159/3.523, C&F issues Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
89vision

Bronze

159/3.523, C&F issues

Post by 89vision » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:43 am

Didn't realize I could get extended time on the LSAT. I was registered with my schools disability service. I am calling LSAC about extended time.

159/3.52 (3.43/3.45 LSAC)

Pitt
Temple
PSU
Cincy
Lewis and Clark
Syracuse
MSU
Louisville
Richmond
Kentucky
All fee waivers

I am calling LSAC to discuss extended time for a documented mental disorder (I can opt for extended time on tests if needed, never used, extended time on assignments).

Studied 2-3 months, while changing medications

Drug violation, resulted in rehab. Alcohol violation, resulted in rehab. Bipolar disorder recorded in my files.

Thanks in advance.

almostchinese

New

Re: 159/3.523, C&F issues

Post by almostchinese » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:25 am

Can only speak to the drug issue a bit. A friend of mine is a practicing attorney and had no problem getting into a tier 3 and even transferring to a tier 1 his second year with a disclosed felony marijuana charge. Law school won't be the problem, there is a convicted murderer that got into tulane. The bar examiner might be tougher. He wasn't allowed into the bar in the state he got is JD, returned to his home state and was allowed onto the bar there. After a couple years of practice there he was then allowed to sit for and be accepted to the bar he originally wanted onto in the first place. Don't conceal anything and hope for the best. You can even call the bar examiner in the state you hope to practice and ask them. I asked MN, WI, and CO bar about a pot ticket I got in college and they said it wouldn't cause a delay. A felony or a drugged driving or a serious misdemeanor might be a different story. Hope it helps. I'm applying to Pitt, temple, lc, louisville also. Good luck!

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:52 am

89vision wrote:Didn't realize I could get extended time on the LSAT. I was registered with my schools disability service. I am calling LSAC about extended time.

159/3.52 (3.43/3.45 LSAC)

Pitt
Temple
PSU
Cincy
Lewis and Clark
Syracuse
MSU
Louisville
Richmond
Kentucky
All fee waivers

I am calling LSAC to discuss extended time for a documented mental disorder (I can opt for extended time on tests if needed, never used, extended time on assignments).

Studied 2-3 months, while changing medications

Drug violation, resulted in rehab. Alcohol violation, resulted in rehab. Bipolar disorder recorded in my files.

Thanks in advance.

Lawyers have higher instances for depression, drugs and alcohol problems than most other professions. That said, they usually don't start out that way ... So you could look at this in one of two ways:

1) You already discovered your demons and have a head start at getting them under control; or

2) You have a pre-disposition to destructive behavior and this profession might not be a great choice for you.

Only you can tell which of the above is true. As far as C&F goes, I would consult a local attorney in the state in which you hope to practice. You should speak with an attorney that focuses part of his or her practice on attorney misconduct. Only they will be situated to tell you what obstacles you face and how best to clear them. I would think you can be admitted, but there might be certain steps you should take before you are sitting across the table from a bar examiner.

Or you could just give her a call and ask her for advice:

http://newsok.com/nichols-hills-attorne ... le/3637317

89vision

Bronze

Post by 89vision » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:34 pm

To clarify: all offenses were school related. No criminal charges, other than 2 speeding tickets. Does that make it less severe?

89vision

Bronze

Post by 89vision » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:45 am

almostchinese wrote:Can only speak to the drug issue a bit. A friend of mine is a practicing attorney and had no problem getting into a tier 3 and even transferring to a tier 1 his second year with a disclosed felony marijuana charge. Law school won't be the problem, there is a convicted murderer that got into tulane. The bar examiner might be tougher. He wasn't allowed into the bar in the state he got is JD, returned to his home state and was allowed onto the bar there. After a couple years of practice there he was then allowed to sit for and be accepted to the bar he originally wanted onto in the first place. Don't conceal anything and hope for the best. You can even call the bar examiner in the state you hope to practice and ask them. I asked MN, WI, and CO bar about a pot ticket I got in college and they said it wouldn't cause a delay. A felony or a drugged driving or a serious misdemeanor might be a different story. Hope it helps. I'm applying to Pitt, temple, lc, louisville also. Good luck!

Thanks! I'm hoping my issues won't be as big a deal because I don't have any arrests. I looked up the bar in my state, and it said mental health and substance abuse were only issues if they currently impacted your ability to practice. I would hope in 3 years the issues I've had will be resolved. I posted this in what are my chances, but no responses. I would appreciate any feedback or insight. I'm the only one in my family to apply to grad school, and this is new to me.

3rd violation. Drug related.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”