Interesting, 155/3.9 - opinions appreciated Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
romothesavior

Diamond

Re: Interesting, 155/3.9 - opinions appreciated

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:10 pm

Philosopher King wrote:
Dr. Filth wrote:At your law school will they give bonus points for attendance?
I don't know. Even if there wasn't one bonus point for attendance I got a very safe-range A. I would still have As without good attendance, I'm just explaining how good of a student I am. I'm devoted. I haven't had an arthritis flare-up in college though yet. But, if I do, it will be okay because I never miss class!
You are objectively awful.

TurtlesAllTheWayDown

New

Post by TurtlesAllTheWayDown » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:58 pm

I know I'm late to the "Philistine King is a Phallusy" party, but does enumerating Philosophy classes taken remind anyone else of Will Farrell yelling about driving a Dodge Stratus or (Inclusive or) being able to do 100 pushups?

Philosopher King

Bronze

Post by Philosopher King » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:25 pm

romothesavior wrote:Hope you enjoy living with your parents and working at Starbucks. How someone could get that GPA and be content with a horrendous LAST score is beyond me. Such a waste.
Am I content with that score? Of course not. See, this is the problem. I thought I made that clear. Also, I would like to announce that I have an interview coming up to be a district manager. The job has a very high salary. I will be making more than either of my parents if I get it.

pugilistjd

Bronze

Post by pugilistjd » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:07 pm

Philosopher King wrote:
Dr. Filth wrote:Maybe your philosophy classes were easier than the average upper level course at your school. Or maybe philosophy classes are just like reeeally easy to get an A in.
Two of my professors put class grades up on D2L so I can tell what grades other students got. B is almost always the average grade, but oftentimes it is lower. I can give you two quick examples of my academic performance. First, in my 400-level political philosophy class, I was the only student (out of about 15) to get 100% on my three mid-term essays. In fact, nobody else even got all the points on one but I got all the points on all three. The class average was a low C. The professor asked me, as a favor, to use my essays as examples to students who question why they didn't get more points. She actually sent an email out with my essays (name removed) to all students as well. In my Ancient Philosophy class, only one-third of the students got the attendance bonus, which required one or no classes being missed. I missed no classes and I was never late, just as is the case with every other class. I also got the highest participation grade and I was in the highest cohort for pop quiz grades, meaning I did the readings, understood them to a reasonable degree and was able to participate in class discussion. My participation grade was nonetheless a 95% but nobody got higher. I wonder how I could have participated more when in many classes he would say "anyone other than [my name], want to answer." I could give more such examples.
Wow. As a philosophy major, I am amazed at how easy your 400-level courses seem compared to mine. In bioethics, for example, my professor never lectured. Instead, he had all the students give awkward, ill-prepared lectures on every single reading for the class, while he waited patiently for the opportunity to publicly humiliate them. So, unless you understood the material well on your own, you essentially had no chance of doing well on the mid-term/final. In other words, your attendance grade was essentially worthless. Also, pop quizzes and extra credit were reserved for low-level/required courses.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:14 pm

Guys, guys, most of us here have worthless liberal arts degrees. Stop with the dick measuring.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Philosopher King

Bronze

Post by Philosopher King » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:18 pm

pugilistjd wrote:Wow. As a philosophy major, I am amazed at how easy your 400-level courses seem compared to mine. In bioethics, for example, my professor never lectured. Instead, he had all the students give awkward, ill-prepared lectures on every single reading for the class, while he waited patiently for the opportunity to publicly humiliate them. So, unless you understood the material well on your own, you essentially had no chance of doing well on the mid-term/final. In other words, your attendance grade was essentially worthless. Also, pop quizzes and extra credit were reserved for low-level/required courses.
In my 400-level political philosophy class, the students did teach everyday (and they were graded on it). When you taught you had to know your subject very well. Every week, students were required to write a text analyses in which we had to explain one of the readings and make connections to other stuff. There were six essays required altogether for mid-terms and finals. There was also a final research paper due. There was no points given for attendance or participation. In my 400-level ethics class, we did some teaching but not as much--it mainly focused around a final paper, a mid-term, a final, and one presentation for each student on a topic of his or her choice. I wrote my final paper on the ethics of jury nullification and it turned out to be 32 pages long. I probably wrote well over 50 but after editing and cutting stuff that's what I got.

The Ancient philosophy class I discussed was a 200-level class and that is where I got the extra point for never missing a class and where class participation counted as 5% of the grade. The exams were very hard for that class (they were essay exams too that you had to write in class without book or notes--just like law school) and most of the grade rested on three exams (one cumulative final), several pop quizzes, and a final paper. My classes were not easy nor extremely hard. They were appropriately hard and demanding.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:25 pm

I would just like to point out that your exceedingly difficult Philosophy degree has prepared you to be a manager at Starbucks, a position I interviewed for at 20 without even having an undergrad degree.

Philosopher King

Bronze

Post by Philosopher King » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:32 pm

kalvano wrote:I would just like to point out that your exceedingly difficult Philosophy degree has prepared you to be a manager at Starbucks, a position I interviewed for at 20 without even having an undergrad degree.
I have an interview to be a district manager (not for Starbuck's) coming up soon.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:19 pm

Oh to be a fly on the wall during that interview.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Philosopher King

Bronze

Post by Philosopher King » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:22 pm

paratactical wrote:Oh to be a fly on the wall during that interview.
Why?

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:33 pm

Why isn't this thread dead yettttttt

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”