYU is your best shot at T6, but you'd probably need a retake to have a shot. If you are applying next year, it may be worth it to retake this June.

User avatar
citykitty
Posts: 465
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:03 pm

Re: 171 3.0 Solid Softs

Postby citykitty » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:03 pm

I got into UVA this cycle with similar numbers, because of softs. I think you have a decent chance at mid t14 without a retake, if you can write a really good PS and GPA addendum that explains that the situation has been resolved. If you think you can do better though, I wouldn't say to not retake. A few more points would make the mid 14 more solid IMO.

kwroche
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:37 pm

Re: 171 3.0 Solid Softs

Postby kwroche » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:16 pm

Thanks for all the advice Samara. Right now I am thinking that pulling off retaking the June LSAT might be a bit tough due to what my work schedule will look like then, but I am definitely still considering it. I read your splitter post, and found your insight on the ED at Virginia interesting.
However, Northwestern I would say is my target school, seeing as my Real Estate practice is in Chicago, and I live three blocks from the school haha. Would you say it would be more advantageous for me then to go ED at Northwestern? Does it significantly boost my chances?

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: 171 3.0 Solid Softs

Postby Miracle » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:17 pm

Def have a shot at T-14. There were many acceptances with that GPA at T14, but slightly higher LSAT. With that said i would say re-take and you are good to go for T-14 next cycle. I know point is only a point but you would have a better shot with 172+

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: 171 3.0 Solid Softs

Postby Samara » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:43 pm

kwroche wrote:Thanks for all the advice Samara. Right now I am thinking that pulling off retaking the June LSAT might be a bit tough due to what my work schedule will look like then, but I am definitely still considering it. I read your splitter post, and found your insight on the ED at Virginia interesting.
However, Northwestern I would say is my target school, seeing as my Real Estate practice is in Chicago, and I live three blocks from the school haha. Would you say it would be more advantageous for me then to go ED at Northwestern? Does it significantly boost my chances?

If you're down with Northwestern, it's probably not worth it to try a retake, especially if work and such would interfere with studying. Applying ED is less valuable now, because of their new ED full-tuition scholarship program, but can still help demonstrate your commitment and be a boost. What is more important for NU is the why NU essay and the on-campus interview.

User avatar
Perdevise
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:45 pm

Re: 171 3.0 Solid Softs

Postby Perdevise » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:44 pm

Maybe a retake is a good idea. If OP can easily score in the mid to upper 170s, the boost in his index could easily mean more scholarship money.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests