Splitter problem

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
Duramax80
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:34 pm

Splitter problem

Postby Duramax80 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:48 pm

Ive looked at LSAC and LSP predictors, as well as LSN and HourUmd's stuff and I am completely lost.

I have a 2.68 GPA, a 160 LSAT, non URM.

I want to go to: (LSAC Probability) (LSP prediction)

Tennessee: (06%-19%) (DENY)
South Carolina: (31%-45%) (DENY)
LSU: (27%-49%) (DENY)
Mississippi: (09%-22%) (CONSIDER)
Missouri: (32%-66%) (DENY)
Kansas: (27%-48%) (DENY)
Ga State: (part time) (09%-20%) (DENY)
Indiana (indianapolis): (46%-61%) (CONSIDER)

Apart from the inconsistencies above, LSN and HourUmd show people with stats like mine being accepted AND rejected from each of these schools. Some people have better stats and got rejected, but some have worse stats and got accepted. This data is from 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 admission cycles. None of the stats I am referring to apply to URM or NonTrad students.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? DO I HAVE A SHOT?

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Splitter problem

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:53 pm

Duramax80 wrote:Apart from the inconsistencies above, LSN and HourUmd show people with stats like mine being accepted AND rejected from each of these schools. Some people have better stats and got rejected, but some have worse stats and got accepted. This data is from 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 admission cycles. None of the stats I am referring to apply to URM or NonTrad students.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? DO I HAVE A SHOT?

It means that as expected and proven by cycle after cycle, splitters are very difficult to predict with any type of accuracy. It also means that you should probably considering retaking to make up for the mediocre GPA.

User avatar
Duramax80
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:34 pm

Re: Splitter problem

Postby Duramax80 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:57 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Duramax80 wrote:Apart from the inconsistencies above, LSN and HourUmd show people with stats like mine being accepted AND rejected from each of these schools. Some people have better stats and got rejected, but some have worse stats and got accepted. This data is from 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 admission cycles. None of the stats I am referring to apply to URM or NonTrad students.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? DO I HAVE A SHOT?

It means that as expected and proven by cycle after cycle, splitters are very difficult to predict with any type of accuracy. It also means that you should probably considering retaking to make up for the mediocre GPA.


Yeah, I guess thats true. I cant retake if I want a free ride. If I retake, I pay my own way, and I see going to a TTT or TTTT for free as a better option than a Tier 2 with 150k debt. Unfortunately, it's this cycle or bust. Any ideas on the best school I can get into?

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Splitter problem

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:00 pm

Duramax80 wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Duramax80 wrote:Apart from the inconsistencies above, LSN and HourUmd show people with stats like mine being accepted AND rejected from each of these schools. Some people have better stats and got rejected, but some have worse stats and got accepted. This data is from 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 admission cycles. None of the stats I am referring to apply to URM or NonTrad students.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? DO I HAVE A SHOT?

It means that as expected and proven by cycle after cycle, splitters are very difficult to predict with any type of accuracy. It also means that you should probably considering retaking to make up for the mediocre GPA.


Yeah, I guess thats true. I cant retake if I want a free ride. If I retake, I pay my own way, and I see going to a TTT or TTTT for free as a better option than a Tier 2 with 150k debt. Unfortunately, it's this cycle or bust. Any ideas on the best school I can get into?

Why is it this cycle or bust? Why can't you get the financing (I'm assuming from someone else) next year?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Splitter problem

Postby bk1 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:02 pm

Duramax80 wrote:Unfortunately, it's this cycle or bust.


Someone got a gun to your head?

User avatar
Duramax80
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:34 pm

Re: Splitter problem

Postby Duramax80 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:14 pm

bk1 wrote:
Duramax80 wrote:Unfortunately, it's this cycle or bust.


Someone got a gun to your head?


Metaphorically, yes. If I go to law school this year, my tuition and expenses are fully covered. If I wait for next year, I'm on my own. I would prefer to not have debt coming out of a worse school, rather than taking on debt and going to a higher ranked school.

Its like this, I can go to Florida Coastal for free, live for free, eat for free, etc... Or I can wait until next year, hopefully do better on the LSAT, and then go to FSU with serious debt. I dont want to go to Florida Coastal, but I would rather come out with a JD and no debt, than come out with a shinier JD and $150,000 in debt. Ya know? ...first world problems...

Thats why I want to know the absolute best school I can get into with my stats, and the schools I listed above are my reach-schools. Think I have a chance?

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Splitter problem

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:22 pm

Duramax80 wrote:
bk1 wrote:
Duramax80 wrote:Unfortunately, it's this cycle or bust.


Someone got a gun to your head?


Metaphorically, yes. If I go to law school this year, my tuition and expenses are fully covered. If I wait for next year, I'm on my own. I would prefer to not have debt coming out of a worse school, rather than taking on debt and going to a higher ranked school.

Its like this, I can go to Florida Coastal for free, live for free, eat for free, etc... Or I can wait until next year, hopefully do better on the LSAT, and then go to FSU with serious debt. I dont want to go to Florida Coastal, but I would rather come out with a JD and no debt, than come out with a shinier JD and $150,000 in debt. Ya know? ...first world problems...

Thats why I want to know the absolute best school I can get into with my stats, and the schools I listed above are my reach-schools. Think I have a chance?

We still can't answer your question without figuring out what this thing is that is handcuffing you into attending school in the fall. From your description it sounds like your parents are your financiers. Why will they pay everything this year, but won't contribute a dime next year? Your best best is retake and get into a better school that is worth your parents money. If you study your ass off and can break 165 or even 170, you can attend a great school and if your can convince your parents that delaying matriculation until next year after retake is in your best interest (and theirs, for that matter b/c they will be paying for a school that is worth their money), for free.

User avatar
Duramax80
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:34 pm

Re: Splitter problem

Postby Duramax80 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:45 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Duramax80 wrote:
bk1 wrote:
Duramax80 wrote:Unfortunately, it's this cycle or bust.


Someone got a gun to your head?


Metaphorically, yes. If I go to law school this year, my tuition and expenses are fully covered. If I wait for next year, I'm on my own. I would prefer to not have debt coming out of a worse school, rather than taking on debt and going to a higher ranked school.

Its like this, I can go to Florida Coastal for free, live for free, eat for free, etc... Or I can wait until next year, hopefully do better on the LSAT, and then go to FSU with serious debt. I dont want to go to Florida Coastal, but I would rather come out with a JD and no debt, than come out with a shinier JD and $150,000 in debt. Ya know? ...first world problems...

Thats why I want to know the absolute best school I can get into with my stats, and the schools I listed above are my reach-schools. Think I have a chance?

We still can't answer your question without figuring out what this thing is that is handcuffing you into attending school in the fall. From your description it sounds like your parents are your financiers. Why will they pay everything this year, but won't contribute a dime next year? Your best best is retake and get into a better school that is worth your parents money. If you study your ass off and can break 165 or even 170, you can attend a great school and if your can convince your parents that delaying matriculation until next year after retake is in your best interest (and theirs, for that matter b/c they will be paying for a school that is worth their money), for free.


Haha, yeah it my parents, I am not some dirty old man's love slave. I'll keep working on them, but from where Im standing, they dont give a fuck and think a JD from FSU is the same thing as a JD from Fl Coastal. Their argument is that I have the connections to plug myself into several legal markets, which is correct, but I just dont want to get stuck at a TTTT. If it doesnt work out, then I guess I can transfer, but thats no guarantee either. Id much rather retake, but like I said, I'd much rather not have any debt. Besides, my dime piece is making bank and she'll float me for a while. :wink:

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Splitter problem

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:58 pm

Duramax80 wrote:I'll keep working on them, but from where Im standing, they dont give a fuck and think a JD from FSU is the same thing as a JD from Fl Coastal.

So explain to them the reality of the differences that that exist and your opportunities from each school. Explain to them the benefits of attending FSU vs. Coastal and provide them with the evidence of the state that the legal market is in.
Duramax80 wrote:Their argument is that I have the connections to plug myself into several legal markets, which is correct, but I just dont want to get stuck at a TTTT.

Connections (unless your Dad is a rainmaker in Biglaw) are not always a guaranteed way to get a job, especially in this economy. Firms close, connections are laid off, etc.
Duramax80 wrote:If it doesnt work out, then I guess I can transfer, but thats no guarantee either.

Bingo.
Duramax80 wrote:Id much rather retake, but like I said, I'd much rather not have any debt.

Again, explain to your parents the benefit of retaking for both your opportunities and subsequently, your ability to take advantage of their generosity. Show them how retaking and attending a better school is better use of their money and your time and effort.

I don't see how, when faced with the reality of attending a school like Coastal, your parents won't be able to see that paying anything close to sticker for Coastal isn't a prudent use of their money.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests