How strong are my results?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
nramsay
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:11 pm

How strong are my results?

Postby nramsay » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:05 pm

I am new to the forum and to looking at law schools and I was just hoping to get a better idea of where I stand. I got my LSAT score yesterday and it was a 145 and I calculated my GPA which is a 3.7 With these numbers do I have a realistic chance of getting into a law school? The schools I am applying to say that the average GPA to get in is about 3.6 and this is 60% of you application so in that regard I should be in good shape. I took the LSAT twice, the first time was an exploratory experience and with no studying I rightly only scored 133. I took it again in December at least having an idea what to expect and still with no studying got a 145. The average LSAT is 158 for the schools I want to be in and they recommend about a 150 with this component being 40% of the application. So my 145 is a little low I know. I am fortunate enough to have an actual judge and graduate of the main school I want to get in who will be getting in touch with the school on my behalf. The last two years I've been a Dean's list student and I feel I would do well at law school. Do I have a shot or am I looking at waiting another year and having to do the LSAT again once or twice?

User avatar
danitt
Posts: 1984
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: How strong are my results?

Postby danitt » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:09 pm

Not sure if serious......

User avatar
PR-0927
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:52 am

Re: How strong are my results?

Postby PR-0927 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:12 pm

I hate to say this, but I honestly think you need to study and take the LSAT again. Taking it twice without studying, while having a 3.7 GPA just indicates to schools that you aren't serious about law school.

I made the mistake of applying to only the top 35 schools last year after taking the LSAT last year twice and getting a 159 both times. Got in nowhere. Just took it again and got a 171. This is what resilience can do.

nramsay
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:11 pm

Re: How strong are my results?

Postby nramsay » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:16 pm

PR-0927 wrote:I hate to say this, but I honestly think you need to study and take the LSAT again. Taking it twice without studying, while having a 3.7 GPA just indicates to schools that you aren't serious about law school.

I made the mistake of applying to only the top 35 schools last year after taking the LSAT last year twice and getting a 159 both times. Got in nowhere. Just took it again and got a 171. This is what resilience can do.


Fair enough. I didn't put the work into the LSAT that I should have. I felt it wasn't something you could prepare for and I was so discouraged by my initial result that I had given up hope but decided last minute to write it again for the hell of it. I had a breakthrough a couple nights before the test and suddenly I felt I could do a lot better. I really feel with taking a LSAT course and buying some study books I could easily be in the mid 150s where I should be. I guess I was just trying to get an idea if I had any hope for this year or if I had to keep working at it. Thanks for the advice

User avatar
S-IV
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:48 pm

Re: How strong are my results?

Postby S-IV » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:16 pm

I'd suggest reading more through the forum - the What Are My Chances section especially.

Most users are going to tell you one of two things: 1.) Don't bother going to law school because your numbers will not allow you to go to a law school worth going to if you actually want a job one day. 2.) Retake the LSAT.

To me, it seems like you need to do more research before you make this investment of time and money if you do matriculate. Merely assuming you'll do well in law school is probably necessary to apply, but not sufficient. Consider finances, opportunity cost of time, other career options, and the realistic possibilities of employment from your target school.

Good luck!

User avatar
MachineLemon
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:47 am

Re: How strong are my results?

Postby MachineLemon » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:18 pm

nramsay wrote: With these numbers do I have a realistic chance of getting into a law school?


Not any school whose job prospects warrant its tuition.

nramsay wrote:GPA to get in is about 3.6 and this is 60% of you application so in that regard I should be in good shape.


This is probably false at this school, and certainly false for most schools. For GPA, you just need to hit their cut-off (~25th percentile). A super high LSAT may get them to be more flexible on this cut-off.

nramsay wrote:I took the LSAT twice, the first time was an exploratory experience and with no studying I rightly only scored 133.


Do not take the LSAT experimentally, you only get 3 chances. A 133 is only slightly better than randomly guessing (~128)

nramsay wrote:I took it again in December at least having an idea what to expect and still with no studying got a 145. The average LSAT is 158 for the schools I want to be in and they recommend about a 150 with this component being 40% of the application. So my 145 is a little low I know.


Sorry, but you will not be admitted.

nramsay wrote:Do I have a shot or am I looking at waiting another year and having to do the LSAT again once or twice?


You can only take the test once more (at least for the next few years). You should take a year off, get a job, and begin an intensive program of study.

User avatar
PR-0927
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:52 am

Re: How strong are my results?

Postby PR-0927 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:20 pm

nramsay wrote:Fair enough. I didn't put the work into the LSAT that I should have. I felt it wasn't something you could prepare for and I was so discouraged by my initial result that I had given up hope but decided last minute to write it again for the hell of it. I had a breakthrough a couple nights before the test and suddenly I felt I could do a lot better. I really feel with taking a LSAT course and buying some study books I could easily be in the mid 150s where I should be. I guess I was just trying to get an idea if I had any hope for this year or if I had to keep working at it. Thanks for the advice



I would recommend it highly. I just took the year off after graduating from undergrad to study for the LSAT. Did 51 unique practice tests (plus my two real ones). No classes. But I did have the PowerScore LSAT books (practice tests helped WAY more, however). LSDAS GPA (the combined GPA of all schools) of 3.75 (3.73 at Ohio State, 4.0 at Kent State). They really don't seem to care much about you if you have a high GPA but a low LSAT. It's HEAVILY weighted towards the LSAT, sadly.

By the way, the whole time I practiced (even before the first two attempts), I got great practice test scores. Prior to this third attempt, my scores solidly sat between 162-170, with most at 165-168.
Last edited by PR-0927 on Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nramsay
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:11 pm

Re: How strong are my results?

Postby nramsay » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:22 pm

I wasn't aware you could only take the LSAT three times in 2 years. Is this the same in every country?

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: How strong are my results?

Postby cinephile » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:41 pm

nramsay wrote:I wasn't aware you could only take the LSAT three times in 2 years. Is this the same in every country?


Yes. LSAC is the same no matter where you take the test.

User avatar
vpintz
Posts: 1408
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:51 am

Re: How strong are my results?

Postby vpintz » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:49 am

I call shenanigans. OP took the LSAT to "explore it," and then didn't know you can only take it 3 times in a 2 year period...?




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests